Please tell Blu-Ray to support Closed Caption CC

I read your list of requirement. The only way to record TV shows on Blu-ray recorders is by Over-the-Air (OTA) antenna because HDTV from OTA is NOT encrypted. Blu-ray recorders will require ATSC tuners inside.

You CANNOT record HDTV programs from HDTV cable or satellite to Blu-ray recorders because the signals are encrypted. The only way to record HDTV shows from cable or satellite is to use their HDTV DVR (digital video recorder) boxes which records on DVR's hard disk. DVR's typically have CC deocoders and can transmit CC through HDMI. DVR's simply overlay CC texts on video signal which is not exactly the same as line 21 in analog CC.

Also, I have noticed many Blu-ray movies do not have CC available, only subtitles. You have to write a letter to not only Blu-ray manufacturers, but also to movie studios. Good luck with that especially with bad economy. No one wants to spend extra money to add CC when subtitles are already available. Plus more and more subtitles are available for the deaf (SDH). So, I am happy with current subtitles.

Peter

I read your list of requirement. The only way to record TV shows on Blu-ray recorders is by Over-the-Air (OTA) antenna because HDTV from OTA is NOT encrypted. Blu-ray recorders will require ATSC tuners inside.

You CANNOT record HDTV programs from HDTV cable or satellite to Blu-ray recorders because the signals are encrypted. The only way to record HDTV shows from cable or satellite is to use their HDTV DVR (digital video recorder) boxes which records on DVR's hard disk. DVR's typically have CC deocoders and can transmit CC through HDMI. DVR's simply overlay CC texts on video signal which is not exactly the same as line 21 in analog CC.

Also, I have noticed many Blu-ray movies do not have CC available, only subtitles. You have to write a letter to not only Blu-ray manufacturers, but also to movie studios. Good luck with that especially with bad economy. No one wants to spend extra money to add CC when subtitles are already available. Plus more and more subtitles are available for the deaf (SDH). So, I am happy with current subtitles.

Peter

I'm not talking about recording TV shows. Blu-ray players are DVD players also and need to support hard encoding of Closed Caption CC.

FOX movies have Closed Caption on their Blu-Ray discs. Some people like Closed Caption CC others like subtitles.

PowerDVD and some DVD players Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer have hard encoding of Closed Caption.

This is what you said:

"3.When Blu-Ray recorders come out Deaf people like to record a show when they are not come. The only way they can watch the show after it has been recorded is Closed Caption."

I was trying to say how you can or cannot record HDTV programs depending on whether you use OTA, cable, or satellite.

I have Vista Media Center computer connecting to 60" TV with DVI inputs (same as HDMI without audio) and it records and plays back HDTV programs along with CC very well. A computer is a good alternative to Blu-ray players/recorders. I also have PDVD 8 software to playback Blu-ray movies with subtitles. No need to get Blu-ray player. One size fits all.

Peter

This is what you said:

"3.When Blu-Ray recorders come out Deaf people like to record a show when they are not come. The only way they can watch the show after it has been recorded is Closed Caption."

I was trying to say how you can or cannot record HDTV programs depending on whether you use OTA, cable, or satellite.

I have Vista Media Center computer connecting to 60" TV with DVI inputs (same as HDMI without audio) and it records and plays back HDTV programs along with CC very well. A computer is a good alternative to Blu-ray players/recorders. I also have PDVD 8 software to playback Blu-ray movies with subtitles. No need to get Blu-ray player. One size fits all.

Peter

Do you know what capture card you have in that computer? Your media center is that a HP one?

Do you know what capture card you have in that computer? Your media center is that a HP one?

I built the computer myself. The two HDTV tuner cards are VBOX DTA-150. There are many HDTV tuner cards available in both old style PCI and new style PCI-e. This is not a capture card that you might copy from DVD or Blu-ray players and it's a big difference unless you meant HDTV tuner card.

HDTV tuner cards:

VBOX DTA-150: ATSC Receiver, ATSC Terrestrial HDTV receivers, terrestrial broadband data, IP over ATSC
DVico Fusion cards: www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/eng/
HD Homerun (external): products/hdhomerun - Silicondust

I think HD Homerun is probably the best choice because it can tune to HDTV ClearQAM which is available for free from your local cable company.

There are many others and I listed the top three.

Peter

Peter, so HD Homerun does closed caption with not problems?

From the pictures on Amazon it seems that it moves the video into the PC over the network card, is that right? I thought it would be USB?

The CC comes from Windows Media Center (Vista or Windows MCE 2005). Media Center CC works great. HD Homerun is just a piece of hardware to tune HDTV signals and does not care for CC. It's the software that provides CC support. MCE CC has black background but you can change it.

I don't exactly know how HD Homerun works because I don't own one but I read very high praises about it. I believe you are correct that it uses network card, not USB. This is handy because you can watch TV from anywhere in your house through a network but each TV in each room may require a computer for this to work. I do not recommend using wireless because it's too slow even for 54 Mbps.

Peter

Peter, thanks I was having problems for years trying to get Closed Caption working under XP Pro.

I had a All in Wonder 32meg card. It would display Closed Caption but could not record line 21. I could record with Closed Caption on and have Closed Caption printed on the picture but I did not like that.

The only PC capture card I heard about was a hauppauge USB product that they no longer make.

So you use the software from Microsoft to record then?

Yes. It's not available in XP Pro. Only in MCE 2005 or Vista Premium. You cannot buy or install stand alone Media Center Edition on XP Pro because it's part of Operating System found only in MCE 2005 or Vista Premium. MCE 2005 is XP Pro with an addition of Media Center Edition software.

Peter

Argh!! I spent all that money

Blu-Ray players need to support hard encoding Closed Caption CC

Blu-Ray players need to support hard encoding Closed Caption CC - Blu-ray Forum

Please take a second to make a post over at Blu-Ray.com and tell them why you really need Closed Caption CC. Tell them also to have a Ps3 firmware update to support Closed Caption CC.

How do we get them to? I had a chat session last night with Sony trying to let customer service show me how to get closed captioning on my brand new Sony blu ray player. Brendan the chat customer service man says well you have subtitles...I'm like well so what the subtitles don't have everything plus I'm Hearing Impaired so I would like to have the subtitles in my language. What good are subtitles to me or anyone when the subtitle languages are not in the same language the dvd's spoken language is in????

Anyway I'm new here and this is my first post and I was so upset about my new blu ray player. I spent a little over $80.00 on 3 seasons of supernatural and over $200,00 on the new blu ray player and dammit I can't even get the freakin subtitles in my language let alone what I should be able to get [have] which is closed caption accessibility

People of all ages with different reasons need closed caption why don't they recognize that. Oh and I told Brendan the customer support employee I will be returning my new Sony blu ray player and won't purchase any Sony products until they make them close caption accessible. Then I also went to the cw channel 11 website and joined them in the lounge since I'm a supernatural fan and let them know the problem with not having close caption their answer also is use the subtitles to help me. They said it nicer than Sony without what I perceived as an attitude. I explained the discs don't have English subtitles :( The only other option I have now, that I know of, is save up for a laptop and watch the dvd's on that or somehow learn how to download movies on my computer and use media manager with verizon. That way I can get closed captioning ....maybe. I can on my computer with windows media manager I figured out how.

Don't they realize there is a market for closed captioning and when they supply what we demand and need they make money. Sheesh.

How do we get them to? I had a chat session last night with Sony trying to let customer service show me how to get closed captioning on my brand new Sony blu ray player. Brendan the chat customer service man says well you have subtitles...I'm like well so what the subtitles don't have everything plus I'm Hearing Impaired so I would like to have the subtitles in my language. What good are subtitles to me or anyone when the subtitle languages are not in the same language the dvd's spoken language is in????

Anyway I'm new here and this is my first post and I was so upset about my new blu ray player. I spent a little over $80.00 on 3 seasons of supernatural and over $200,00 on the new blu ray player and dammit I can't even get the freakin subtitles in my language let alone what I should be able to get [have] which is closed caption accessibility

People of all ages with different reasons need closed caption why don't they recognize that. Oh and I told Brendan the customer support employee I will be returning my new Sony blu ray player and won't purchase any Sony products until they make them close caption accessible. Then I also went to the cw channel 11 website and joined them in the lounge since I'm a supernatural fan and let them know the problem with not having close caption their answer also is use the subtitles to help me. They said it nicer than Sony without what I perceived as an attitude. I explained the discs don't have English subtitles :( The only other option I have now, that I know of, is save up for a laptop and watch the dvd's on that or somehow learn how to download movies on my computer and use media manager with verizon. That way I can get closed captioning ....maybe. I can on my computer with windows media manager I figured out how.

Don't they realize there is a market for closed captioning and when they supply what we demand and need they make money. Sheesh.

Supernatural on Blu-ray has SDH. It's basically the same concept as CC including sound descriptions.

Hi Banjo,

Ok what is SDH?

If it has to do with subtitles it doesn't help me with blu ray player but does, somewhat, on the computer?

EDIT: Oh and I saw the blu ray supernatural discs for season 4 and in the description it said the subtitles are in every language except English. I don't want to purchase it in an other language other than English because I can hear, though impaired, so I want either subtitles in English if subtitles are all I can get.

I'm not talking about recording TV shows. Blu-ray players are DVD players also and need to support hard encoding of Closed Caption CC.

FOX movies have Closed Caption on their Blu-Ray discs. Some people like Closed Caption CC others like subtitles.

PowerDVD and some DVD players Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer have hard encoding of Closed Caption.

Ohh I just asked Banjo what SDH is and now I see you mention it too. Sheesh you guys sure know a lot more than I do. I am a computer and electronic dummy. Subtitles don't help me since I can hear but am impaired but dammit the subtitles come in a different language. So if I speak English and buy the movie/disc in English speaking then the subtitles are in other languages but not in my spoken english language. Subtitles are no subsitiute for CC based on this alone let alone all the other reason. For examples like background sound, music.

Ohh I just asked Banjo what SDH is and now I see you mention it too. Sheesh you guys sure know a lot more than I do. I am a computer and electronic dummy. Subtitles don't help me since I can hear but am impaired but dammit the subtitles come in a different language. So if I speak English and buy the movie/disc in English speaking then the subtitles are in other languages but not in my spoken english language. Subtitles are no subsitiute for CC based on this alone let alone all the other reason. For examples like background sound, music.

SDH is short for "Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing". It's not the same as regular English subtitles.

SDH is short for "Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing". It's not the same as regular English subtitles.

Thank you for letting me know. I wonder how it's different? The only thing I could think of that might be different would be that it's in the same language the audio or actors, etc are already speaking. That's part of my problem with the Sony blu ray player and the Supernatural dvd's. They don't have subtitles in the same language *sigh*

I miss VHS tapes and the VCR recorders. AT least they would record TV shows with CC as long as the TV and the show had it. Now we have buy the TV shows because we can't record them from the TV on the dvd's like we did with the VHS tapes. The DVR through our Cable Co. will save the shows but we can't save them for very long or keep all the seasons and episodes without running out of space. This is not progress. What good is new technology when we get less and end up paying more and now we don't even get CC. :(

Thank you for letting me know. I wonder how it's different? The only thing I could think of that might be different would be that it's in the same language the audio or actors, etc are already speaking. That's part of my problem with the Sony blu ray player and the Supernatural dvd's. They don't have subtitles in the same language *sigh*

I miss VHS tapes and the VCR recorders. AT least they would record TV shows with CC as long as the TV and the show had it. Now we have buy the TV shows because we can't record them from the TV on the dvd's like we did with the VHS tapes. The DVR through our Cable Co. will save the shows but we can't save them for very long or keep all the seasons and episodes without running out of space. This is not progress. What good is new technology when we get less and end up paying more and now we don't even get CC. :(

SDH is supposed to feature the same type of information (dialogues, sounds, etc) as the CC. It's just a different technology, that's all.

SDH is better than CC. I don't like CC anymore. Sometime CC blocks the picture from your view.

Banjo so then I could purchase the Supernatural discs in Blu Ray and get something like CC only called SDH. So then am I to understand I would then need a blu ray player, right? My problem with the Sony blu ray was that it didn't have English subtitles but since SDH is for the dear and hearing impaired then it might work out for me.

I called verizon fios about their media manager and found out they don't have CC for downloaded movies/tv on my PC. I'm getting confused here and kind of in a pickle. I have all these discs and no DVD player with SDH or CC and no Blu Ray player with SDH or CC. Now I'm too afraid to get series 4 and 5 with series 4 being one of the best of Supernatural because I can't find a blu ray player with right subtitles/CC in English. Now I find SDH might be an option but is it in my language? Sheesh.

I'll check with best buy tomorrow and see what I can find out.

SDH is better than CC. I don't like CC anymore. Sometime CC blocks the picture from your view.

I noticed that too but it's usually when they have the names of the stars, guest stars in the beginning.

I would get my movies, etc downloaded on my PC if I weren't afraid of losing them when my computer dies out on me. I know back up everything. Well I did that on my firelite and ended up backing up the bot that killed my puter and I lost my puzzle game cause I lost the darn printed out receipt proving I paid for it. If I didn't want any of my Brothers to see what's on my puter I would ask one of them to help me here.

Back