Siren Alert for Deaf Drivers

Anton's Mom

Reaction score
Does anybody know where I can buy a Siren Alert for my son's car. He stresses about driving too far from home because he can't hear on-coming
police & fire trucks with their sirens blaring. The few devices I did find on-line have all been discontinued.

When the sirens are blasting away the lights are flashing and traffic light has a flashing white light to warn you a fire truck , police car or
ambulance is coming . I check my view mirror to see if a fire truck etc are behind b/c they don't always have their siren on unless they need to get drivers to move out their way.

When the sirens are blasting away the lights are flashing and traffic light has a flashing white light to warn you a fire truck , police car or
ambulance is coming . I check my view mirror to see if a fire truck etc are behind b/c they don't always have their siren on unless they need to get drivers to move out their way.

In bold red - perhaps where you live, but we don't have flashing white lights on our traffic signals where I live.

In bold red - perhaps where you live, but we don't have flashing white lights on our traffic signals where I live.

Maybe that person was thinking it is for emergency response, but it wasn't intended for emergency responding vehicle, it was intended to alert the upcoming driver that they are approaching red light, often at high frequent collisions on that intersection. That study proved that the flashing xenon light inside the red light isn't as effective deterrent in collision prevention that was once thought so, and some have phased out..

Nope, I did research, it has NOTHING to do with emergency responding vehicles. FYI.

I agree. Your eyes should be all you need. In addition to watching your mirrors, I also pay attention to others suddenly pulling over. That is a clue that they are hearing a siren and getting out of the way.

Maybe that person was thinking it is for emergency response, but it wasn't intended for emergency responding vehicle, it was intended to alert the upcoming driver that they are approaching red light, often at high frequent collisions on that intersection. That study proved that the flashing xenon light inside the red light isn't as effective deterrent in collision prevention that was once thought so, and some have phased out..

I forgot about the red light cameras flashing lights. Ours are on the camera poles, not the traffic lights.

Nope, I did research, it has NOTHING to do with emergency responding vehicles. FYI.

Will does in my city , when a fire truck is approaching an intersection there is a flashing white light on the traffic light and it keep flashing until all emergency responding vehicles had passed. This at a very dangerous intersection , it's one the list on of most dangerous ten intersections
in my state. People run red lights here a lot .

We don't either. I've never seen that.

Before traffic lights were installed at this intersection there were at least 4 accidents per week there . This is the same one I was T boned at .
We have some very rude and stupid drivers around some come from NH I have seen 3 cars run a red light at one time . I had called the police station and spoken to some in person and they're aware of people running red lights . I was told it was too dangerous to try and go after people so
something had to be done to warn people that a fire trunk etc was close by. I drive through this intersection everyday and when there a fire or some other emergency the emergency vehicle light come on . The state own this highway and had this put in . You're lucky your town does not need this we do to save people lives .

https://www.quora.com/How-do-ambula...control-of-intersections-when-passing-through

Before traffic lights were installed at this intersection there were at least 4 accidents per week there . This is the same one I was T boned at .
Only four per week? We have intersections here where four per day wouldn't be unusual.

We have some very rude and stupid drivers around some come from NH I have seen 3 cars run a red light at one time . I had called the police station and spoken to some in person and they're aware of people running red lights.
We have main intersections here where the minimum number of light runners is three each time. It's common for up to five cars to run the red light.

We blame the drivers from Ohio. :lol:

I was told it was too dangerous to try and go after people so
something had to be done to warn people that a fire trunk etc was close by. I drive through this intersection everyday and when there a fire or some other emergency the emergency vehicle light come on . The state own this highway and had this put in . You're lucky your town does not need this we do to save people lives .
I wouldn't say that we don't need something to improve the traffic situation here. It's horrible. They just don't use the white light method. Maybe because drivers here would ignore that the same as they ignore the other lights.

Emergency priority signal[edit]
At many intersections in the United States, intersections use traffic signal preemption to give priority to emergency vehicles. These preemption applications often include an illuminated "notifier" signal. A notifier is a secondary lighting device usually mounted independently of the traffic signal, such as a standard or strobing light bulb in an omnidirectional enclosure or spotlights aimed at oncoming traffic lanes. The colors of these secondary lighting devices vary regionally depending upon the operational policies of the local traffic management and emergency service agencies.[30]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic-light_signalling_and_operation#Emergency_priority_signal

Only four per week? We have intersections here where four per day wouldn't be unusual.

We have main intersections here where the minimum number of light runners is three each time. It's common for up to five cars to run the red light.

We blame the drivers from Ohio. :lol:

I wouldn't say that we don't need something to improve the traffic situation here. It's horrible. They just don't use the white light method. Maybe because drivers here would ignore that the same as they ignore the other lights.

The white light worked so far people don't run the red light when it on.
Yeah I know people will always run red lights and stop signs but what piss
me off that the police don't even try to give people a ticket . A camera could be installed so the police can see which cars are running red lights.
Nothing will be done until there is a horrible accident . I can't remember just how accidents were happening I was told this in 1995 after my car
was T boned . I know the tow guy said he was towing a lot cars per week. We have bad drivers in my state but I tried to say away from
New Hampshire drivers b/c they don't have to auto insurance in NH and I don't want to end having to pay to get my car fixed . I didn't use that intersection for awhile after my accident . If I wasn't wearing my seat belt I would been throwed all over the car.

Wdys that time of horses...I feel bit uncomfortable with as diehard say what that's faulty..think ccctv better those places..
if keep asking for changes then come a time when it no..in the sennaro you just put forwards I don't think make any difference.They adapt your car not highway.Also it could be off putting to other drivers.I think what we have now sufficient..
On somethings deaf should not make difference and driving one of them.Most deaf drivers don't need extra help
Most people drive on here and no problems tail tatters are going to do deaf or not.it some of the daft cops who need education not deaf going to authorities to change yet again.if you have bad accident no time or they as here ignore it.Where do you start blind want big brail access to phones wheel chair people want I head high no flashing lights.These daft things say baby on bord well you should not ne tail gating,
I think can go bit to far with authority asking them change things in case odd person is deaf.i would not change things ,Deaf show they as good as anyone else.You insurence in on it so there cost sky high.just do sensible things have emergency number.. on speed dial.
the deaf are good drivers leave it at that howerver like see bit more friendly bike riding that would help and seeing people

Hearing drivers do get t-boned ambulance, fire trucks, and squad cars during the intersection, I've seen it all myself driving 100 miles/day for 5 years as window technician in DC/MD/VA.

I know about steady lights near traffic lights for incoming emergency trucks and police cars. Should change strobe lights or flashing lights.

Millersville_opticom.jpg

Steady light only.

Wdys that time of horses...I feel bit uncomfortable with as diehard say what that's faulty..think ccctv better those places..
if keep asking for changes then come a time when it no..in the sennaro you just put forwards I don't think make any difference.They adapt your car not highway.Also it could be off putting to other drivers.I think what we have now sufficient..
On somethings deaf should not make difference and driving one of them.Most deaf drivers don't need extra help
Most people drive on here and no problems tail tatters are going to do deaf or not.it some of the daft cops who need education not deaf going to authorities to change yet again.if you have bad accident no time or they as here ignore it.Where do you start blind want big brail access to phones wheel chair people want I head high no flashing lights.These daft things say baby on bord well you should not ne tail gating,
I think can go bit to far with authority asking them change things in case odd person is deaf.i would not change things ,Deaf show they as good as anyone else.You insurence in on it so there cost sky high.just do sensible things have emergency number.. on speed dial.
the deaf are good drivers leave it at that howerver like see bit more friendly bike riding that would help and seeing people

I have no trouble knowing when a fire truck is around I can see it and I check my rear view mirror when driving b/c people will tailgate you in school zone , the speed limit is 20 MPH and the speed limit was increase
to 35 MPH not too long ago . People hate driving so slow and I hate getting speeding ticket so drivers are on my ass trying to get me to break the law too. The accident I wrote about was not my fault , it was the
fault of a teenager driver , he had to pay me a settlement . I am not asking authority to change anything for deaf driver the OP is , I do
wish the police would at least parole the intersection were people are running red lights all the time . Kids have to cross there to get to school and there is not always a school cross guard there to help small kids .
I had wanted to get out of car to help them get safety across the dangerous intersection.

I know about steady lights near traffic lights for incoming emergency trucks and police cars. Should change strobe lights or flashing lights.

Millersville_opticom.jpg

Steady light only.

We have those too. And ours is steady. I don't mind that it's steady and not strobe or flashing - because I'm already looking at the light to see if it's red or green, and the white steady light (when it's activated) stands out like a beacon as it is. Even in daytime.

I love that feature -- it alerts me that something is up before I see any flashing lights or cars pulling over yet.

Back