YouTube Taking Down Sign Language Music Videos

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to notice more and more ASL videos being taken down on YouTube due to copyright infringement. Did anyone else notice the same?

What I don't get is why that's necessary if the sign language users on YouTube are not monetizing from the music used in their videos. They're really educating us deaf people and making us understand what the songs are about by using sign language.

I don't know, but I think it sucks that this is happening lately. If it weren't for these ASL music videos on YouTube, I would've have had a hard time understanding the lyrics in songs (I'm HOH for those that don't know).

Here's a video by "AllyBallyBabe" explaining what happened to some of her ASL videos, and what will happen if she continues signing songs for the deaf community and sign language users.

For those that don't know sign language, this is what she said:

Hi. I'm in school, that's why you see the blue background...

Ok, I'm doing this video because I have bad news and I'm sorry, but I feel I have to let you know this. YouTube emailed me and said my videos are infringment of copyright because of the songs used.

In the past I've tried explaining to YouTube that I don't make any money with my videos. I've only signed the songs for educational purposes and so forth. At first they said OK and that my videos can stay, but now about 10 videos or more were taken down. They basically told me ENOUGH NO MORE, and that if I continue creating ASL music videos, they will delete my account. This frightened me. My videos removed and account deleted??? I don't know what to do now.

If you have any suggestions of what I can do about this, please let me know. I really don't want my videos removed. I would like my videos to stay and have all users watch and enjoy my ASL music videos.

If my account gets deleted in the future, I will create a new account. The account name will be "AllyBallyBabe2006", ok? That will be my new account.

I just wanted to let you know that because I know many of you enjoy watching my videos. And I would really like for you to continue watching in the future. I really hope my account doesn't get deleted and that I'm safe.

Someone told me maybe YouTube keeps track of the video titles, and that may be the reason they remove such videos because of song names used as titles. Maybe, I don't know if it's true. Maybe I will try and title my music videos differently. I'll think about that.

Anyway, in case in the future you realize my account "AllyBallyBabe" is gone, you'll know why. If that happens, you already know my new account name (AllyBallyBabe2006).

I'm sorry. I hope this doesn't happen (crosses fingers).

See you all later. Bye.

What are your thoughts?

Yeah, I noticed a lot of YouTube videos were taken down by copyright infringement. If you upload someone else's music even if you made your own video, they will take it down. I seen this too common, the best way is to make your own video and music. This has been tricky for everyone, and YouTube take copyright serious perhaps with so many complaints they get.

From YouTube's Term of Use:

You agree to not engage in the use, copying, or distribution of any of the Content other than expressly permitted herein, including any use, copying, or distribution of User Submissions of third parties obtained through the Website for any commercial purposes.

More can be found here

It sure frustrates them when they have the video removed by YouTube because of this. And repeat violations will have the account locked up.

Its all music videos; not just the ones that are captioned or signed. Unfortunately, Youtube must do this. Otherwise, the big wigs will come after them. It's sad.

Man, that's annoying. In a way it is violating the law in sense of reproduction by other means, but they're ignoring the fact that it is for an ulterior purpose of goodwill. I guess the fact that it's a reproduction infringement overrides the fact that its for a good sake.

What's with society these days?

it's nothing wrong with you. Youtube.com do have fear from some big group might sue them for $$$$$$.

What if she signed the lyrics without the music?

I see somebody already made similar suggestion @ youtube.

Only situation for better that I can think of. Is to make youtube for deaf. Then they would understand WHY.

I am sort of disappoint the way youtube is doing. In fact, I am on my way over there and doing some videos and try my best to get them to delete my videos with my sign language in the music. I will continue, if I get suspended. It doesn't stop me. Proxy site are excellent for that!

Funny thing. I have few of videos on there with music. Copyrighted music. They haven't deleted me and I WASN'T singing in sign language. I simply was just danced a little bit. And these videos of mine aren't yet to deleted. Although they did notify me and all it did was gave the copyrighted company of these musics views of mine. Means. My views won't increase, but their views will increase FROM my videos.

That sucks! Since I'm learning sign language, I enjoy going onto youtube and listening to some of my favorite songs and watching them being signed. It just kind of disappoints me that youtube feels they must delete videos that actually serve an educational purpose.

I hope they don't remove the songs I interpreted. <sad> It's custom to acknowledge the artist and the title of the song in the interpretation of it, so I don't see how that is an infringement of copyright. It's not like we're claiming the song as our own work. <annoyed>

Maybe Youtube is worry about being sued because it is like a patent where the person have a right to use the songs or inventions otherwise someone is trying to steal his/her songs or inventions plus stealing his/her names. It is the ownership that the person is worry about from stealing. All the stealers think about is money only so that they can get rich and famous. It is like breaking into the house and robbing the most precious item and take it away from the owner. There are lots of strange people doing like that to innocense people like Ally. That is my opinion here. :hmm:

not fair for ppl who love to see sign language to sing.. they cant hear what music to say.... I think lady did goodheart for deaf ppl... i know hard for copy thing... they should know deaf ppl love to hear or see sign language to see it same thing they will vote to them but deaf cant vote they dont know what music say... oh well... i think sign language beautiful to see song with it.... make ppl happy smile...jazzyangel...

I'm starting to notice more and more ASL videos being taken down on YouTube due to copyright infringement. Did anyone else notice the same?

What I don't get is why that's necessary if the sign language users on YouTube are not monetizing from the music used in their videos. They're really educating us deaf people and making us understand what the songs are about by using sign language.

I don't know, but I think it sucks that this is happening lately. If it weren't for these ASL music videos on YouTube, I would've have had a hard time understanding the lyrics in songs (I'm HOH for those that don't know).

Here's a video by "AllyBallyBabe" explaining what happened to some of her ASL videos, and what will happen if she continues signing songs for the deaf community and sign language users.

YouTube - Some bad news...

For those that don't know sign language, this is what she said:

What are your thoughts?

Uhmmmmmmm can't we just sue the pants off the owners of YouTube in a class action suit for infringement to equal opportunity to media? The ASL videos give access to deaf and HH users by allowing them to 'see' the music when they cannot hear it. That's crazy. I have one ASL music video on there and I've not received any notification from You Tube in regards to it, however I did not sign the entire song just the chorus.

By the way, I am forwarding this to SeekGeo.com. He's good about getting the word out around the deaf community that frequents YouTube.

Uhmmmmmmm can't we just sue the pants off the owners of YouTube in a class action suit for infringement to equal opportunity to media? The ASL videos give access to deaf and HH users by allowing them to 'see' the music when they cannot hear it. That's crazy. I have one ASL music video on there and I've not received any notification from You Tube in regards to it, however I did not sign the entire song just the chorus.

The thing is, I think it's not Youtube that is voluntarily taking down the videos. It's being reported by third party or directly from the production companies. They hit up youtube, search around for their content, when they find it they slap youtube with a big "Take this down or we will see you to court" email, flexing their $$$, so youtube has no choice since it isn't a corporation that thrives on losing money in this method.

If we are to fight back, we need to go after them directly. Youtube's just a middleman service between us (the content receivers) and them (the content producers). Course, that doesn't mean that they don't understand what's going on, it's just we really need to point fingers at the right people.

*Sigh*

I've signed the petition, I don't know what else to do.

It is wrong that YouTube and the companies involved don't understand that deaf people have no other way to understand the music, especially songs that can be complex in understanding.

We will just have to wait and see.

I object! Why do they have to remove them as they are used to show the music in ASL for the deaf community. I think Youtube needs to re-consider the infringements.

You can't just blame YouTube for doing their job. They are saving their ass from legal issues. Copyright infringement is serious and too many people abuse that. If YouTube doens't take that down, they will face a huge lawsuit and have to pay millions for that. But they are doing their effort to monitor those video whoever uploaded. If they find it is unauthorized, they will disable the audio or delete the videos. Same thing you see before you start a movie, there is federal warning if you copy the movie with or without monetary gain will face 5 years in prison and/or 250,000 fine.

Copyright infringement is a law and it's not meant to be broken and YouTube is doing their job to follow the law.

Yeah I heard about a program that lets you rip off a YouTube video, strip all the audio out (music is a big one), and convert that into a MP3 file, thusly stealing the music content.

Sad to know.

Yeah I heard about a program that lets you rip off a YouTube video, strip all the audio out (music is a big one), and convert that into a MP3 file, thusly stealing the music content.

Sad to know.

It has always been very easy to record music. But, why would anyone want to rip music from a YouTube video anyway? It is sad, because it is not worth ripping music from YouTube videos when you download better quality music...

I look forward to the day when those big record labels collapse... They cannot win unless they shut down the internet.

Anyway, here are some protest vidoes regarding YouTube and Warner...

YouTube - warner music

Back