Do you think technology is advancing too fast?

sequoias

Premium Member
Reaction score
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Captivate (i897))

As read on the title....yes or no and explain why? I do think so. I rather have them slow down alittle.

1. Its not healthy for low income folks
2. Too much money spent on upgrading equipment
3. More stuff to the landfill, altho recycled products and recylcling programs for the products help, though.

Take us for an example. We are about 10 years behind on tv technology. We dont have hdtvs and use old boob tube crt tvs with 4:3 resolution.

Last edited:
Yes, I feel that way sometimes because I feel overwhelmed with all the new stuff that is out there and as a teacher, it is stressful trying to keep up with the digital natives (our students) so we can use all the resources they value in the classroom setting.

No. I love technology. Even if I can't afford it all now, prices go down quickly as new things come out.

I may be a generation behind each new product, but eventually it is mine.

I am low vision and love reading. I can't afford an ereader, but I have free programs from the online sellers that let me read books on a 32 inch screen.

Without technology, I probably would not be reading or talking to you now.

I would say that technologies are advancing rapidly. It will be difficult for all the IT (Information Technology) keeping up with all the new hardware and software. Also, require to take training courses to keep up with certifications. As I recalled, in college where students majoring computer technology, the number of students are getting smaller than before because they envision that it's hard to catch up the new technology and it's more of repetitive training involved. So, sometime they are scare of that.

For me.. at work as Management of Information Systems, I constantly read all the time to keep up what's new out there, whatever I see something new, it give me a new brainstorming idea to implement our IT dept. Difficult..yes....

I would say that technologies are advancing rapidly. It will be difficult for all the IT (Information Technology) keeping up with all the new hardware and software. Also, require to take training courses to keep up with certifications. As I recalled, in college where students majoring computer technology, the number of students are getting smaller than before because they envision that it's hard to catch up the new technology and it's more of repetitive training involved. So, sometime they are scare of that.

For me.. at work as Management of Information Systems, I constantly read all the time to keep up what's new out there, whatever I see something new, it give me a new brainstorming idea to implement our IT dept. Difficult..yes....

Very difficult, for example Google updated Android OS 3 times in a year, already with so many candid Android devices out there to update which is a pain in the arse. Theres too much mind boggling technologies coming out every few hours. :confused:

Very difficult, for example Google updated Android OS 3 times in a year, already with so many candid Android devices out there to update which is a pain in the arse. Theres too much mind boggling technologies coming out every few hours. :confused:

Then next day..this technology is obsolete.

Then next day..this technology is obsolete.

This remind me with the term of "obsolete"... When my father asked me to go with him to the military base store where you can get a very good low price there. He want me to help him to pick out a new laptop for him to travel with. So, we was at the computer dept and looking around, my father pointed out one laptop that he like and I look at it, then I took a deep sigh... and I told him..."Dad...this is obsolete now..they no longer make this", then I had to drag him to next area were it cost little higher than what he pointed out. He said.."Do I need all this stuff", I said to him, it's not about all the stuff... it becoming standard to the system. Like having built in webcam, SSD, SD memory slot and so on.... I told him, yes you will use all of those stuff!! You got camera right? you have SD memory card right? you can put it in there! He goes..."ooooh..I see" So he went ahead brought it. THen when we got home and show him how to work with webcam.. he look at me.."So that mean I can record a movie to tell everyone about the Will. This technology is great!!" I patted on my dad shoulder... yes... always something come out new.

Yeah I think technology is advancing too fast, I am having trouble keeping with how to use anything!! I am not not that great with technology!

No, We have no problem with that. We love to learn new for everyday. Google reader is my hobby time.

The technology advancing too fast is good for power efficiency as green, safety,etc.

Do you think technology is advancing too fast? no.

it's the implementation of technology that's too slow.

Yes, Technology are advancing a bit too fast. As soon as you bought new product, it's already obsolete by the minute you paid. Newer products have better options or hardware than previous one. But the thing are that even it's advancing too fast, It won't catch up on us till next year or so cuz too many people can't afford to replace hardware quickly.

Just like LCD, Plasma TV came out several years ago, many of us still own CRT tv till price dropped and CRT TV analog signal got cut off recently last year, forcing us to purchase newer TV with digital signal. As soon as I bought new LCD TVs, I learned that new internet TV came out just few weeks ago. It'll be my next TV for my basement as soon as I finished it. My kids love new LCD TV in family room with PS3 watching Netflix and BlueRay, they love watching BlueRay movie on 1080p crisp sharp clean screen.

Who knows we will have paper thin TV (OLED ect) coming out and we can just pin it on wall like a poster :rofl: Paper TV become no good, just crumble it up and toss it in trash or If you're so :pissed: over game, crumble it up and rip em up if you can afford to blow another $$$ for 2nd paper TV :rofl:

Another thing are that sometime new technological advancement can be bad and you get lucky to keep older device that allow you do what you want while new one been locked out to prevent copying or hacking ect. So it's kinda moot point.

I can understand IT technician's pain on upgrading equiptments. It's tough to keep it up but if you read updates more often, you'll keep urself updated. It's MIND BOGGLING too!!

I am seeing newer computers (desktops) are getting smaller and smaller. Soon enough in few years, we may have powerful desktop CPU size of pencil holder :rofl: . I've seen ITX and Nano ITX mobo as small as palm of your hand already in market few years ago. It wasn't powerful but newer processors and hardware helped change all that.

If anyone have lived through 60's and 70's would noticed that back then everything was big or huge till today everything are small and tiny but powerful. We see that as a amazing technological feats!

Catty

It is. At my work, I find lot of facinating development they are working now. One is a mind boggling development that I couldn't believe it. It a simple device that was made from home. I couldn't say what it is but I have to wait till they release the products. So whenever I saw their developments.. it's beyond our reach.

It is. At my work, I find lot of facinating development they are working now. One is a mind boggling development that I couldn't believe it. It a simple device that was made from home. I couldn't say what it is but I have to wait till they release the products. So whenever I saw their developments.. it's beyond our reach.

teleport?

I think technology is advancing fast, but I also think it is a good thing. Look at how technology is helping us everyday. Look at what we can do today, and how much we can learn today, etc. The world is a smaller place.

But, I can understand why some people don't like the evolution of technology, especially those people who lost their jobs...

I'm assuming sneaker technology.... perhaps sneakers with nanotechnology :eek3:

Fk that. I'll buy this eco-friendly sneakers;

green-sneaker-01.jpg

lol, eh Jiro , 'implementation of technology' LOL, lovely big words , makes your e-penis swells abit eh... no its call marketing and we cant force people to change ought to be demand ot else cause stability of lifestyle problems but on other hand, all of these has all ready happened and we got employment officers (eggnogs) and counsellors for those laid off in process...just to smooth out market/employment wrinkles in society....

lol your choice of word like implementation makes you seem impaitent

lol, eh Jiro , 'implementation of technology' LOL, lovely big words , makes your e-penis swells abit eh... no its call marketing and we cant force people to change ought to be demand ot else cause stability of lifestyle problems but on other hand, all of these has all ready happened and we got employment officers (eggnogs) and counsellors for those laid off in process...just to smooth out market/employment wrinkles in society....

lol your choice of word like implementation makes you seem impaitent

no.

"implementation of technology" - the tool is already out there for anybody to use but nobody's using it to its fullest use. People need to be creative.

example - iPhone/Android
implementation of iPhone - tracking package, GPS navigation, facebook, online shopping, photos, cars, schools, FaceTime, nanny cam, etc.

example - Twitter
implementation of Twitter - you figure it out

example - Nintendo Wii
implementation of Wii - you figure it out

no.

"implementation of technology" - the tool is already out there for anybody to use but nobody's using it to its fullest use. People need to be creative.

example - iPhone/Android
implementation of iPhone - tracking package, GPS navigation, facebook, online shopping, photos, cars, schools, FaceTime, nanny cam, etc.

example - Twitter

example - Nintendo Wii

well, not everyone is going to operate technology toys at the Geek levels, just like not every rich prick can drive a Ferrari poperly, they only have it cuz its an 'esteemed auto wonder' with a statement of class. Same thing with gimicky phone wham-box with wireless, whateveryou have-you got-in-it...its also to show how geeky you really are,just like having an exotic fast car it 'would be expected you'd drive like Magnum P.I. lol or Crocket in Miami Vice driving the daytona or later a Tessarosa..

no.

example - iPhone/Android

example - Twitter

example - Nintendo Wii

I learned that at retirement homes or nursing home, they use wii to exercise. I ever wonder without nurse's help, how would old geezer figure it out since their mind thinks the way they learned back olden time. :lol:

I show my dad who is 76 year old the HTC EVO. He looked at it like it just a pieces of brick :lol: Eventually, I show him how to turn on and showed him the pix and I told him just swipe the pix. He go it figured and fiddled around.
My mom said it's over her head using the EVO. I told her it's pretty simple finger swipe and tap.

I ever wonder all of Y generation retired and living in their 70's, 80's or 90's would be using advanced technology without a hitch, because of habit of using technology what they learned on hand for long time. Bet their grandkids would be shocked that they know how to use it from their "rasin" brain. :rofl:

:lol:

Catty

Back