How do you sign...

Okay, so instead of asking for a English-to-ASL translation, I would appreciate the opposite. I see this particular sign in song interpretations a lot, but I can never really guess what it means through context (which I'm pretty good at):

The sign is a one-handed "c" shape facing self near the chin, then enclosed and pulled down, like someone is literally trying to pull their face down, and there's generally a kind of desperate facial expression. What does this sign mean?

Much appreciation if someone can tell me. :ty:

Okay, so instead of asking for a English-to-ASL translation, I would appreciate the opposite. I see this particular sign in song interpretations a lot, but I can never really guess what it means through context (which I'm pretty good at):

The sign is a one-handed "c" shape facing self near the chin, then enclosed and pulled down, like someone is literally trying to pull their face down, and there's generally a kind of desperate facial expression. What does this sign mean?

Sounds like old, or age when referring to the age of a person.

how do you say "libertarian"?

I suppose it's to be spelled...

EDIT: say=sign

Do you mean like CHERISH?

Okay, I finally found it. Thank you very much. It sucks not having many people in my town who can help me with vocabulary that is Greek to me. :P

Last week we had to discribe our kitchens. I fingerspelled Taco Bell. :giggle:

Our homework is to go home and practice signing our kitchens.

How do I sign pots & pans?

And how about miscellaneous? Not a junk drawer, but miscellaneous kitchen stuff.

Thanks!

For pot or pan, I would use cook + classifier (shape). For miscellaneous drawer I would use drawer + measure spoons, measure cup,knives (a few examples). ?

For pot or pan, I would use cook + classifier (shape). For miscellaneous drawer I would use drawer + measure spoons, measure cup,knives (a few examples). ?
Yes, YOU KNOW, DRAWER, point inside the drawer, then list a few of the objects in the drawers, then sign VARIOUS.

Thanks! Of course, I forgot to tell the class what was in the drawers (and I had a cheat sheet on a nearby desk).

How do you sign the word "Kneeler"? I have to sign a play for my church and the first line is "Lower your kneelers" but I haven't been able to find the sign for it...

Wirelessly posted

Jiro said:
I see dozens of "how do you sign....." so for your convenience purpose - here it is. :cool2:

you can ask about word or translating English into ASL or whatever.

I know the sign for divorce and separate, but I can't remember "break up"... I was asked about it last night when I was helping someone.... can someone send me a pm with it please? easier than trying to find the answer here... Thanks.

How do you sign the word "Kneeler"? I have to sign a play for my church and the first line is "Lower your kneelers" but I haven't been able to find the sign for it...
Combine KNEEL with classifiers for the bar, and mime the action.

Here's one that I'm never satisfied with:

Compromise (verb or noun forms)

As in: "It's important not to compromise our doctrines."

Or: "He refused to compromise his morals just to keep his job."

Or: "Their choice was an uncomfortable compromise of values."

Any suggestions?

Here's one that I'm never satisfied with:

Compromise (verb or noun forms)

As in: "It's important not to compromise our doctrines."

Or: "He refused to compromise his morals just to keep his job."

Or: "Their choice was an uncomfortable compromise of values."

Any suggestions?

Oh good question Reba. I look forward to hearing the answers :).
I have used both "agree" (Surely we can come to some sort of compromise) and "concede" (Ok I will compromise and let you choose the restaurant) but compromise does not really mean either of those in full ... more like "part agree" or "some concede".

Wirelessly posted
I know the sign for divorce and separate, but I can't remember "break up"... I was asked about it last night when I was helping someone.... can someone send me a pm with it please? easier than trying to find the answer here... Thanks.

Either LET GO or a 2-handed #OFF.

I'm wondering how to sign ASTROLOGY. ASTRONOMY is STAR+STUDY, so perhaps STAR+STUDY, then fs-ASTROLOGY? Or, if astrology is the stars' effect on personality, emotions, etc., perhaps STAR+STUDY WHAT? PERSONALITY, EMOTION???

Guessing here...any sage advice? :)

Back