Child - parent outdoor monitor? ...

Audiofuzzy

Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any radio- type monitors for outside use available out there, preferably specifically for the deaf parents and their children.
but not necessarily, a if a regular two way radio type monitor could be adjusted to our purpose I'd like to know, too.

Like, when your baby is outside playing with other kids in the playground,
how would you know if it's in distress (crying, screaming, coughing, choking etc) while it's sitting with it's back to you?
or if you have it in the buggy and also can't see it's face?
Do you have ways to attach to baby a monitor somehow and a vibrating or flashing receiver to yourself?
I thought about the regular indoor baby monitors but then I realized they'd pick up to much noise in general, and that wouldn't work.

Fuzzy

Please, it's important. I was told deaf parents are unsafe parents because they can't hear warning cries outside.

Fuzzy

Please, it's important. I was told deaf parents are unsafe parents because they can't hear warning cries outside.

Fuzzy

Really?....Deaf Parents are Unsafe Parents....:hmm:...I was a deaf mother of 2 and an adoptive mother of 3...my kids are still alive!...(*Knocking on wood :giggle:)

I was wondering if there are any radio- type monitors for outside use available out there, preferably specifically for the deaf parents and their children.
but not necessarily, a if a regular two way radio type monitor could be adjusted to our purpose I'd like to know, too.

how would you know if it's in distress (crying, screaming, coughing, choking etc) while it's sitting with it's back to you?
Do you have ways to attach to baby a monitor somehow and a vibrating or flashing receiver to yourself?
I thought about the regular indoor baby monitors but then I realized they'd pick up to much noise in general, and that wouldn't work.

Fuzzy

Are you hearing, Fuzzy?...All deaf parents know they have to keep their eyes on their kids at all times.

I assume you're not a parent. I don't need a monitor to watch kids outside. Whoever told you deaf parents are unsafe parents is ignorant. I used to babysit my nieces and kids when I was a teen. I still babysit friends' kids... *shrugs*

You can buy a baby buggy you can see your baby's face . Some friends and my sister brought me one , it was the kind of buggy you used in the 50's . I had one
something like this one . You could put the top back so could see your baby's face . My sister got it so I could see my baby's face .

pram3.jpg

Are you hearing, Fuzzy?...All deaf parents know they have to keep their eyes on their kids at all times.

I am HoH, but I need to explain to some hearing 'concrete-heads' that a deaf parent can "hear" by ways of technology.

Fuzzy

You can buy a baby buggy you can see your baby's face . Some friends and my sister brought me one , it was the kind of buggy you used in the 50's . I had one
something like this one . You could put the top back so could see your baby's face . My sister got it so I could see my baby's face .

pram3.jpg

Excellent idea, thanks!

what about older babies who use a stroller, and who play from a distance?

Fuzzy

Excellent idea, thanks!

what about older babies who use a stroller, and who play from a distance?

Fuzzy

I had 20/15 vision when I was younger and could see my child very well and I went with hearing friends that kids the same age as my child to parks etc so if my daughter did start to cry a friend would had told me . But my child was fine , I dressed her jeans so if she did fall down her legs didn't get cut. Whoever told deaf people made bad parents , have no idea what they're talking about . Look at all the deaf people here that grandkids , their child made it through their childhood fine. Try not to worry so much , you could buy some binoculars and watch your child that way . :giggle:

Thanks.

A little clarification, though - they didn't say "bad", they said "unsafe", as in "the deaf won't hear a child crying, screaming, coughing, choking, yelling for mama/daddy" etc etc.

And yes, I am a mother, my child is an adult now.
My questions is - are there any monitors that you can attach to a child and be alerted on your part for the outside?

And do please keep sending these ideas how did/do you manage raising your children as a deaf parent without ability to hear, please?

Fuzzy

Thanks.

A little clarification, though - they didn't say "bad", they said "unsafe", as in "the deaf won't hear a child crying, screaming, coughing, choking, yelling for mama/daddy" etc etc.

And yes, I am a mother, my child is an adult now.
My questions is - are there any monitors that you can attach to a child and be alerted on your part for the outside?

And do please keep sending these ideas how did/do you manage raising your children as a deaf parent without ability to hear, please?

Fuzzy

I guess you could hook up a child to a heart monitor when they're playing outside . I solved the this problem by going outside and watch my child , she was never alone while outside .

Really???, how would that work?

Fuzzy

:lol: I was joking around ! I haven't hear of one story were a deaf or hoh parent lost their child in a park . There are some people you just can't educate about being deaf or hoh , they're too close minded and not worth our time and energy . As long as you and your family and friends know you're a good parent that is all that count!

Fuzzy

Common sense prevails here.

If you're concerned about a child crying in a buggy, then obviously you don't cover the baby's face.

If a child is too old/big for a buggy and is playing at the playground, then I assume you'd be watching the child, like any other (including hearing) parent would do.

I am HoH, but I need to explain to some hearing 'concrete-heads' that a deaf parent can "hear" by ways of technology.

Fuzzy

Why? Not to be snooty, but why should you have to explain anything to anyone, especially someone who is not smart enough to grasp that deaf people are perfectly capable? Deaf people have been around for hundreds (if not thousands) of years. Is this thread somehow also connected to your Nanny thread as well?

It is simply to educate some silly doubting hearings what deaf people are capable of, and how technology may help them.

I assume, since nobody answered my question by now, that such outdoor monitor does not exist?

Fuzzy

ps.
yes it is connected - it is about disabilities in general.
how 'disable' does not necessarily mean not - able , you know.

For example, not being able to hear does not mean you can't be a dance instructor, right?

Fuzzy

Back