This glove translates sign language into speech

rockin'robin

Reaction score
A student has created a smart glove that can translate gestures made in sign language into speech or text.

Hadeel Ayoub, a recent graduate of Goldsmiths, University of London, created the glove as part of her final project to receive her Masters in Computational Arts.

Ayoub said her niece, who communicates through sign language, inspired her to create the glove. She is currently working to put the glove on the market.

“You know when little things happen and it comes together in your mind? Well I thought, ‘what if I could use technology to make a difference?’” Ayoub told Tech Insider.

The glove has five sensors, each placed on one finger, to track hand movements. The sensors detect the bends and curvatures made by the fingers and reports the values to a serial monitor. An accelerometer is also attached to the glove to detect the orientation of the hand.

All of the values collected are run through a program that determines which letters to display on an LED matrix display. Ayoub recently added a chip that can convert the hand gestures into spoken word.

Ayoub has two main focuses in order to further develop the glove. First, she wants to make it smaller so that a four-year-old could use it. To do so, Ayoub said she will need to collaborate with a tailor since it is difficult fitting all the hardware into a smaller space.

She also wants the glove to convert sign language into different languages. Ayoub originally thought of creating a translation app for the glove, but after seeing the translation apps that exist — one she referenced was Apple’s iTranslate app — she is now focusing on pairing the glove with existing ones.

So far, it costs between 250 to 300 pounds ($380 to $456) to produce a single glove.

“That’s too much,” Ayoub said, adding she wants to work with a company less interested in making money off the product and more into delivering it at a low cost to schools or hospital patients.

Ayoub said she has been approached by multiple companies about producing the SmartGlove, but that she wants to ensure any collaboration to produce the glove focuses on the objective of assisting people with disabilities. A gaming center at her university approached her about developing the technology for the gaming industry, but she turned them down.

“I want it to be an everyday gadget, like an ear piece for people who can’t hear, as an extension of the body like any normal device,” she said.

Read the full article online: http://uk.businessinsider.com/this-glove-translates-sign-language-into-speech-2015-10

http://www.disabledgo.com/blog/2015/11/this-glove-translates-sign-language-into-speech/

In the video it looks like it has a few kinks to still be worked out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

This is not the first time, and likely it wont success. Somebody before him did the same thing with utter failure.

Except that the current one working on doing this is a gal!

I have nothing against them, just that my understand what comes in technology, its available and how close to accuracy when it comes to natural communication that humans uses, its kinda impossible. Not everyone would sign the same way, same with audio, you notice subtitles sucks sometimes? That is because machine can't understand the human nature and get confused. Sign language is worse, because it contains too many information, way more than audio offers.

Same with telephone communication, if one uses audio like regular telephone requires just less than a third of what Videophone requires.

So what today's technology got to offer isn't ready for Alpha and beta testing on these concept of sign language into text. Don't forget ASL is a language of its own, completely different than English, that is what makes matter worse for technology. In distant future, just a maybe.

I wasn't intended to be negative, I am just being blunt with reality and maintain as realistic here.

I forgot to add this to why this isn't going to be successfully, it is because most sign language is not limited to hands, arms. They (The person who invented said device) didn't include the face, overall body. ASL requires hands, arms, face and body, so limiting sign language to hand and wrist is going to throw off the language grammar and won't be able to accurately translate into another language.

For instance, if one signs surprise, what would the machine going to figure out? Surprise? Wake up? shocked? and so on, its because the face expression isn't there for machine to figure out.

Don't forget all the cords they have on that thing, I think it would get in the way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

This is not the first time, and likely it wont success. Somebody before him did the same thing with utter failure.
The gestures and movements of each person are strictly personal.
We need a long time to carry out the learning process of this instrument, to use it!

Back