Nypd bans all hearing aids

melissaamd1

Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/20/n...-police-officers-using-hearing-aids.html?_r=2

I feel this is so wrong of the NYPD. As a newly diagnosed severe-profound adult that grew up hearing, I can only imagine the insult that hard of hearing NYPD officers are facing after serving NYC to protect it's public.
This is just an example (In my personal opinion) of the stigma that hearing loss represents, and the discrimination that the hard of hearing (no matter to what extent) face, once it has been made public.
Hearing loss does not equal stupid, or an individual being any less intelligent than the "Average Joe". In fact, one with hearing loss has to work that much harder cognitively to function in the hearing world, using cognitive abilities and any residual hearing together, plus hearing aids externally, to make it through each and every day. NYPD Officers are NY's finest, please don't push them out because some may require hearing aids. What about those who wear glasses? If they get into an unexpected scuffle with a perp, and their glasses are knocked off, they can't see a thing, or thier gun, or where the perp is, that's ok with the public and the NYPD??
An officer who has a gun on his belt, who cannot see without prescription glasses, it is OK for them to be carrying a loaded weapon in public at least 40-50 hours a week??
Keep in mind, most of their work conditions is in the subway system ( in which most are required to work underground full-time, the sound level is over 120DB, a busy city street is over 95Db).
In conclusion, the NYPD really needs to rethink this new rule.
Keep the officer's who are loyal to NYPD, their record proves it.
Don't force them into early retirement due to wearing a H.A. while on duty, to save the city money. That is plain wrong. And, NO, I don't have any deaf or hard of hearing family members in the NYPD. I am a person who suffers from hearing loss and was appalled by the NYPD's new rule, which I see as plain old discrimination.

Mr. Browne said hearing aids were incompatible with police work because they were vulnerable to “mechanical failure, earwax buildup or any number of things,” and could not completely compensate for hearing deficiencies that might render an officer unable to hear a command properly.

This is what they're sticking with? Earwax buildup? Really?

This is what they're sticking with? Earwax buildup? Really?

I been wearing HA almost 60 years and I never had any earwax buildup!! I know people that have earwax buildup and they do NOT wear HA!

Thank You

I am new to the forum and actually found it by chance while doing some legal reasearch. I was taken by your kind words of support and wanted to thank you. As you must know hearing loss can take a toll! The department's H.A. policy has hurt alot of good men and women in the Departent We thank you !

That's a hell of an organization . .. :roll:

"wax build up" is totally bullshit. I wore hearing aids since I was a year old and I NEVER get wax build up. I clean my ears with the Qtip EVERYDAY. Everytime when I drop a visit to see the doctor and he checks my ears, he says it is clean as a whistle.

Sounds like they may have a good law suit! I have a long held soft spot in my heart for the NYPD. If I was younger and single I would love to have been a cop there. Heck, I would love to even do a ride along with them for one night! That would be a dream come true.

Back