Geocaching

JClarke

AD Veteran
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you one of them? I'm interested to hear your stories!

For the newbies, for your interest - Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

If you have not done it yet, I'd recommend you to go out and try it, I promise you in the end, you will be definitely hooked! There is PLENTY of hidden spots across united states of america.

Did it once, kinda, with my daughter for a school project.
I know some people on a train forum I'm on do it.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

after a month or so.... you'll get bored of it.

what GPS are you using? Garmin eTrex is more than enough for this fun.

what GPS are you using? Garmin eTrex is more than enough for this fun.
I use my iPhone 5, with their app. Awesome.

and Jiro, you are a killjoy, like botts said, if you just continue, it will be a great fun to kill the time, as you go! :P

I can't seem to get my Garmin 76csx to work with the geo site. I've been trying to get into it.

ah not bad :thumb:

just FYI - sometimes iPhone will fail in a certain location since it also relies on cell signal so it's nice to have a backup like Garmin eTrex. it's a cheap and simple device.

and Jiro, you are a killjoy, like botts said, if you just continue, it will be a great fun to kill the time, as you go! :P

the reason why it's not much of a fun to me after a while because.... it's just too easy to find these treasures. it's just not very challenging anymore. but that's just me. I get bored fast.

what I do during warmer season is play TAG O'RAMA with motorcycle. In a forum thread, somebody would post a picture of a certain location with his bike and people will have to figure out where is it. Once they figured it out, they will have to ride to that specific location and take a pix of it with their motorcycle... and then find another place.... take a pix and post it up.

the only simple rule is that each thread has a specific parameter for location. for ie - I'm in 2 threads - Northern NJ and NYC. NYC Tag O'Rama must be limited to NYC territory only... not NY state or NJ.

I can't seem to get my Garmin 76csx to work with the geo site. I've been trying to get into it.

that 76csx is good but it's geared toward mariner type. I have GPSMAP 276C for my motorcycle. overkill? probably LOL! but it makes an excellent sturdy all-weather GPS. the only disadvantage - it takes quite a bit while to type in address lol since it's not a touch-screen.

not sure why you're having an issue with it. the best I can suggest is to download all latest firmwares and softwares.... and if nada, email them? ask a question in geocaching forum?

ah not bad :thumb:

just FYI - sometimes iPhone will fail in a certain location since it also relies on cell signal so it's nice to have a backup like Garmin eTrex. it's a cheap and simple device.

Yep, I am aware of this, me and Sharlene (AD'er here) will invest one, sometime soon. For the time being, we will stick to the areas that have cell reception! :mrgreen:

There are places to Geocache in Australia? I thought the place was just a giant red desert with 10-12 trees...........like Mars......

There are places to Geocache in Australia? I thought the place was just a giant red desert with 10-12 trees...........like Mars......
If you have checked their map on geocaching, it is not just Australia - it is all over the world.

that 76csx is good but it's geared toward mariner type. I have GPSMAP 276C for my motorcycle. overkill? probably LOL! but it makes an excellent sturdy all-weather GPS. the only disadvantage - it takes quite a bit while to type in address lol since it's not a touch-screen.

not sure why you're having an issue with it. the best I can suggest is to download all latest firmwares and softwares.... and if nada, email them? ask a question in geocaching forum?

Yes, but my Marina days are over for now. So, I'll make use of it in other ways.

I'll try that.

Thanks

Jiro, I have the Garmin eTrex 20 - since last july, and it is a pretty little gem however I still use my iPhone 5s....lol

I am pretty much aware about its cell signal which is not precise on the spot, thats why i have a rule to search around within 5m of the GZ spot.

I don't do this, but I have a friend on FB that does this all the time. Well, now I have two FB friends that do it now that JClarke has joined the Geocaching fun. I may try it sometime, but all I have is an iPhone 4 which may not be accurate or even capable of this at all.

Back