Indiana religious objections bill signed for stores owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its going to bite Indiana in the tax revenue as many businesses will circumvent their stuff and move to other state for their employees.

Now all the cab drivers can refuse to give rides to anyone not wearing a turban or a Burka.

Title is misleading. The Bill that was signed into law was called the "Religious Objections Bill". It was not a law allowing business owners to kick gay people out of their stores.

From the article:

"There has been a lot of misunderstanding about this bill," Pence said. "This bill is not about discrimination, and if I thought it legalized discrimination in any way I would've vetoed it."

Pence pointed out that President Barack Obama voted in favor of a similar state law while he was an Illinois legislator. But when Pence was asked whether he would support matching Illinois by adding sexual orientation to the state's civil rights law, he responded: "That's not on my agenda. I won't be pursuing that."

Obama should talk to a radical Mormon and his 12 wives many Mormons got views on Afro/American most racist book I ever read book of Mormon. Utah a fair whack of America voting population

I not lumping all Mormons in this group I expect some Mormons are not racist

I not lumping all Mormons in this group I expect some Mormons are not racist
I was surprised to see that Utah is not one of the 31 states with religious freedom/protection laws.

the book of Mormon states Afro/American are inferior and don't go to heaven...back in 70'80 they had to revise it..you no find many who Mormon..so that premis they could refuse to serve them in shops..many Mormons feel it gods will have 12 wives which against law now they get serve in shops..that proberly why got protection laws

the book of Mormon states Afro/American are inferior and don't go to heaven...back in 70'80 they had to revise it..you no find many who Mormon..so that premis they could refuse to serve them in shops..many Mormons feel it gods will have 12 wives which against law now they get serve in shops..that proberly why got protection laws

You should watch the movie "Sweetwater" - its on Netflix

Caz, I suspect that the some of the old Mormon ways, like polygamy, are not practiced by the majority of Mormons, but I could be wrong. I do know that there are Mormons who are trying to bring about change in the ?doctrines? and some have been excommunicated because of this.

I hate when people generalize religions, politics, etc. Just because a few bad apples make the news does not mean everyone affiliated with the same religion, political party, etc is the same way.

Title is misleading. The Bill that was signed into law was called the "Religious Objections Bill". It was not a law allowing business owners to kick gay people out of their stores.

From the article:

Some legislators admitted that religious bill is used to legalize the discrimination against LGBT people so businesses are not liable if they discriminate against LGBT based on religious ground.

Some legislators admitted that religious bill is used to legalize the discrimination against LGBT people so businesses are not liable if they discriminate against LGBT based on religious ground.

You mean like a Florist that refuses to sell flowers for a same sex wedding based on her religious beliefs? Or a baker who refuses to bake a wedding cake for a same sex wedding based on his religious beliefs? Or a private property owner who refuses to lease their property for a same sex wedding based on their religious beliefs? Or a photographer that refuses to take photos for a same sex wedding?

Would you actually use government force to make these people comply with your demands?

really?

I see a Civil War over the horizon. There is no way that any government will ever be able to legislate morality.

my friend's reply about this bill -

MY OPINION ON INDIANA'S ANTI-GAY BILL:
Let me know if this sounds familiar: You can't force a company to do business a certain way against their strongly held beliefs. Right? In this case, the business believes that all people should be treated equal. The problem was letting the government get involved at all with passing the Religious Restoration Act in 1993. Religion does not belong in government and vice versa. You don't like a religious business that donates to anti-LBGT? Don't do business there. I'm guessing they'll go out of business. You don't like a business that thinks all should be treated equally because apparently you think your religious freedoms supersede our democratic and capitalist society? Then don't do business there and good luck surviving.

All humans deserve to be treated equally, even criminals have basic human rights. If your religion says that other people are less than you due to race, creed, color, or sexual orientation then the problem is yours and yours alone and it's on you to deal with the consequences. If you support Indiana's passing of the bill -- Defending the idea that a company that runs their business based on their religious beliefs should not have to change because it is a "religious persecution" to do so, then don't suddenly ask why companies are choosing not to do business in a state that goes against their beliefs. If you do, you're a f**king hypocrite. There all sorts of great passages regarding the topic in a book that many of you should be familiar with (but statistically probably haven't even read)

That said, the list of states I'd move to keeps getting shorter every time a new one does something f**king asinine.

You mean like a Florist that refuses to sell flowers for a same sex wedding based on her religious beliefs? Or a baker who refuses to bake a wedding cake for a same sex wedding based on his religious beliefs? Or a private property owner who refuses to lease their property for a same sex wedding based on their religious beliefs? Or a photographer that refuses to take photos for a same sex wedding?

Would you actually use government force to make these people comply with your demands?

really?

I see a Civil War over the horizon. There is no way that any government will ever be able to legislate morality.

It is pointless for pass the religious liberty law because Indiana doesn't have anti-discrimination laws cover on LGBT so no law = allow anyone to not serve to customers or fire employees because of their sexual orientation.

It is waste of time and it does hurt state's publicity to businesses.

I was bullied by Christians in past (and failed suicide attempt due to bullying) so I have nothing to say if Christian businesses are fined for violation of anti-discrimination law so I have no sympathy for them due to victim of bullying in the past.

It is pointless for pass the religious liberty law because Indiana doesn't have anti-discrimination laws cover on LGBT so no law = allow anyone to not serve to customers or fire employees because of their sexual orientation.

It is waste of time and it does hurt state's publicity to businesses.

I was bullied by Christians in past (and failed suicide attempt due to bullying) so I have nothing to say if Christian businesses are fined for violation of anti-discrimination law so I have no sympathy for them due to victim of bullying in the past.

I just read Governor Pence's statement - he said this law does NOT allow businesses to discriminate. It does however, protect the 1st Amendment rights of business owners.

.. which is entirely Constitutional ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back