College presidents want lower drinking age

lumbingmi

Reaction score
RALEIGH, North Carolina — College presidents from about 100 of the best-known U.S. universities, including Duke, Dartmouth and Ohio State, are calling on lawmakers to consider lowering the drinking age from 21 to 18, saying current laws actually encourage dangerous binge drinking on campus.
The movement called the Amethyst Initiative began quietly recruiting presidents more than a year ago to provoke national debate about the U.S. drinking age, which is among the highest in the world.

"This is a law that is routinely evaded," said John McCardell, former president of Middlebury College in Vermont who started the organization. "It is a law that the people at whom it is directed believe is unjust and unfair and discriminatory."

Other prominent schools in the group include Syracuse, Tufts, Colgate, Kenyon and Morehouse.

But even before the presidents begin the public phase of their efforts, which may include publishing newspaper ads in the coming weeks, they are already facing sharp criticism.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Ohio State | Vermont | Greece | Singapore | Syracuse | Duke University | President Bill Clinton | Dartmouth | Harvard School of Public Health | Colgate | Middlebury College | Tufts | Kenyon | Morehouse | John McCardell
Mothers Against Drunk Driving says lowering the drinking age would lead to more fatal car crashes. It accuses the presidents of misrepresenting science and looking for an easy way out of an inconvenient problem. MADD officials are even urging parents to think carefully about the safety of colleges whose presidents have signed on.

"It's very clear the 21-year-old drinking age will not be enforced at those campuses," said Laura Dean-Mooney, national president of MADD.

Both sides agree alcohol abuse by college students is a huge problem.

Research has found more than 40% of college students reported at least one symptom of alcohol abuse or dependance. One study has estimated more than 500,000 full-time students at four-year colleges suffer injuries each year related in some way to drinking, and about 1,700 die in such accidents.

A recent Associated Press analysis of federal records found that 157 college-age people, 18 to 23, drank themselves to death from 1999 through 2005.

Moana Jagasia, a Duke University sophomore from Singapore, where the drinking age is lower, said reducing the age in the U.S. could be helpful.

"There isn't that much difference in maturity between 21 and 18," she said. "If the age is younger, you're getting exposed to it at a younger age, and you don't freak out when you get to campus."

McCardell's group takes its name from ancient Greece, where the purple gemstone amethyst was widely believed to ward off drunkenness if used in drinking vessels and jewelry. He said college students will drink no matter what, but do so more dangerously when it's illegal.

The statement the presidents have signed avoids calling explicitly for a younger drinking age. Rather, it seeks "an informed and dispassionate debate" over the issue and the federal highway law that made 21 the de facto national drinking age by denying money to any state that bucks the trend.

But the statement makes clear the signers think the current law isn't working, citing a "culture of dangerous, clandestine binge-drinking," and noting that while adults under 21 can vote and enlist in the military, they "are told they are not mature enough to have a beer." Furthermore, "by choosing to use fake IDs, students make ethical compromises that erode respect for the law."

But some college administrators sharply disagree that lowering the drinking age would help. University of Miami President Donna Shalala, who served as secretary of health and human services under President Bill Clinton, declined to sign.

"I remember college campuses when we had 18-year-old drinking ages, and I honestly believe we've made some progress," Shalala said in a telephone interview. "To just shift it back down to the high schools makes no sense at all."

Another scholar who has extensively researched college binge-drinking also criticized the presidents' initiative.

"I understand why colleges are doing it, because it splits their students, and they like to treat them all alike rather than having to card some of them. It's a nuisance to them," said Henry Wechsler of the Harvard School of Public Health.

But, "I wish these college presidents sat around and tried to work out ways to deal with the problem on their campus rather than try to eliminate the problem by defining it out of existence," he said.

College presidents want lower drinking age - USATODAY.com

I agree with lowering the drinking age.

When I was at RIT, it was usually students under 21 who bragged about drinking. When I was a RA, I had to deal with a lot of students who were drunk. When I asked them why they were drinking, the most common response was that they wanted to be as cool as those who are able to drink.

Well, if they are able to drink themselves... then there's no competition for being "cool". :)

I agree with lowering the drinking age.

When I was at RIT, it was usually students under 21 who bragged about drinking. When I was a RA, I had to deal with a lot of students who were drunk. When I asked them why they were drinking, the most common response was that they wanted to be as cool as those who are able to drink.

Well, if they are able to drink themselves... then there's no competition for being "cool". :)

Yep. It is like little kids who will go at any length to get their hands on candies. Also this would reduce security problems.

I believe Canada allow 19 yrs old to drink, if correct. We should find out if this 19 yrs old law is any better or wrost than 21 yrs old law.

Yep. It is like little kids who will go at any length to get their hands on candies. Also this would reduce security problems.

I believe Canada allow 19 yrs old to drink, if correct. We should find out if this 19 yrs old law is any better or wrost than 21 yrs old law.
I remember doing a research paper on this subject when I was in high school. I had to do a survey on whether the drinking age should be lowered and ask for reasons why.

A large percentage of students said that it should. Half of those gave very good reasons, while the other half gave stupid excuses.

My teacher didn't like the results of the survey and made me remove some of the polls so that it would look like the majority opposed the lowering of the drinking age. :roll:

One student made a good argument... "If we're allowed to join the army and defend our country at the age of 18, then we should have the right to drink." My teacher thought this was the worse excuse and made me remove it.

This was one of those 'A' papers that I didn't like. :(

I, too, agree with lowering the drinking age. They say at 21, you're mature than being at 18. Well, guess what? That's full of crock. It doesn't matter how old you are. There are 21 years olds out there who are also immature and there's also some mature 18 year olds out there as well. If you are to drink, you just have to be responsible about it. Maturity comes in play when you drink responsibly.

I prefer to stay with 21, because there is another list for someone to look forward to right after they turned 18.

I opposed to of lowering the drinking age to 18. Whereas for some of those whose are 18 and still in high school will likely to drink and drive and cause more accident. For those whose 15, 16, and 17 think it's alright to drink because they are near 18. They should be focusing on education not drinking. I know some of them do drink secretly and not get caught, then that's their parent's responsibility.

In college, any students range from age 18 and up do drink. So why bother lowering the drinking age to 18. It will makes it worst to have a burden on high school.

I believe 21 is the good legal age for consent to drink. 21 is mature age and less drunk and drive accident than 18.

For those who can't control themselves to drinking is having a major mental problem.

I'm 18 in drinking beer at RIT before New York State Law had changed to age 21 I dont think that college presidents want lower drinking age.

I don't think I want the law to lower the drinking age, because of immaturity+beer=deadly car accidents.

If they can enlist in the military and die for our country at age 18 --they should lower the drinking age.

College presidents gotta be insane to lower drinking age.

Last edited:
I agree the drinking age should be lower. People are going to continue to drink at any age, and I don't think it's a matter of maturity. It's a matter of not teaching them to drink right at an early age to handle drinking properly. European country allow younger people to drink in their teens. Perhaps if the USA relaxes on the age issue, young people wouldn't have such an excuse to drink exessively and be cool.

In 1970's, our NJ state allowed 18 years old to drink. I dislike to drink beer or anything. I know some of my friends were 14, 15 or 16 years old, they drank beer or anything.
I went to Seattle. Washington State allowed 21 years old to drink.

In early 80's, they changed law. All states do not allow to drink for under 21.

If, they will change to age 18. Then, many under age will get beer or anything from his/her friends who are 18 years

I prefer to stay 21 years old or go to jail.

I think they should allow 18 yrs old to drink only beer or wine and 21 yrs old to drink liquors.

I agree with you.

I think without legalizing 18 to be the consent to drink and without the effect on high school drinking, the military should let the enlisted person who is 18 to drink included in part of the benefit for serving his/her country. After several months of training and accepted into the service, the 18 years old can drink. But they should limited on how much they should drink.

If 18 want to buy drink, they should show proof of military/army id. On the id it should show how many beer he/she should have.

It is not necessary to make the law allowing 18 to be legal age to drink. If it does, then it will have bad effect on all of the teenager in high school. Remember, high school is all about being popular, cool, peer pressure, socializing, and studying.

Failing grades, mischief, and causing accident will not help them achieve their education or their dream.

Back