Definition of "book learning"

I disagree. I would remember who I recommended 10 yrs ago.

maybe you. but then.... professor deals with what? 100+ students per semester. So 10 years.... that's over 3,000+ students? I doubt my professor would remember me 10 years later unless he knows me personally.

:dunno:

Bingo, Jiro. We have an established contact because of my line of work dealing with snow hydrology and watershed responses.

I disagree. I would remember who I recommended 10 yrs ago.

Yep. Also, if you have a deaf/hh doctorate student in an overwhelmingly hearing student population don't you think the student's name would be easily recalled than not? Mine wasn't just a one day thing either. It was a continuing collaboration that took root.

There have been at least 10 cohorts to complete the Ph.D. program at Maryland since you applied. I promise you, no one will remember a student that applied but never attended from 10 years ago. They have enough trouble keeping up with the ones who did attend.

Posts from Hell may have verified to his satisfaction. That doesn't prove anything.

Problem is, she *already* knows me.

This thread has devolved.

sallylou-albums-misc-picture3826-devo.jpg

Oh, forgot a description:

The group Devo (5 guys) wearing yellow jumpsuits and red flower pot hats.

For you youngsters, Devo was a new wave group. Best known line: "Whip it good!"

Start with page 3 to see how it got "devolved." Might help to look at post #79 that started it all followed by demands of proofs, followed by more insinuations of "faking it" and more requests on clarifications..etc..etc.. to the point of ridiculously saying that there is no such thing as an oral thesis defense at the master level (it's a common fact that this is done). I already explained very early on in post #82 and that should've been the end of it. But no.....people weren't satisfied.
http://www.alldeaf.com/general-chat/70373-definition-book-learning-3.html

Yes, it did de-evolve. There are several guilty people here, including me, that are party to this. So, do not deny that you were party to this free-for-all (except Souggy and few others).

maybe you. but then.... professor deals with what? 100+ students per semester. So 10 years.... that's over 3,000+ students? I doubt my professor would remember me 10 years later unless he knows me personally.

:dunno:

Exactly. And unless this was a reccommendation from an undergrad prof he had, it wasn't a recomendation. It was merely the review of an applicant. Not only does the board review far more applications that they ever accept (approximately a 4 to 1 ratio; higher for some schools), there is no reason to expect that a professor would remember a student they had never had in class, nor had never been enrolled in the university. Like you have stated, a professor cannot be expected to remember the students they had in class unless they have had regular contact after that class, much less one who applied and never enrolled.

Yep. Also, if you have a deaf/hh doctorate student in an overwhelmingly hearing student population don't you think the student's name would be easily recalled than not? Mine wasn't just a one day thing either. It was a continuing collaboration that took root.

No, deafness is not a reason to remember a student by name, or that students accomplishments. One might be expected to remember that they had a deaf student in class, but chances are great that the memory would not go any further than that.

A continuing collaboration? Please elaborate on that.

Kokonut, I'm not interested in pointing fingers here. It was a joke. You know, haha. I like to joke and have fun sometimes. Try it!

Hmmm, who exactly is running this forum?? Personally I would like to say that hearing peoples' input would be secondary (if that!). Just because the hearing person happens to be highly educated does not apply here. Anyone who has had the experience of parenting a deaf child has *some* input. However GROWING UP DEAF WITH ALL OF IT'S PERCUSSIONS, should come first!

P.S. These posters with "higher learning" degrees need to prove to us that they have just that. The Internet is a great place to spoof people!

Oh, forgot a description:

The group Devo (5 guys) wearing yellow jumpsuits and red flower pot hats.

For you youngsters, Devo was a new wave group. Best known line: "Whip it good!"

no, Freedom of Choice

Hmmm, who exactly is running this forum?? Personally I would like to say that hearing peoples' input would be secondary (if that!). Just because the hearing person happens to be highly educated does not apply here. Anyone who has had the experience of parenting a deaf child has *some* input. However GROWING UP DEAF WITH ALL OF IT'S PERCUSSIONS, should come first!

P.S. These posters with "higher learning" degrees need to prove to us that they have just that. The Internet is a great place to spoof people!

Funny that YOU would post this after blatantly disrespecting the Deaf in post #267:
Koko, this is a forum and staying exactly on topic is unfortunately impossible, particularly for the deaf, who have limited means of communication.

Maybe it wasn't intended, but what you said was highly condescending, completely inaccurate, and had nothing to do with the conversation taking place, however discordant it had become.

Grummer, you've got to admit that Whip It is a great dance tune. That was a big deal back in my clubbing days. Back when we still had vinyl records. LOL!

Lantana, because you'll be my friend, I'll show you my bar cards. You can't be surprised that a bunch of nerds are on the internet, can you?

sallylou-albums-misc-picture3830-nerd.gif

Image: yellow smilie character wearing big round glasses typing quickly on keyboard

*hat tip for Botti for the image

Seems that a copy of a copy would do that.
But anyway...who cares. Pissing contest....getting to the truth...whatever....one person's trash is another person's junque
Ted Bundy was a genius......not a great person...intelligence doesn't prove anything.....and people have different types of intelligence.
And while I'm here.....forums are open discussion boards that evolve. Topics can change like in a normal conversation. All this talk about topics.
I think a blog is more specific to topics.
Oh...and why is this person's claim being scrutinized?
Boy who cried wolf comes to mind. Those who lie (yes...twist and spin and untold truths fall in the category)tend to do it regualrly. Noone believed the boy who cried wolf all the time.
And it gobbled him up.

I can check to see if it's doctored up. I'm a photoshop guru, and looking at this, looking at how the ink transferred from one side to the other, etc, it is real.

You can only learn what's available; you can only learn from what is available.

After that either you like to learn or you don't. Most people don't unless they are forced to or driven by the lure of greed, "College graduates earn a half million dollars more over their life time than high school dropouts." If it weren't for greed a lot fewer people would bother with the three "R's".

Formal education relies heavily on book learning and tends to eschew "lab" work.

Non book learning is growing scarce and in my opinion will grow more so. One woman I knew became a top mechanic: at 3 years old she was handing daddy a half inch open end wrench when he asked for it. Another became a carpenter: at 7 years old she was carrying shingles up a ladder to her daddy. Try doing that in today's climate of anti children.

I'm self educated, the only way I could get educated seen as I'm a grammar school drop out. No way to prove either one but I think they both show. Libraries are wonderful for people like me. I've devoured several.

I believe most self educated people are book learned as books are much easier to come by than people with experience.

But I'm looking at Youtube, Expert Village, Howitworks.com and similar sites.

I believe cyber education is coming at us. Informal, unstructured, unplanned, and who knows what the people who are putting it all together in their own unique ways will come up with.

I love the DIY sites! I can learn so much. I agree that we may have to rename "book learning" to "using 'The Google' to learn."

Education should not be about $$$. Unfortunately, money is all that motivates some people.

Back