working out

paperclip

Reaction score
When you work out - whom are you most comfortable working out with?

What is the deciding factor that makes you comfortable or uncomfortable? Gender, skill level, sport, goals, ect...

Share any success stories or flops!

I like working out at a gym but without a buddy. I tend to focus better when I go alone. Sometimes I will take a friend with me to walk in the park, but that's a little more low impact.

I enjoy working out. I've been in both women-only club and "co-ed" - I liked both for different reasons. The women-only - I like the circuit idea as it seems to work for me and the machines are built for someone my size-I'm a small person, about 100 pounds.
I did like the atmosphere and variety of the machines at the "general" gym, but it's hard for me to figure out mechanics and written directions<those were on the machines> tend to be confusing - I have a learning disability. Some of those machines at the co-ed place were built for these huge "Arnold-type" guys it seemed to me and while I honestly certainly enjoyed watching them here and there :giggle: <and the "built" women as well> - in the end the distance with that particular place and how it was set up in terms of how things "worked" in the gym, wasn't quite right for me.

I don't have any friends to go with me and I don't really care who's there, I'm not there for conversation. Gender, skill level - I don't care.
I've tried things Zumba, step-dancing and aerobics and they were very hard for me with my difficulty with sequence and spatial orientation, though I actually enjoyed Zumba and would do that again, though I suck at it.

If I'm doing athletic WITH someone, it would likely be something like martial arts and there again, so long as people are kind and it's not competitive - I have had very bad experiences with competitive physical activities - I don't care about my skill vs. theirs or gender or whatever.
Though I suppose it could be walking too - I enjoy that. But I don't have anyone to walk with.

Same here, dogmom. I enjoy working out (at the Planet Fitness), too, but I go alone most of the time. I know one who goes there once in a while. It's a rural letter carrier, whom I enjoy chatting with. When he is not there. I read a book or watch HDTV with cc while I am on stationary bicycle but not on a treadmill. I'd fall. :lol:
I'd listen iPod while I am on a treadmill.
I sometimes join senior citizens for a walk there at the Planet Fitness and even in the mall in the winter. We said hello each other, we chatted briefly.. and then we started walking around the block a couple of times. It was nice, to see old and new faces. We still do it for 10 years.

I work alone most of the time. Working alone allows me to complete the exercises that I want/need to do.

I like working out alone at the gym. I have not experience jogging with someone outside of the gym but I would like to. Of course, if i were on the treatmill then ALONE. ;)

:wave:Sosie, the walking at the mall and at the gym with the folks you mention seems very companionable, pleasant....at my original work out place, which has since closed - it was a "women-only" and it was small, "close-knit" - they tried to start a Sat. morning walking club in Summer. It was around the neighborhood there. I did a few times and that was kinda nice. And it was nice to walk outside. I have never heard of Planet Fitness. Is it a big gym, like with pools and stuff?

authentic :lol:

I just tried the stair-climber <is that what it's called?> at my current club. It's good.

:wave:Sosie, the walking at the mall and at the gym with the folks you mention seems very companionable, pleasant....at my original work out place, which has since closed - it was a "women-only" and it was small, "close-knit" - they tried to start a Sat. morning walking club in Summer. It was around the neighborhood there. I did a few times and that was kinda nice. And it was nice to walk outside. I have never heard of Planet Fitness. Is it a big gym, like with pools and stuff?

authentic :lol:

I just tried the stair-climber <is that what it's called?> at my current club. It's good.

:wave:, dogman, yes, they are very friendly. We are walking in the mall for 10 years of this month. We love it.
In the spring/summer, I travel a lot, of course, walking a lot, go to the beach (1.5 miles away from my home... ) and bicycling and many more...
I think it's called Bowflex Stair Climber (or Bowflex Tread climber). Oh, I love it. It sure burns out my calories!!!
Interesting! We have a large private women's only fitness section there in Salem, MA but I have never gone there.
The Planet Fitness here is not that big. Unfortunately, we don't have an indoor swimming pool. Oh, darn!!!
Here is their website: Planet Fitness® -- The Judgment Free Zone® . You can click on Club Photos Info . It gives you an idea what the club looks like. Enjoy browsing! ;)

coooool - the beach, I sure did like walking on the beach in Northern CA with my aunt a few times when we visited them! Lucky that you get to travel a lot -what is your favorite place?
The clubs I've been to don't have the pools, or courts or that either - not that big. I don't need so much but many folks really like the additional activities.

My dad used to go swimming and jogging all the time. Then he hurt his knee and with his age, doesn't really jog anymore, but he walks a lot - he works third shift security. In the Summer he likes to swim if he can.

:ty:for the website info, I'll check it out!

coooool - the beach, I sure did like walking on the beach in Northern CA with my aunt a few times when we visited them! Lucky that you get to travel a lot -what is your favorite place?
The clubs I've been to don't have the pools, or courts or that either - not that big. I don't need so much but many folks really like the additional activities.

My dad used to go swimming and jogging all the time. Then he hurt his knee and with his age, doesn't really jog anymore, but he walks a lot - he works third shift security. In the Summer he likes to swim if he can.

:ty:for the website info, I'll check it out!

Oh, I love the beach. I go there all the time for swimming, walking or sitting alone thinking (or reading a book.. )
I love traveling either for business or pleasure. :hmm:, boy, it's tough.. I like all over the places but I am planning to travel to Canada this summer.
Me, either, I don't need an indoor swimming pool since I live nearby the beach. I like to go out and lie in the sun at the beach (for a short period), which is good for me because it's part of vitamin D.
Sorry to hear about your father. It sounds like it's arthritis. I can't jog, either. My doctor advised me not to jog. He thinks I may suffer from arthritis sooner or later, who knows.. (on my mother's side.) So, it's best for me to walk.

You are welcome! :)

Back