CI Moments

Ha ha, I'm prolly the only person in the USA who actually listens to commericals just so I can make out words.

:giggle: You are an advertiser's dream!

Ashley had a moment last week. She has started to repeat a few sounds. When she hears the duck go quack quack she will say back ah ah ah. She will growl too sometimes. It is so cute. We are getting there. We go tomorrow to talk about going bilateral. Congrats to everyone on their moments.

Awesome!!! And the new pics of Ashley in your avatar and signature are so cute!!!

CI moment today! I was using the nail clipper to cut my nails & I could hear it with the CI. I took off the CI and couldn't hear me clipping nails again so I put the CI back on and could hear it again. Amazing! I am also noticing that I can hear music better, I mean I heard it before all my life with HA"s but it's so much better! And I notice that at night, if there's a TV on in another room, I can hear the TV being on and it annoys me. LOL! Before with just HA's I could barely hear that it's on so I wouldn't have given a crap if it was on or off. lol. All this and my CI volume is at a 0!!! And there's more but too many to list. lol.

I don't know if I told yall but I emailed my Dr. thanking him for doing such a wonderful job & letting him know that I am loving my CI. :] He emailed me back, thanking me & telling me that it made him feel so good, doing the work he does makes it so worth his time. He loves his job! :]

I go back to the hospital on 8/2 for the next map. Oh crap. That reminds me, I gotta call the hospital and see if I can get in a day or a week sooner cause I'm supposed to be going up north with my girls, sis in law, niece, friend, and her kids. Yup, 3 adults, 5 kids, and 2 babies all in one cottage. lol. :)

Hope yall are doing well!

Here's a recent CI moment. I heard beeps when I parked my car and it didn't sound like the parking brake and I realized that I was hearing the warning sound of me leaving the lights on. I have a really bad habit of leaving lights on. :P I turned off the light. Glad I don't have to jump start my car in the morning. *Phew!*

deafmama,

I can relate to your CI moment about being able to hear the TV in another room. I can still remember my utter surprise and amazement at being able to hear my stereo playing from another room. I was in my bedroom listening to a favorite CD when I walked to the kitchen to get something to drink. As I walked through my apartment, I began to notice that the music sounded softer the closer I got to the kitchen and louder the closer I got to the bedroom. Being able to hear that completely surprised me because I can't remember the last time I was able to hear that with or without HAs. :)

I know exactly what you mean about being able to hear music better. Even at 2 1/2 years post activation of my first CI, music continues to improve for me. When I wore HAs, I could hear music (drum beats and loud male vocals), but now thanks to my CIs, I'm able to appreciate all of the different layers of music -- harmony, melody, lead vocals, background vocals, instrumentals, intonation, pitch, etc. It's wonderful and not a day goes by that I'm not thankful for my ability to hear and appreciate music again. :)

Ha ha, I'm prolly the only person in the USA who actually listens to commericals just so I can make out words.

I have been paying close attention since I got the two digital aids. Im so surprised that I can understand parts of the commercials.

This thread is absolutely wonderful........after all the doom and gloom regarding CI on other threads, I havent been implanted, yet, still on waiting list. But this really gives me something to look forward to, especially with the music as the audie told me that they are not programmed for music so it wont make any difference.

This thread is absolutely wonderful........after all the doom and gloom regarding CI on other threads, I havent been implanted, yet, still on waiting list. But this really gives me something to look forward to, especially with the music as the audie told me that they are not programmed for music so it wont make any difference.

They might not be "programmed" for music, but I tell you - I LOVE having music back in my life!!!!!!!!!!! I am always playing music on my computer, or listening to it on my mp3 player. YouTube is my friend - I love searching out songs I remember people talking about and then finding the lyrics and listening to them to learn something new. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do when you get your CI! And that you share your experiences here with us!!!

Being able to hear things from the next room and UNDERSTAND what people are saying still amazes me!! I remember the first time that happened, about 8 months post-activation and my mom and Dad were in the kitchen talking about their grandchildren (my brother's kids) and I was sitting in the living room and I was understanding everything they said!!! At one point Dad said he wanted to take the kids down to the beach the next day and asked Mom if he thought I'd want to go with- Mom said she'd go ask me, and from the living room I yelled out "I'd LOVE to go!!!" *grin* it was SO cool!

deafmama,

I can relate to your CI moment about being able to hear the TV in another room. I can still remember my utter surprise and amazement at being able to hear my stereo playing from another room. I was in my bedroom listening to a favorite CD when I walked to the kitchen to get something to drink. As I walked through my apartment, I began to notice that the music sounded softer the closer I got to the kitchen and louder the closer I got to the bedroom. Being able to hear that completely surprised me because I can't remember the last time I was able to hear that with or without HAs. :)

I know exactly what you mean about being able to hear music better. Even at 2 1/2 years post activation of my first CI, music continues to improve for me. When I wore HAs, I could hear music (drum beats and loud male vocals), but now thanks to my CIs, I'm able to appreciate all of the different layers of music -- harmony, melody, lead vocals, background vocals, instrumentals, intonation, pitch, etc. It's wonderful and not a day goes by that I'm not thankful for my ability to hear and appreciate music again. :)

Sorry for so many posts today - been busy with final exams this week and only just now had the chance to make replies.

Anyway - today I had, not really a CI-moment but more of a revelation of sorts. I had just completed my final exam for calculus at college - the LAST test, and the final class for my upgrading prior to going into medical lab tech.

While waiting for the bus, a older gentleman came up to me and asked me if I knew when the bus that went downtown was arriving, as he could't read the schedule (print's small) on the board. I got up and found out for him and told him, then we sat down and just started talking - he asked me about my schooling, and I told him how sometimes I feel I'm "too old" to be back in school, still trying to work towards "what I want to be when I grow up," and he told me I'm never to old to stop learning, how his 100 year old father spoke 12 languages and was learning Mandarin when he died.... we spoke of life in Nanaimo, about our passions (he loves to write poetry and plays) and just had a lovely conversation. My bus came before his, so I wished him the best and told him I thoroughly enjoyed talking to him. He wished me the best on my 'scholastic endeavors' as he called them.

When I got on the bus, I sat down, and realized that something as simple as that - having a wonderful conversation with a stranger was something I would have totally shied away from before I had my CI. Now I engage people and the reward of a lovely conversation and the good feeling that comes with it is just so wonderful!

So just a 'feel-good' type moment....I LOVE my CI. And not a day goes by that I am not thankful for what it has brought back to my life :)

My daughter and I were driving around, it was very busy day for me so I was distracted. I was thinking what I had to do next. Of course we had the radio on but I wasn't really listening. My daughter turns to mom and says mom you are not leaning like a cholo. I told her what, she said your song is on the raido and you are not leaning like a cholo. There is this new song and I actually really like it, the song's title is lean like a cholo. So whenever it comes on I put my elbows up and move them side to side because that is what the song tells you to do and my daughter copies me. But today she heard the song and told me to lean like a cholo. I was laughing.

Yesterday I was on the radio to talk about our due process case and getting CART for my daughter. When I left in the morning, I put the radio station on through the internet so my husband could hear me. On the radio show I talked about how when my son was young, people would stare at his implant and start talking really slow and loud. He would then turn to me and ask me mom, do they think I am dumb, I'm just deaf not dumb or stupid. He then calls me on the phone and tells me that he heard me telling the story about him on the radio. This is just so amazing that he clearly heard everything I said and then called me on the phone and I was on a cell phone we had a conversation about this event and what the rest of day was going to be like.

Sorry for so many posts today - been busy with final exams this week and only just now had the chance to make replies.

Anyway - today I had, not really a CI-moment but more of a revelation of sorts. I had just completed my final exam for calculus at college - the LAST test, and the final class for my upgrading prior to going into medical lab tech.

While waiting for the bus, a older gentleman came up to me and asked me if I knew when the bus that went downtown was arriving, as he could't read the schedule (print's small) on the board. I got up and found out for him and told him, then we sat down and just started talking - he asked me about my schooling, and I told him how sometimes I feel I'm "too old" to be back in school, still trying to work towards "what I want to be when I grow up," and he told me I'm never to old to stop learning, how his 100 year old father spoke 12 languages and was learning Mandarin when he died.... we spoke of life in Nanaimo, about our passions (he loves to write poetry and plays) and just had a lovely conversation. My bus came before his, so I wished him the best and told him I thoroughly enjoyed talking to him. He wished me the best on my 'scholastic endeavors' as he called them.

When I got on the bus, I sat down, and realized that something as simple as that - having a wonderful conversation with a stranger was something I would have totally shied away from before I had my CI. Now I engage people and the reward of a lovely conversation and the good feeling that comes with it is just so wonderful!

So just a 'feel-good' type moment....I LOVE my CI. And not a day goes by that I am not thankful for what it has brought back to my life :)

I think that being able to have a complete conversation with my children is the best part of them having an implant. Now that my daughter is 17 years I am just so happy to be to talk to her about so many things and her being able to understand what I am saying. The other wonderful thing is that they are able to talk on the phone. When they were young I use to worry about them not being able to talk on the phone.

Yeah, Neecy, that's great, isn't it? And to think how everyday normal hearing people take something like a simple conversation for for granted. With us it's so precious!

Neecy, I couldn't have said it better myself! :)

I'll never forget the first conversation I had after getting my CI. It was an unforgettable moment and something I'll treasure forever.

Not a day goes by that I'm not thankful for this wonderful technology! :)

WHat are you doing think so nothing>

I didn't know what is wrong so matter your problem. I have my choice decision tell honest. But I know so well wait to long time 6 months. I am very hope you wait to coming, Neccy. I know you are be respect to my feeling really sometimes I know frustrated.

Why don't against to Travis won't be blame or getting mad. I didn't know reason you what's wrong how you know feeling different to person. I have my human. I have right choice my surgery. I have right my own reason important to tell know everythings. PLease don't laugh or don't meaning. Please respect to me . I know be positive.

Reason my afraid

I didn't know what is wrong so matter your problem. I have my choice decision tell honest. But I know so well wait to long time 6 months. I am very hope you wait to coming, Neccy. I know you are be respect to my feeling really sometimes I know frustrated.

Why don't against to Travis won't be blame or getting mad. I didn't know reason you what's wrong how you know feeling different to person. I have my human. I have right choice my surgery. I have right my own reason important to tell know everythings. PLease don't laugh or don't meaning. Please respect to me . I know be positive.

I told I am afraid I am upset. I didn't get negative to nothing so well you how know me. WHat's wrong and who is tell saying speak to what is happen>:eek:

Um...I may be having a blond moment here rather than a deaf one......can someone translate this post for me, must mean something to someone?????

Um...I may be having a blond moment here rather than a deaf one......can someone translate this post for me, must mean something to someone?????

I'm glad I'm not the only one asking- I can understand a little bit, but none of it seems to have ANY bearing on CI Moments??? Anybody here better at translating ASL to English care to help?

Back