Considering implant for your child

So the idea is,if one finds a thread boring, or dull, or of non interests to rather then avoid the thread, not post in it, or cotribute, the better way is to post in the thread, how boring (yawn), it is, or how dull (zzzzzz)...it is, or how much it makes one roll their eyes...(roll eyes)
Im cool with that if thats a wide forum practice, and so on....
(Searches for the emoticon for lighting a fat joint...)
Makes sense.
"--)>
As for this thread, itwas going good, and could return.to mature.discussion if those discussing wish it,
It certainly is a relavant topic, jokes, puns, rolling of rhe eyes aside...

So the idea is,if one finds a thread boring, or dull, or of non interests to rather then avoid the thread, not post in it, or cotribute, the better way is to post in the thread, how boring (yawn), it is, or how dull (zzzzzz)...it is, or how much it makes one roll their eyes...(roll eyes)
Makes sense.
"--)>
As for this thread, itwas going good, and could return.to mature.discussion if those discussing wish it,

[:^)=>¡ hmm well I tried... if you see it then it works :)
As for the thread, yes it was derailed, granted guilty of that myself when I find a statement for more interest in a thread...
Have you read one of the articles from the site that was from a deaf born lady, into a primarily deaf family, who obtained the implant as an adult. She ended up with tooth pain, and as an adult she was able to communicate the issue with doctors and they were able to change her settings. She presses for parents to wait... but the arte got me thinking...
How often is this an issue and doctors love throwing medications at an issue rather than finding the issue.... what additional issues besides harmful side effects could this have on a growing child.

[:^)=>¡ hmm well I tried... if you see it then it works :)
As for the thread, yes it was derailed, granted guilty of that myself when I find a statement for more interest in a thread...
Have you read one of the articles from the site that was from a deaf born lady, into a primarily deaf family, who obtained the implant as an adult. She ended up with tooth pain, and as an adult she was able to communicate the issue with doctors and they were able to change her settings. She presses for parents to wait... but the arte got me thinking...
How often is this an issue and doctors love throwing medications at an issue rather than finding the issue.... what additional issues besides harmful side effects could this have on a growing child.

Havnt read that article...but ive met a number of early implanted who suffer under crushing migraines due to them..even when not using them.....
But as long as they ended up bieng able to bable somehwat like a hearie parot,,guess it was all worth it....after all their suffering isnt as important as being able to flap the lips.good, and be good speak oral....
Such is this world..

Havnt read that article...but ive met a number of early implanted who suffer under crushing migraines due to them..even when not using them.....
But as long as they ended up bieng able to bable somehwat like a hearie parot,,guess it was all worth it....after all their suffering isnt as important as being able to flap the lips.good, and be good speak oral....
Such is this world..

A pain in the . . . tooth!

Hello, My name is Lola (Beaver) Phillips, Ben Beaver is my Great Uncle. Anyway I come from a large deaf family and I have a deaf granddaughter. And I have a cochlear implant my self. I have had mine for about five years and I am against children having one until they are much, much older. I want to tell you my story and see if you can pass it along for me.

One day I was having a bad toothache and I went to the dentist and the dentist says nothing wrong with my tooth as I had root canal where the pain was and he asked me want it pulled out and I said “no!” so I asked him if he thought it was coming from my cochlear implant as I notice with certain sounds it would make it ache so I decided to go back to the place that did my cochlear implant and I explained to the doctor what I just told you and he was stunned and acted like it was weird but decided to test me in the booth and use different pitches of sound and found there was a certain sound that made it ache and corrected the mapping on my hearing aid.

Please do not allow these little ones to have it done also it is hard for me to get an MRI due to the cochlear implant so theses little ones may not be able to tell something is wrong. I hope this will help.

Thank you,

Lola Phillips

http://www.cochlearwar.com/forum/implantees_view.html

Makes sense.
"--)>

Do you really not understand that they mean they are all deaf, dearer than you by far, and you are kind of an embarrassment?

Those emoticons just show people distancing themselves from you.

Luckily not too many hearing parents come here, and that gives the rest of us a much better chance to positively influence them.

Do you really not understand that they mean they are all deaf, dearer than you by far, and you are kind of an embarrassment?

Luckily not too many hearing parents come here, and that gives the rest of us a much better chance to positively influence them.

Dearer then me?....mmmmmm ...alright?
I dunno.bots this snt a popularity contest with me...so...yeah cool...me sharing my opinion being against implanting babies is an embaresment...i grant that...but thats the beauty of an idea called freedom...isnt it?
Yeah i m preety dense, i actually didnt see allycats posts as telling me im an embarassment...i actually thought, it was all bringing levity to the thread.....im a straight forward guy...so i didnt catch the behind the scenes i guess, i dunno,,,ah well...
The beuty of the forum...That even low brow,uneducated, poor english grammar guys like me, can share my opinion here amongst friends and foes and still be all cool.
Im not on a dick measuring contest, not here to win votes, or run for office...if others are then cool. May they be a non embarrasment and be very very popular..."-)
So my opinion to not early implant is embarassing......
Mmmmmm...
Wicked......
Distance yourself from me all you want, its all cool....really...i hold no ill will or hard feelings about it....
(Roll eyes)
Back to the thread...
Untl calvin tells me not to share my opinion to not early implant, i assume my opinion, like yours, or southpaws, or allycats, or anyones is welcome here....

It is sad that you write this... and a bit rude to say someone is an embarrassment... the embarrassment is one tries to shush another just because their views are different... I enjoy all side of an idea... because there are no absolutes in life... as for influencing parents... guess it really is all about control of ideas when it comes to just about anything... to include this... no Hoichi is not an embarrassment... he is a person just like you, and should be treated as such... not mocked or ridiculed for his different views... you shame yourself by not seeking understanding... nor havinh open mindedness....

It is sad that you write this... and a bit rude to say someone is an embarrassment... the embarrassment is one tries to shush another just because their views are different... I enjoy all side of an idea... because there are no absolutes in life... as for influencing parents... guess it really is all about control of ideas when it comes to just about anything... to include this... no Hoichi is not an embarrassment... he is a person just like you, and should be treated as such... not mocked or ridiculed for his different views... you shame yourself by not seeking understanding... nor havinh open mindedness....

Thank you jeize...

The best thing here really, is to get the thread on the topics of the ideas...the ideas here are seperate from me, my faillings or embarrasment or what not...so rather then get stuck on hoichi...(sure i love the attention...lol) the good the bad, the ugly...its prob better to just have this thread on the ideas....
I think the thread was going well until it degenerated into.ad hominum, yeah im not populur..ok..
So having stated that...lets just discuss the ideas....which are far more inportant then me,
For what its worth....

The best thing here really, is to get the thread on the topics of the ideas....

Agreed... you mentioned that you knew other deaf that were implanted as babies... I am curious did they have issues similar to Ms. Phillips?

You also mentioned other side effects... besides headaches... I am curious of how this was addressed as young childern...

Agreed... you mentioned that you knew other deaf that were implanted as babies... I am curious did they have issues similar to Ms. Phillips?

You also mentioned other side effects... besides headaches... I am curious of how this was addressed as young childern...
The ones ive met and know, the big physical.issues they shared was the migrains.....constant head pain...which of course drains the entire body.
They grew up with them.....so..they were not late implant..they were baby implanted..
Never known any with teeth issues or such...i just know about the headaches and mugrains...it seems to be. Side affect, few ahderents wish to discuss...for obvious reasons....but they have some speech....yeeeeeehhhh...so their pain and suffering can be ignored..they can at least ask for pain meds with bable hearie talk..rathher then sign....see...ci.....it works (roll eyes)....

The ones ive met and know, the big physical.issues they shared was the migrains.....constant head pain...which of course drains the entire body.
They grew up with them.....so..they were not late implant..they were baby implanted..
Never known any with teeth issues or such...i just know about the headaches and mugrains...it seems to be. Side affect, few ahderents wish to discuss...for obvious reasons....but they have some speech....yeeeeeehhhh...so their pain and suffering can be ignored..they can at least ask for pain meds with bable hearie talk..rathher then sign....see...ci.....it works (roll eyes)....

Curious... at what age was the migraines finally recognized and treated...
I could not imagine having a migraine and not be able to remove myself from the additional amplifiers....

Curious... at what age was the migraines finally recognized and treated...
I could not imagine having a migraine and not be able to remove myself from the additional amplifiers....

Its been while since chat with them, so..they had migrains all life from ci..
Not sure when start treatment,,i met them when they were teens...

Its been while since chat with them, so..they had migrains all life from ci..
Not sure when start treatment,,i met them when they were teens...

Migraines from sound or from surgery though? Does turning off the device prevent them?

Migraines from sound or from surgery though? Does turning off the device prevent them?

No..turning off had no.effect...as fsr as what they told me...it wasnt from sount, was from rhe inplant...in.the head...

I had headaches the first couple days of my implant being activated (wearing the processor and getting sound) then if I tried launder volume programs I would, but they'd go away once my brain got used to the input. I went for my second mapping on Monday. All new programs and electrode adjustments, whatever. I had a headache for maybe 2-3 hours after but then it went away. Sooooooo I imagine if they're getting migraines it's from wearing the processor. The implant itself doesn't do much of anything without the processor connected. It just sits there.

You know there's plenty of CI recipients on this very forum, you can just ask people about their experience instead of going by second hand accounts.

Smithtr had a pretty bad experience with his CI, pretty sure he was getting migraines. You also have to realize some cases are exceptions, not the rule, just like with anything medical.

Hell there are even Deaf members on here that were implanted as teens and adults, people who "made the decision" themselves. They'd have an excellent perspective on the effectiveness of CI for people who were implanted later.

Oh yeah...people on here have implants, seems a mixed bag, on who uses them after implant and who doesnt...ive met more in peron who inplanted.as baby against their will, who dont use them...but im sure of course others know many who do
Hi ambrosia..

You know there's plenty of CI recipients on this very forum, you can just ask people about their experience instead of going by second hand accounts.

Yes and I have been following everything that is being said... sadly it is not about the experience rather the same humdrum that I have thrown at me... get a CI no matter what... and no real debate about why or even possible considerations of it not being effective...

Smithtr had a pretty bad experience with his CI, pretty sure he was getting migraines. You also have to realize some cases are exceptions, not the rule, just like with anything medical.

Truth there... :)

Hell there are even Deaf members on here that were implanted as teens and adults, people who "made the decision" themselves. They'd have an excellent perspective on the effectiveness of CI for people who were implanted later.

Yes, and I am interested in their side of it... but things like this is highly personal and will not humbug... I offer an avenue if they want to share their thoughts...that is all I can do...

It seems the only ideas that are available is from people who are so pro implant that there is no room to debate anything else...

I had headaches the first couple days of my implant being activated (wearing the processor and getting sound) then if I tried launder volume programs I would, but they'd go away once my brain got used to the input. I went for my second mapping on Monday. All new programs and electrode adjustments, whatever. I had a headache for maybe 2-3 hours after but then it went away.
What aspect of the mapping causes migraines for you?

Sooooooo I imagine if they're getting migraines it's from wearing the processor. The implant itself doesn't do much of anything without the processor connected. It just sits there.
The screws in my knew do not do anything but sit there yet they can send shooting pains up and down my leg... and I was done growing when I obtained them...

Back