Cop Issues Speeding Ticket, Asks Driver for a Date and She Sues Him

rockin'robin

Reaction score
A Chicago police officer allegedly turned a $132 speeding ticket into a pick-up opportunity when he later tracked down the female driver and asked her out, saying the least he could do for the money he cost her was to treat her to dinner, according to a lawsuit the woman filed in federal court.

Evagelina Paredes filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Chicago, accusing police officer Chris Collins of violating her privacy, according to the Associated Press. She alleges that after she was ticketed on Oct. 22, Collins searched for her address in the motor-vehicle database and left a handwritten note on the windshield of her car, which was parked outside her apartment in the Chicago suburb of Stickney, asking her out on a date.

In the note, a copy of which appeared was included in the court documents and was obtained by the Associated Press, the 27-year-old police officer tried to woo the female driver with humor and a seemingly heartfelt plea.

"It's Chris … that ugly bald Stickney cop who gave you that ticket. … I know this may seem crazy and you're probably right, but truth is I have not stopped thinking about you since. I don't expect a girl as attractive as you to … even go for a guy like me, but I'm taking a shot anyways."

"I did cost you $132 - least I can do is buy you dinner," the note reportedly read.

he scenario is not that far off from the "meet-cutes" of Hollywood romantic comedies. In the 2011 hit "Bridesmaids," Kirsten Wiig's character starts a relationship with the traffic cop who let her out of a ticket for a broken taillight.

Arguably, it's a lot less "cute" when it happens in real-life.

Paredes claims that the note caused her to "suffer great fear and anxiety." In the lawsuit, which seeks unspecified payments in damages, saccording to the Associated Press, she alleges that Collins used his position as a police officer to "manipulate" her into going out with him. Collins declined to comment to the Associated Press.

Cop Issues Speeding Ticket, Asks Driver for a Date and She Sues Him | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!

If you took a poll on the number of women who are pulled over, I believe you would find there is a disproportionate number of hot looking ones.

I'm sure this happens all the time.

Paredes claims that the note caused her to "suffer great fear and anxiety."

Sorry but..

lol.

Welcome to the world of being an attractive woman. If I could sue every single creepy/stalker-ish guy.....

"It's Chris … that ugly bald Stickney cop who gave you that ticket.

:laugh2:

The woman is totally overreacting, but that cop is a friggin moron. Leaving a note on her windshield? For real?

This is amateur hour.

No, it is just downright creepy.

Obviously the cop watched too many Hollywood movies about cops picking up on attractive women.

No, it is just downright creepy.

Obviously the cop watched too many Hollywood movies about cops picking up on attractive women.

Agree, it's creepy...and I'm glad the lady is taking him to Court!...It's happened to me before, but I didn't have the guts to take it to court. Bet he loses his job.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

What an idiot. He should know to meet women during his time off from work.

Agree, it's creepy...and I'm glad the lady is taking him to Court!...It's happened to me before, but I didn't have the guts to take it to court. Bet he loses his job.

I certainly hope so. Cops are out of control.

I wouldn't generalize that "cops are out of control," but no question, this particular cop is. If he doesn't lose his job, at least he is going to have some significant "retraining" to do.

I do not think she is over-reacting, either. A guy who has state permission to carry a gun looks up your address and leaves notes on your car? I would be freaked out too. Good for her for bringing suit.

I wouldn't generalize that "cops are out of control," but no question, this particular cop is. If he doesn't lose his job, at least he is going to have some significant "retraining" to do.

I do not think she is over-reacting, either. A guy who has state permission to carry a gun looks up your address and leaves notes on your car? I would be freaked out too. Good for her for bringing suit.

Agree, Beach...the cop knows her address...who knows what he might do to the lady if she refuses to go out with him....he could stop her for nothing, and give her another ticket...even stalk and harrass her...So her only recourse was to take it to Court, and I applaud her for her bravery!

The cop was a rookie who was wrong and will be spanked for it. The woman is most likely over reacting but who really knows for sure. If all he did was ask her out and nothing more came of it then she went overboard. Reporting it was proper and then if more came of it then she would be entitled to sue. He made a simple mistake that will cost him possibly dearly. I don't agree with what he did but I think she over reacted in this case if all of the facts are present.

Cops are definitely not out of control. The media is out of control! It jumps on any opportunity to publish this crap even if it isn't true. There are far less bad cops out there then most people realize. It really jerks my chain when a bad cop does something wrong and now we're all a bunch of out of control Nazi's! Nothing could be further from the truth, especially in this lawsuit happy world we live in. A lot of cops are half afraid of doing their jobs due to fear of being sued. Let's talk about all the bad doctors, lawyers , teachers, preachers, plumbers, etc...!!! Many more of them than bad cops! Just sayin'!

The cop was a rookie who was wrong and will be spanked for it. The woman is most likely over reacting but who really knows for sure. If all he did was ask her out and nothing more came of it then she went overboard. Reporting it was proper and then if more came of it then she would be entitled to sue. He made a simple mistake that will cost him possibly dearly. I don't agree with what he did but I think she over reacted in this case if all of the facts are present.

Agree 100%

Cops are definitely not out of control. The media is out of control! It jumps on any opportunity to publish this crap even if it isn't true. There are far less bad cops out there then most people realize. It really jerks my chain when a bad cop does something wrong and now we're all a bunch of out of control Nazi's! Nothing could be further from the truth, especially in this lawsuit happy world we live in. A lot of cops are half afraid of doing their jobs due to fear of being sued. Let's talk about all the bad doctors, lawyers , teachers, preachers, plumbers, etc...!!! Many more of them than bad cops! Just sayin'!

I agree that the number of bad cops out there is probably a lot smaller than we might think; at the same time, the number IS significant, and it is being ignored and discounted by the people who have the ability to make changes in LEO behavior and by LEOs themselves. And let's face it, law enforcement is not an area where ANY percentage of corruption or incompetence is acceptable. Not even .0001% Let's not compare LEOs to plumbers, teachers, lawyers, etc. (BTW, if you want to talk about a demographic that gets a much worse rap than it deserves, let's talk about the teaching profession. No matter how bad cops are demonized, teachers have it worse).

Instead, let's compare the acceptable levels of corruption and incompetence in LEO agencies to that allowed in commercial airline pilots and air traffic controllers.

There, that put things into perspective, didn't it?

This is making me think of the 1990s movie, "Unlawful Entry".

Do I ask a customer who bought a bike to go out with me?

Can a Home Depot cashier ask out a customer ??

Just be careful how you ask someone out.

The policeman went overboard. He did it wrong.

Thru the years, I have had many run-ins with "bad cops"....I'm not saying they are all bad, one of my best friends was on the SWAT team...when I talked to him about it all, and some of the episodes that I had endured with "bad cops"...he said, "well, we're trying to weed them out"...Some Cops do cross the line, and know that women can be easy manipulated, not so much with men, tho'.

Still, Kudos to the Lady for taking the Cop to Court!...Wish I would have had her guts to do so.

Do I ask a customer who bought a bike to go out with me?

Can a Home Depot cashier ask out a customer ??

Just be careful how you ask someone out.

The policeman went overboard. He did it wrong.

You have the right and can do it if you do it right! Maybe not the best idea but if you really want to ask then go for it! Just be careful how and where you handle it.

Agree 100%

I agree that the number of bad cops out there is probably a lot smaller than we might think; at the same time, the number IS significant, and it is being ignored and discounted by the people who have the ability to make changes in LEO behavior and by LEOs themselves. And let's face it, law enforcement is not an area where ANY percentage of corruption or incompetence is acceptable. Not even .0001% Let's not compare LEOs to plumbers, teachers, lawyers, etc. (BTW, if you want to talk about a demographic that gets a much worse rap than it deserves, let's talk about the teaching profession. No matter how bad cops are demonized, teachers have it worse).

Instead, let's compare the acceptable levels of corruption and incompetence in LEO agencies to that allowed in commercial airline pilots and air traffic controllers.

There, that put things into perspective, didn't it?

That my friend is a great comparison! LOL! There is definitely no room for corruption among cops and no room for idiot ATCs or airline pilots! I have dealt with both in my world!

That my friend is a great comparison! LOL! There is definitely no room for corruption among cops and no room for idiot ATCs or airline pilots! I have dealt with both in my world!

Yes, when people's lives, physical/mental well-being, or civil rights are at stake, there really just is no excuse for poor decision-making and corrupt behavior.

And please do share some of your stories about idiot ATCs and pilots. I bet you've got a few good ones. :)

Back