sign language interpreter job

japncuz87

Reaction score
Hi i am new to the site. I am considering doing sign language as a career. Maybe teach in a small class room. I am currently learning sign language at home, waiting till fall to take college classes. I am wondering if someone can give me some insight into the schooling/preperations/studdying and qualifications I will need to get a job. Please be specific in anyway. thanks !

What state are you from cuz i yhibk its different for every state. Buy well you get your B.A. and need to get teaching credentials. Yhere is some that are bilingual something....and thats about all info i have x_x sorry if its bit useful.

AAlso if you want to be an interpreter then take as many asl classes and practice a lot. There is a test so you can have credentials. Depending on state some rewuire you have an A.A., somr a B.A. and some dont really require you havr any diploma. I hope im right....

:welcome:

If you want RID/NAD certification you will need at least a bachelor's degree, any major.

I strongly recommend you take and graduate from an Interpreter Training Program (ITP).

If you're serious about your goal, join national RID and become active in your local/state branches of RID.

After you learn some ASL, try to attend local signing social activities and get to know members of the Deaf community.

i am in california. most jobs that are offered here require EIPA certification.

i am in california. most jobs that are offered here require EIPA certification.

I'm a bit confused.
Did you want to teach, or interpret?

EIPA certs are for "Ed interpreters" (school aged kids). They aren't teaching degrees (or any kind of degree for that matter).

Can you elaborate more about what specifically you want to be able to do?

isnt interpreting teaching ? i want to be able to work 1 on 1 with a student. i hope the idea of that is realistic as a career.

isnt interpreting teaching ? i want to be able to work 1 on 1 with a student. i hope the idea of that is realistic as a career.

1352.gif

No, they're two entirely different fields.

Interpreters aren't teachers, they are people who facilitate communication between people using different languages (ASL & English, Spanish & French, Germans and Tagalog etc).

Teachers aren't interpreters, they are people who teach in whichever language they are fluent (typically to a class also fluent in that language). They don't interpret between languages.

The only situation in which you'd be using ASL to teach, would be if you wanted a career working and teaching in a Deaf ASL using school. In which case you'd need to have at least a B.Ed (typically a Masters) as well as additional number of years of university specially to be a Teacher of the Deaf. You'd also need to be fluent (near natively) in ASL. All up you're looking at at least 10-12 years worth of study.

communicater and interpretating slightly different the sign is slightly too.i would class myself as communicator..i think this applys to most countries but I maybe wrong I also out of touch...

Maybe there's some confusion from the way the Educational Interpreting Proficiency Assessment is sometimes used. At the Deaf school local to me (well, there are two, but only one uses ASL) hearing employees have to pass a proficiency exam. (I'm not sure what Deaf employees have to do, so I'll only address what I know.) Anyway, for staff members, they just have to pass the SLPI (Sign Language Proficiency Interview). The skill level they have to demonstrate depends on what their job is. Teachers, on the other hand, have to pass the EIPA. (That is not to say that passing the EIPA is the only thing they have to do. They also have to have any required training/education/certification to teach the grades/subjects/etc involved in their job.)

But that could explain any confusion about teaching/interpreting/EIPA stuff.

Say what?! :shock:

No, interpreting is interpreting, and teaching is teaching. Although it does sometimes include driving the bus. :D

Dear person that i don't know.

I just came from california. I was in school there to be an interpreter. i had to move back to the southeast, sadly. I really enjoyed the Deaf community there. My program was a bit tough, but i wish i could finish it.

First off, eipa is for schools, but is interpreting in schools what you want? Keep in mind that you won't be working in the summers. A CDI friend of mine has a summer job as a life guard when school is out. He doesn't look so great in trunks. i pay him to keep the shirt on :P

California has minimum requirements, but don't let that fool you into thinking this will be an easy thing to accomplish. There is a lot needed to be a good interpreter, like passion and respect for the community. Many states sometimes have no requirements. If you want the work, I suggest a decent program that doesn't b.s. around if you really want to do it. I'd suggest talking to interpreters and seeing what their job is like. I mean my teacher was telling us that one of the agencies asked a girl if she wouldn't mind strip clubs, so keep in mind you could work anywhere.

Second, there are OTHER opportunities in your state to work one on one with Deaf if that's what you want. California offers many opportunities to work with your local Deaf community. My friend thought she would be one, then she dropped the program. All she wanted to do was work with Deaf children, not interpret. a few of the teachers laid out other options for her. Heck, csun even offers this community service concentration in Deaf Studies that i was drool over. It's to work in nonprofits or community service organizations that specialize with Deaf. heck, you could tutor kids if you really wanna go simplistic.

I have no idea where in the state you are. Programs vary throughout the state. If i had my pick, i'd totally go to ohlone. They work with csd. i think it sound amazing. :D That, or i'd go back to my old school and see how fast my teacher can make me freeze with that look he gives people.

(I sound over the top, don't i?)

Back