How do deaf make phone calls in the US?

Sprint-IP Relay is free and after completing the verification procedure, I was assigned a phone number to place calls.

It still works. But if it ever goes south, I have NexTalk Access as a backup.

PowerON,

Yes it does have a monthly charge. $6.95. For that you get a dedicated number which is used for both video and text calls (This alone would cost you at least $19 dollars a month if you asked your local telephone company to give you "dial tone" only service, while video phone service can be as much as $30 dollars a month).

For $6.95 a month, you get the following:
Video Remote Interpreting (VRI)
Video Relay Service (VRS)
Video Phone
Text Relay Service (TRS)
TTY Calling (Send and receive)
Voice Carry Over (VCO)
Hearing Carry Over (HCO)
Encrypted Messaging and Chat

All of these are in a single software solution.
We are not paying for relay services. Jesus Christ, why would we pay for those services? FCC, telephone companies, businesses like hospitals and workplaces pay for them. I pay for internet so IP relay is free. As for VRI, businesses including hospitals and workplaces pay for the services. VRS is free, too since we pay for internet. Why $6.95/month as an extra charge to internet cost? SMH

We are not paying for relay services. Jesus Christ, why would we pay for those services? FCC, telephone companies, businesses like hospitals and workplaces pay for them. I pay for internet so IP relay is free. As for VRI, businesses including hospitals and workplaces pay for the services. VRS is free, too since we pay for internet. Why $6.95/month as an extra charge to internet cost? SMH

CrazyPaul,

I understand that much of the communication services for the deaf has been a free service, but if you have been watching the changes in the industry for the last 5 to 10 years, I am sure you will acknowledge that the landscape is changing.

Sprint IP relay is the only IP Relay service left. All the others have stopped offering it. Not because they are incapable, but because it is no longer profitable for them. I have heard many say that Sprint is still trying to determine if they will continue IP Relay...for the same reason. The FCC has reduced the amount they will pay these companies to provide these kinds of services. 10 years ago there were countless numbers of companies offering VRS and TRS, then the FCC changed the rules after they identified a huge amount of fraud. Today, you can count the number of VRS and TRS providers on two hands.

Times are changing...free will not always be free. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with these changes, I'm just saying we have to be realistic and view them for what they are.

CrazyPaul,

I understand that much of the communication services for the deaf has been a free service, but if you have been watching the changes in the industry for the last 5 to 10 years, I am sure you will acknowledge that the landscape is changing.

Sprint IP relay is the only IP Relay service left. All the others have stopped offering it. Not because they are incapable, but because it is no longer profitable for them. I have heard many say that Sprint is still trying to determine if they will continue IP Relay...for the same reason. The FCC has reduced the amount they will pay these companies to provide these kinds of services. 10 years ago there were countless numbers of companies offering VRS and TRS, then the FCC changed the rules after they identified a huge amount of fraud. Today, you can count the number of VRS and TRS providers on two hands.

Times are changing...free will not always be free. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with these changes, I'm just saying we have to be realistic and view them for what they are.
Oh yeah, I understand that but we are not supposed to pay more than what hearing people pay. It's called equal access. Do we pay for CC? Do we pay for TTY? No, right?

Sprint-IP Relay is free and after completing the verification procedure, I was assigned a phone number to place calls.

It still works. But if it ever goes south, I have NexTalk Access as a backup.

Yes, Sprint IP does work but I couldn't be able to get the 10 digit number, they asked for ID and utility who I provided but I was not assigned a phone number because I am not a US citizen, actually I am originally from England but I've been living in illinois for couple of months now. And mehn I can go down that mile before I could get a pizza, is there anyone that can share their sprintip with me?

Back