Sickening!!!!

Well, the new Center will be more biased than usually and their research is really nothing to prove the fact. I oppose HB 1367 as well and I believe that Center should be in deaf school. The unbiased and biased are left to people to make their own thinking about how is bad with Center at deaf school.

Yup, Hear Indiana is obviously biased and side with AG Bell. They doesn't believe ASL as optional to communicate.

ASL is only language that I used to communicate after decade of failed speech therapies and CI never make success in my life. The cases are varies by person to person so person shouldn't forced to accept oral language if they can't thorough with speech therapies.

In Alabama, I doubt about anything will change and ASD (deaf school in Alabama) is homogeneously ASL. I met couple of ASD students at Gally and they are Class of 2011 so none of students wear CI. I believe that most students with CI attend at mainstream school. The education at ASD is much improving and most students graduated with regular HS diploma that equally to hearing school.

You realize you are basically stating the case FOR the bill, right?

Bill Says Deaf School Wouldn’t Run New Deaf Education Center

Bill Says Deaf School Wouldn’t Run New Deaf Education Center | News - Indiana Public Media

Outreach services to parents and families of deaf and hard of hearing children are handled by the Indiana School for the Deaf, or ISD. The legislation would transfer those duties — and the funds that go with them — to a new center for deaf and hard of hearing education.

The bill’s sponsors say they want to establish a place without a bias between two significant groups within the deaf community – those who support oral learning using cochlear implants and those who support American Sign Language, or ASL, education. Christopher Mann is the father of a deaf child who has cochlear implants. He says ASL supporters have not been welcoming since he and his wife opted to give their child the implants:

“Since that time, we have been referred to by some in the ASL community as child abusers,” Mann says.

Mann says the Indiana School for the Deaf does not give equal representation to oral education and ASL learning. But ISD senior Margaret Katter says the new center will hurt, not help, students, adding she questions the motives behind the bill.

“This is about redirecting the taxpayers’ money from experts at the deaf and hard of hearing education at outreach and ISD to private contracts, likely those who helped craft this bill,” she says.

The bill is up for a vote in a Senate committee this week.

You realize you are basically stating the case FOR the bill, right?

No, I don't support this bill.

I just support the Center to sticking at deaf school.

I'm strongly favor ASL and shouldn't left out of options.

ASL is extremely minority since oral language is supermajority.

Bill Says Deaf School Wouldn’t Run New Deaf Education Center | News - Indiana Public Media

Outreach services to parents and families of deaf and hard of hearing children are handled by the Indiana School for the Deaf, or ISD. The legislation would transfer those duties — and the funds that go with them — to a new center for deaf and hard of hearing education.

The bill’s sponsors say they want to establish a place without a bias between two significant groups within the deaf community – those who support oral learning using cochlear implants and those who support American Sign Language, or ASL, education. Christopher Mann is the father of a deaf child who has cochlear implants. He says ASL supporters have not been welcoming since he and his wife opted to give their child the implants:

“Since that time, we have been referred to by some in the ASL community as child abusers,” Mann says.

Mann says the Indiana School for the Deaf does not give equal representation to oral education and ASL learning. But ISD senior Margaret Katter says the new center will hurt, not help, students, adding she questions the motives behind the bill.

“This is about redirecting the taxpayers’ money from experts at the deaf and hard of hearing education at outreach and ISD to private contracts, likely those who helped craft this bill,” she says.

The bill is up for a vote in a Senate committee this week.

I hope this bill fails.

No, I don't support this bill.

I just support the Center to sticking at deaf school.

I'm strongly favor ASL and shouldn't left out of options.

ASL is extremely minority since oral language is supermajority.

I realize you are against the bill, but what you are saying totally supports the argument FOR the bill.

I realize you are against the bill, but what you are saying totally supports the argument FOR the bill.

How so? I think it's pretty clear that he is against it and doesn't support it.

I hope you aren't making a thinly veiled references to his English grammar.

This.

ASL is only language that I used to communicate after decade of failed speech therapies and CI never make success in my life. The cases are varies by person to person so person shouldn't forced to accept oral language if they can't thorough with speech therapies.

In Alabama, I doubt about anything will change and ASD (deaf school in Alabama) is homogeneously ASL. I met couple of ASD students at Gally and they are Class of 2011 so none of students wear CI. I believe that most students with CI attend at mainstream school.

Looks like a good argument for a more unbiased approach....especially if CI students are mainly in mainstream schools. I already noted that he was against them.

:lol: Ridiculous.

I think it's funny how you, a late deafened adult with no experience at all in Deaf education, and someone who has not bothered to learn ASL (as far as I can tell from your posting), will assert that this "unbiased approach" is a good idea and try to tell that to Deaf people who have lived through the awful experience this bill is attempting to replicate. Of course you think it is unbiased because you have no clue about Deaf education, ISD or Deaf issues in Indiana, or HEAR Indiana. There's a reason every Deaf educator and Deaf person in the state, and probably the entire country, is against this bill.

We can't go just off of Hear Indiana's form letter, though, since they as an organization are biased. If we're going to look at Hear Indiana's stuff, we should be looking at IAD's stuff, too. I'm currently looking at IAD's website to see if they have a form letter and to check what parts of said letter contradict/agree with Hear Indiana's letter.

Wow, that was a LOT of research and careful investigation. Thanks for sharing it. :ty:

I think it's funny how you, a late deafened adult with no experience at all in Deaf education, and someone who has not bothered to learn ASL (as far as I can tell from your posting), will assert that this "unbiased approach" is a good idea and try to tell that to Deaf people who have lived through the awful experience this bill is attempting to replicate. Of course you think it is unbiased because you have no clue about Deaf education, ISD or Deaf issues in Indiana, or HEAR Indiana. There's a reason every Deaf educator and Deaf person in the state, and probably the entire country, is against this bill.

Actually, it's being late-deafened and having no experience in deaf education that allows me to see what I believe is bias. I have no dog in the hunt. But as always, you are entitled to your opinion. :)

Yup, thanks...

I have trauma from numerous domestic abuses during 1990's about situation with speech therapy. My grandfather abused me at all time when I was unable to speak orally and turned my hearing aids to max as possible, it has done to damage my hearing so I lost most benefits with hearing aids in 1994. I didn't know how to report to my parent about situation with my grandfather. When my grandfather died in 1995 due to brain/lung cancer so my grandmother decided to nagging with abuse to make me to use oral languages, but she didn't understand about what I am saying. My mother realized that I was hurt from abuses and talked to grandmother about must use sign language. I didn't receive CI until 1999 and it didn't help with oral language, except for saying no so I decided to stopped it for good, along with head injury from skateboard accident renders CI as useless. It was 10 years ago.

Even, prior to enroll at deaf school as 10th grade but my reading level was 3rd grade because I was in special education for rest of my childhood and they were very underperforming. It took years for my reading level went higher to high school level and expert in algebra.

Yup, thanks...

I have trauma from numerous domestic abuses during 1990's about situation with speech therapy. My grandfather abused me at all time when I was unable to speak orally and turned my hearing aids to max as possible, it has done to damage my hearing so I lost most benefits with hearing aids in 1994. I didn't know how to report to my parent about situation with my grandfather. When my grandfather died in 1995 due to brain/lung cancer so my grandmother decided to nagging with abuse to make me to use oral languages, but she didn't understand about what I am saying. My mother realized that I was hurt from abuses and talked to grandmother about must use sign language. I didn't receive CI until 1999 and it didn't help with oral language, except for saying no so I decided to stopped it for good, along with head injury from skateboard accident renders CI as useless. It was 10 years ago.

Even, prior to enroll at deaf school as 10th grade but my reading level was 3rd grade because I was in special education for rest of my childhood and they were very underperforming. It took years for my reading level went higher to high school level and expert in algebra.

You do very well. I've told you this before.

Actually, it's being late-deafened and having no experience in deaf education that allows me to see what I believe is bias. I have no dog in the hunt. But as always, you are entitled to your opinion. :)

Why don't you try learning some ASL and meeting Deaf people? :) :) :)

Back