May be trying Siemens Nitros soon

Since it would cost money to get a CI evaluation, he (and I) may not have the $$.

Bingo, plus with how severe my hearing loss is, there isn't much to gain from a CI. If I get a CI I'm not guaranteed to be able to talk on the phone so why bother anyway for a complicated and expensive surgery for something that I can just get with a regular hearing aid?

If I get a CI I'm not guaranteed to be able to talk on the phone so why bother anyway for a complicated and expensive surgery for something that I can just get with a regular hearing aid?[/QUOTE]

Also, the cost of a CI doesn't end when the surgery is over. You have to get regular maintenance, parts etc. And what if you took the risk of getting a CI and it didn't' turn out to be the right sound for you. I'm in the process of trying to transition from analogue to digital and yet to find an aid that is right for me!

So I've tried out the siemens nitro for a almost week and am just not happy with them. The volume is quieter than my 10 year old siemens triano sp. When I go back to the dealer for a follow up I'm going to ask if they can't squeeze more power out of them or recommend a more powerful hearing aid. If they can't do any of them then I'll be asking for a refund.

So I've tried out the siemens nitro for a almost week and am just not happy with them. The volume is quieter than my 10 year old siemens triano sp. When I go back to the dealer for a follow up I'm going to ask if they can't squeeze more power out of them or recommend a more powerful hearing aid. If they can't do any of them then I'll be asking for a refund.

Thanks for the update. I'm still waiting on voc rehab. They did call me on Thursday leaving a voice mail (she talked fast, but was able to discern that it was someone from voc rehab). I emailed a couple of contacts there on Thursday night asking them to have the person email me rather than call. One said she would, but I never heard back from them on Friday. Hopefully, I'll hear from them on Monday...and hopefully it's good news (help with getting the HAs).

I did some more research yesterday and found this blog (from 2013) that compares the super power aids. http://terptree.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-top-5-super-power-hearing-aids-on.html

So to update this, I went back to the audiologist and as it turns out they weren't really maxed out. She set it up for minimal background noise, which explains why I wasn't able to hear cars or any kind of noise 10+ feet away from me.

I then ask her to go ahead and max everything out and wow, what a difference. Not only is it noticeable louder than my 10 year old hearing aids now I can hear the subtle nuances of a sound. Before every sound was one note but now I can hear the slight variations.

So far I'm happy with the new Siemens Nitro now that they are maxed out.

I don't know why they don't have more powerful hearing aids but a theory is that it's just not economically feasible for the hearing aid manufacturers. Especially with cochlear implants why bother making a hearing aid that powerful if you can just get surgery and get it over with?

Except that people who have damage to their auditory nerve can't use a CI. That's why I can't use one. Also, people who have relatively mild hearing loss are going to be suited well with hearing aids and getting a CI doesn't make sense for them.

Fingers crossed. I got the letter today saying that Voc Rehab has determined I'm eligible for their services. Now I need to set up an appointment to develop my IPE. Hopefully I'll get that set up soon (I emailed the counselor just now so hopefully she'll get back to me - BY EMAIL - with a date/time).

I did mention in my email that I hope they will help with getting the HAs my audiologist suggested at the Voc Rehab appointment I had in April and that I'm anxious to try the HAs out soon as I'm struggling understanding people at work.

Back