My deaf ASL Teacher Feels Shut Out...

Acronym

Reaction score
I have no idea if this is the right subforum for this, or even if I can accomplish anything by asking for opinions here.

My ASL teacher is deaf. He sometimes identifies as HOH. He says his hearing was at 6%, now at 3%. (I have no idea how that translates to heard decibel levels, which I usually see?)

He is totally bummed. I thought he was going to tear up last night. He was raised in the oralist tradition and is a proficient lip reader.

He grew up in the late 50s and through the 60s. Although he is pretty highly involved in ASL (albeit a little old fashioned with some signs) and has deaf friends, he feels that he necessarily lives outside of Deaf culture, and it clearly distresses him and gives him grief.

He often reflects sadly that he "is only a little d," and he seems to have the impression that those who consider themselves Deaf want nothing to do with him because he was brought up in oralism and the hearing world.

I'm hearing. I don't know a lot about this stuff. But it seems to me that maybe times have changed, become more inclusive, since he was a young man? That maybe he doesn't realize there is a greater Deaf community out there which would welcome him? Just from reading here and reading other current news/events/happenings in the Deaf world, it seems he has really shut down on this issue too early.

It makes me sad to see him upset by this. He seems to feel like he is neither here nor there culturally--a man without a network. His wife won't even learn to sign (did I mention he teaches ASL?) because he lip reads so well, she doesn't see the point.

I met a deaf man who lip reads and speaks very much like my teacher, so well that I didn't realize until the third time I met him I didn't realize he was deaf (I thought he was soft-spoken). This man does not know but a few signs. I can see how a man like this may feel alienated from the Deaf community (this makes me really sad too).

But my teacher is proficient (I don't know about fluent; I'm no judge and he never signs enough in class to really tell anyway) in ASL. He has deaf friends. He loves and totally admires Deaf culture.

Surely if he looked again, he could he surprised by the community response? Should I just direct him here? I'm not sure he has ever used a forum. He didn't know who Keith Wann was, which isn't a litmus test but does seem to say he hasn't really looked within the community for a long time for available culture. It took me about four days of casual reading to come across Wann's name so many times in entertainment that I looked him up and watched a couple of his shows.

In summary, it's not a lack of wanting on his part to find a welcoming Deaf community. But he seems almost scared. My mother-in-law worked for the SC School for the Deaf and Blind, and when I told her about this odd cultural barrier he seems to have created in his head, she was rather shocked.

Any advice? Opinions? It's really getting to me that he could live his whole life feeling there is an insurmountable wall between him and the culture he so wants to claim as his own. :(

Did he ask you for any advice or your opinion?

I knew many deaf people from that era of his age, and their language and schooling experiences were similar. I met most of them thru the larger Deaf community, so they are now a part of it. They don't hang much with the younger, ASL-affirmative members but they all get along. Part may be due to their different backgrounds and viewpoints on oral vs. ASL, and part of it is the natural divide of generations. No one is shunned or criticized as long as they are mutually accepting.

The deaf community of an area covers a wide spectrum of life experiences, attitudes, and personalities.

Yes, I know exactly some "mixed" (hearing/deaf) older married couples. Some of the hearing spouses learn ASL (more PSE), some know the ABC's and a few signs, and some don't bother with signing at all. Some the older deaf spouses mix signs and voice, or use a lot of initialized and older signs (no PC native signs :lol:).

They didn't attend so-called mainstream schools but either state residential schools or private oral day schools.

Some of inclusion, deaf world or hearing world, depends on individual personalities. Some people are more comfortable and flexible about joining in and accepting others; some are not.

I find it interesting that your instructor is so open about his personal feelings and gets visibly upset in front of students.

I wouldn't offer him any "advice" without his asking for it.

For you, I would say try to meet other Deaf community people and don't base your opinions on just this guy. It seems like he might have other issues.

After this class is over, I suggest you find a different instructor. You need to be confident that the instructor you have actually knows his stuff.

I knew many deaf people from that era of his age, and their language and schooling experiences were similar. I met most of them thru the larger Deaf community, so they are now a part of it. They don't hang much with the younger, ASL-affirmative members but they all get along. Part may be due to their different backgrounds and viewpoints on oral vs. ASL, and part of it is the natural divide of generations. No one is shunned or criticized as long as they are mutually accepting.

The deaf community of an area covers a wide spectrum of life experiences, attitudes, and personalities.

Yes, I know exactly some "mixed" (hearing/deaf) older married couples. Some of the hearing spouses learn ASL (more PSE), some know the ABC's and a few signs, and some don't bother with signing at all. Some the older deaf spouses mix signs and voice, or use a lot of initialized and older signs (no PC native signs :lol:).

They didn't attend so-called mainstream schools but either state residential schools or private oral day schools.

Some of inclusion, deaf world or hearing world, depends on individual personalities. Some people are more comfortable and flexible about joining in and accepting others; some are not.

I find it interesting that your instructor is so open about his personal feelings and gets visibly upset in front of students.

For you, I would say try to meet other Deaf community people and don't base your opinions on just this guy. It seems like he might have other issues.

After this class is over, I suggest you find a different instructor. You need to be confident that the instructor you have actually knows his stuff.

I agree with that is sound like the guy has some other issues and was going to say this too. I hope he get helps ,t sure sound like he need it.

If he's an asl teacher then he should not be a teacher in the first place. He does not have a good role model for the Deaf community. I'm shocked

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

If he's an asl teacher then he should not be a teacher in the first place. He does not have a good role model for the Deaf community. I'm shocked

So he would be a good role for model for the hearing community ??? And this really has nothing to with be good role model , the guy is human and people are not prefect . Is really sound like he is having a hard time if what the OP
saying is half true. And like someone said did the guy ask the OP to come here and ask for advice for him ?

No, he didn't. He thinks I don't realize how insular and unaccepting the Deaf community is, and he assured me that he would not be welcomed in such a culture. It just seemed really sad as well as false to me. But perhaps I have overstepped asking for opinions on his situation. I just imagine him living the rest of his life feeling like he can't even identify as Deaf because he was brought up outside of the culture as a kid.

Yes, my impression was that he would in fact fit in fine.

I was really taken aback myself. It was just me and one other student, not the whole class, but it was striking.

Noted.

I attend 1-3 small Deaf gatherings a week. Frankly I don't get anything out of the class (so far) because of these interactions and my independent studying through lifeprint.

I agree. I wish I could find one. My new friend here who is deaf used to teach ASL. I wish she still held classes.

I live in East TN, very close to the NC border, about an hour and change east of Knoxville. If anyone knows of resources here, definitely please let me know! The events I go to are religiously affiliated. They help tremendously, and the people are great, but I would love to find a structured class or a program suitable for those who already have a BA (in a non-related field--mine is in English/writing). I would also love to attend Deaf events that are not centered around a specific sect of a specific religion, although I am so happy to be a part of the events I get to attend.

Thanks all. I guess I shouldn't broach the subject again with him. My heart just goes out to him.

So he would be a good role for model for the hearing community ??? And this really has nothing to with be good role model , the guy is human and people are not prefect . Is really sound like he is having a hard time if what the OP
saying is half true. And like someone said did the guy ask the OP to come here and ask for advice for him ?

ASL teachers tend to be a very confident, pride, and happy as a Deaf person. Yes it has to do with the role model for the Deaf community what Hearing people are seeing a Confident Deaf Person. NOT a broken person who feels sorry for him/herself in front of hearing community. :no:

ASL teachers tend to be a very confident, pride, and happy as a Deaf person. Yes it has to do with the role model for the Deaf community what Hearing people are seeing a Confident Deaf Person. NOT a broken person who feels sorry for him/herself in front of hearing community. :no:

Get off your deaf high horses! Why does this this only apply to deaf people ?? This work for both and deaf and hearing people . Any teacher hearing or deaf should be confident about their self in front of their student.
Hearing and deaf kids can pick on this .

Get off your deaf high horses! Why does this this only apply to deaf people ?? This work for both and deaf and hearing people . Any teacher hearing or deaf should be confident about their self in front of their student.

It's a specific class and subject being talked about.

So it applies to the teacher of the class being the right person.

Not Likey! :lol:

And like someone said did the guy ask the OP to come here and ask for advice for him ?

I just wanted to quickly respond to this as well.

He certainly didn't ask me to come here. I don't think he has ever used a forum, and I'm sure he has no idea this one exists. The subject came up because I was wondering why he felt that he could not self-identify as Deaf (he was rather disparaging to himself in insisting to the class that he is "only a little d.") He is not very tech savvy, and I get the impression that he feels Deaf culture has been quite static these past 20 or so years. That was partially why I was asking him about his feeling that he could not label himself as part of the Deaf community he so loves and clearly reveres.

That was when he looked super sad and said "You don't understand how it is with these people."

Yeah, I was shocked myself.

He lives in the past with a lot of other things, too, and his teaching methods do sometimes strike me as out-of-bounds, particularly because I have been in teaching roles.

I just wanted to quickly respond to this as well.

He certainly didn't ask me to come here. I don't think he has ever used a forum, and I'm sure he has no idea this one exists. The subject came up because I was wondering why he felt that he could not self-identify as Deaf (he was rather disparaging to himself in insisting to the class that he is "only a little d.") He is not very tech savvy, and I get the impression that he feels Deaf culture has been quite static these past 20 or so years. That was partially why I was asking him about his feeling that he could not label himself as part of the Deaf community he so loves and clearly reveres.

That was when he looked super sad and said "You don't understand how it is with these people."

Yeah, I was shocked myself.

He lives in the past with a lot of other things, too, and his teaching methods do sometimes strike me as out-of-bounds, particularly because I have been in teaching roles.

Maybe he was raised in a very sheltered life ,it's really hard to know why he feel the way he does , he sound like a very sensitive person . He is human and I feel some people expect their teacher to be perfect . I had a college professor that show very little emotion and he could put the class to sleep . Some professors had little surprise birthday party for him and you would had thought he at a funeral , I could tell everyone was disappointed the guy was not excited at all.

He should not become an asl
Teacher. He could have become history teacher then he can share his experiences about his own deaf identify issue. Just saying

I have no idea if this is the right subforum for this, or even if I can accomplish anything by asking for opinions here.

My ASL teacher is deaf. He sometimes identifies as HOH. He says his hearing was at 6%, now at 3%. (I have no idea how that translates to heard decibel levels, which I usually see?)

He is totally bummed. I thought he was going to tear up last night. He was raised in the oralist tradition and is a proficient lip reader.

He grew up in the late 50s and through the 60s. Although he is pretty highly involved in ASL (albeit a little old fashioned with some signs) and has deaf friends, he feels that he necessarily lives outside of Deaf culture, and it clearly distresses him and gives him grief.

He often reflects sadly that he "is only a little d," and he seems to have the impression that those who consider themselves Deaf want nothing to do with him because he was brought up in oralism and the hearing world.

I don't understand how he got 6% which might be in 60% or 3% which might be in 30% of hearing loss. I have never see or heard of (figure of speech) really that low percent of his hearing loss. His hearing at 6% or 3% is more milder which mean he can hear without his hearing aid(s).

I don't know how he became ASL teacher if he was using grief for his class to feel sorry for him. He was not doing the way he should visualize Deaf community's confidence and happiness at being Deaf person. He is more oral than ASL, even he was or is interest in ASL and Deaf Culture. I don't know where this is coming from.

Yeah, we were put into the mainstream schools without ASL back in 1950 and 1960. I think the mainstream schools finally started having ASL along with ASL interpreters in the 1970.

But still, if he wanted to be ASL teacher to teach the hearing and some deaf people how to sign ASL and to study about Deaf Culture, then he should show confidence as a Deaf person should behave. He should not show grief in front of the hearing people, even deaf people who want to learn ASL. :(

There must be something else going on here. I'm surprised a deaf ASL teacher would not understand the cultural issue between the two groups. Beyond the two groups, the fact is you can't be friends with everyone. This in and of itself may be the real issue here.

If the teacher is really affected by this, he should seek out none capital D groups who will accept him. There are many more of these.

The issue here is not the amount of deafness(you can't put a number on deafness) or the amount of sign, the issue is belief. The teacher probably doesn't have the belief needed to fit into that group.

There must be something else going on here. I'm surprised a deaf ASL teacher would not understand the cultural issue between the two groups. Beyond the two groups, the fact is you can't be friends with everyone. This in and of itself may be the real issue here.

If the teacher is really affected by this, he should seek out none capital D groups who will accept him. There are many more of these.

The issue here is not the amount of deafness(you can't put a number on deafness) or the amount of sign, the issue is belief. The teacher probably doesn't have the belief needed to fit into that group.

:like:

The hearing loss thing--I have no idea. He does wear a hearing aid and can pick up very loud noises, but he can't functionally hear from what I've observed. He lipreads very well and depends on that.

Back