Banned in Philadelphia! Texting While Walking

Its about paying attention to your surroundings and giving common curtsey to others. If you're texting while walking and not paying attention, you could run into another person, a pole, walk into traffic causing an accident, or not be aware that someone is following you. It's just as much about safety as it is about being respectful of others and being alert to your surroundings. I remember when it was common for two people passing each other on the sidewalk to at least acknowledge each other by exchanging nods of the head and making eye contact. If it was someone you knew, you made a point to at least say 'Hello', even if that person is/was an adversary.

Don't you even remember as children if you were not paying attention, your mother would scold you, saying "Watch where you are going! Pay attention!" Well apparently some people never learned this lesson as children so now the police are having to play 'babysitter' and begin issuing citations to get people to pay attention. There is a world beyond a screen, it's known as 'reality'.

I personally find it annoying when two friends are sitting in a room and are texting each other rather than having an open face-to-face discussion. Makes me want to rip their phones out from between their thumbs. We have only replaced NES and SNES game controllers with cell phones in this generation.

Here's something to ponder: What did the generation before me do with their thumbs? Did they twittle them?

But where does this end? I see people walking in the park while reading a book, should there be a law against this too? The government will be taking control over our life's before we know it!

they should issue govt to press on mobile makers to slap on warnign stickers' WARNING WALKING OR DRIVING WHILE IS DANGEROUS" they would reduce Mobile phones sales, and reduce the amount of microwave towers which are actually hazarderous to our health, and to make mobile phones less pretty to buy

i thnk half of it is bought on account of how pretty and slicky they feel as toys

Isn't it ironic that smart phones make people stupid? :hmm:

Isn't it ironic that smart phones make people stupid? :hmm:

I saw some guy texting while driving today! He was trying to hide that he was doing it but I saw him with his head down for a few seconds then he looked up
at the road! Now that is dangerous! Plus a lot kids ride their bikes on this street and with school being out it a bigger risk!

We should never text while walking - a deaf girl was killed by train while she was texting while walking.

I would bet this law has more to do with texting in certain situations, like walking along a train track (really, nobody should be doing that period), crossing a street, walking along a busy street, through a parking lot, etc. It's not an issue if a street is wide enough with few cars and plenty of space on the sides, or walking through a park or on campus, etc.

Texting8.jpg

$50 fine: Texting while walking in Idaho. $50 fine: Texting while walking- MSN Money

Laws that forbid texting while driving are as common as a :) on your cellphone, but Rexburg, a small college town in southeastern Idaho, may be the first place to also ban texting while walking.

Officially, only texting while crossing a street is illegal. Which raises a question: If you are so engrossed in texting that you fail to notice that a bright-red 4,000-pound pickup is bearing down on you at 35 mph, how likely is it that you would realize you have left the sidewalk and entered the street?

OK, the real question is whether such a law is even needed. According to reports, there have been no accidents, just a few "close calls," in Rexburg, mostly near the campus of Brigham Young University-Idaho.

While there is no data available on the dangers of texting while walking, a 2010 study by the Highway Loss Data Institute showed that texting-while-drivin​g bans actually appear to increase the number of crashes.

"Texting bans haven't reduced crashes at all," Adrian Lund, president of the HLDI and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, said in a news release. "In a perverse twist, crashes increased in three of the four states we studied after bans were enacted. Post continues after video.

"Texting bans haven't reduced crashes at all," Adrian Lund, president of the HLDI and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, said in a news release. "In a perverse twist, crashes increased in three of the four states we studied after bans were enacted. Post continues after video.

I would be leery of that. Every year, we use mobile more so I would think the accidents would continue to increase.

OK what if two deaf people are signing to one another and not looking where they're walking should you get a fine for this too!

Last edited:
OK what if two deaf people are signing to one another and not looking where they're walking should you get a fine for this two!

Actually, we are extra careful when chatting while walking. But if you have already noticed, hearing people are just as bad, if not worse, when it comes to moving aside when someone wants to walk faster and pass them.

WDYS?: You're getting WAAAAAY off base here. You go from one extreme to the other. Please, take the time to carefully read the entire article and think about the content and information being presented before making a comment.

These bans are for the safety of the pedestrian as well as for the the people in the vehicles. I can see a truck driver slamming on his breaks to avoid hitting a pedestrian that's so engrossed in her texting that she doesn't look to see if it is safe to cross, she just assumes that the drivers see her. Well, this causes a major pile up as one car slams into the truck, then another car slams into the car that slammed into the truck and so on like a domino effect. Those in the vehicles now may have injuries related to trying to AVOID hurting the pedestrian. The girl, being so engrossed and self-centered shouts 'I was nearly hit by a truck driver!' When the reality is, she never looked up from her phone to check to make sure the street was safe to cross. If she had looked up, she would have seen the truck and thus would have made the decision to NOT cross the street at that time and waited until it was safe to cross the street.

This is to protect drivers from such people. If there is an accident and several witnesses can and will testify that the pedestrian was in fact texting and not being alert to their surroundings, the pedestrian will be found at fault as the driver was paying attention and tried as best he could to avoid an accident in which the pedestrian might have been killed, but instead it turned out to be a 3 car pileup, with the driver of the middle car sustaining injuries that required medical attention.

It also stops frivolous lawsuits. Remember the girl that was texting and did a faceplant into the fountain at a mall? She then turned around and tried to sue the mall for sharing the event (which occurred in a public place) on the Internet and that the mall janitor did not help her, when in fact, he could be seen asking if she was OK just as she was frantically pulling herself out of the fountain and running off. It's all there in plain sight - the woman simply did not watch where she was going, she did not use good judgement in preventing herself from being in the situation she found herself in. It's funny and stupid at her own expense. Can you imagine someone running into a pole on the sidewalk and breaking their nose because they were too busy texting to look up and notice the pole? They turn around and sue the city for damages because they 'suffered a broken nose from a light pole which was placed by the city on a sidewalk some 30 years prior to the incident, which now poses a safety risk.' Does it sound stupid? Yes it does. Why? Because IT IS stupid.

This ban is to make sure things like the two mentioned above don't happen because it's a crazy world out there, and they have to keep their bases covered. Such a ban, places the blame of such incidents squarely on the shoulders of those responsible for them in the first place.

Wirelessly posted

I think it's a money maker. I agree, need to pay attention to your surroundings to avoid accidents like FF said a woman falling into the fountain at the mall or other dangerous spots. There's a place and time to use text and not go overboard with this one.

I agree that this is a money maker! The government is always thinking of more ways to get our money! There was talks of having a 'cow tax' in my state!
The state said when cows fart it give of gas that bad for the environment and farmers would have to pay taxes on every cow! The farmers protested and the law was not passed. Some people give off more deadly fart than cows!

WDYS?: You're getting WAAAAAY off base here. You go from one extreme to the other. Please, take the time to carefully read the entire article and think about the content and information being presented before making a comment.

These bans are for the safety of the pedestrian as well as for the the people in the vehicles. I can see a truck driver slamming on his breaks to avoid hitting a pedestrian that's so engrossed in her texting that she doesn't look to see if it is safe to cross, she just assumes that the drivers see her. Well, this causes a major pile up as one car slams into the truck, then another car slams into the car that slammed into the truck and so on like a domino effect. Those in the vehicles now may have injuries related to trying to AVOID hurting the pedestrian. The girl, being so engrossed and self-centered shouts 'I was nearly hit by a truck driver!' When the reality is, she never looked up from her phone to check to make sure the street was safe to cross. If she had looked up, she would have seen the truck and thus would have made the decision to NOT cross the street at that time and waited until it was safe to cross the street.

This is to protect drivers from such people. If there is an accident and several witnesses can and will testify that the pedestrian was in fact texting and not being alert to their surroundings, the pedestrian will be found at fault as the driver was paying attention and tried as best he could to avoid an accident in which the pedestrian might have been killed, but instead it turned out to be a 3 car pileup, with the driver of the middle car sustaining injuries that required medical attention.

It also stops frivolous lawsuits. Remember the girl that was texting and did a faceplant into the fountain at a mall? She then turned around and tried to sue the mall for sharing the event (which occurred in a public place) on the Internet and that the mall janitor did not help her, when in fact, he could be seen asking if she was OK just as she was frantically pulling herself out of the fountain and running off. It's all there in plain sight - the woman simply did not watch where she was going, she did not use good judgement in preventing herself from being in the situation she found herself in. It's funny and stupid at her own expense. Can you imagine someone running into a pole on the sidewalk and breaking their nose because they were too busy texting to look up and notice the pole? They turn around and sue the city for damages because they 'suffered a broken nose from a light pole which was placed by the city on a sidewalk some 30 years prior to the incident, which now poses a safety risk.' Does it sound stupid? Yes it does. Why? Because IT IS stupid.

This ban is to make sure things like the two mentioned above don't happen because it's a crazy world out there, and they have to keep their bases covered. Such a ban, places the blame of such incidents squarely on the shoulders of those responsible for them in the first place.

I do not text and I do not a cell phone so I do not understand why people get so engrossed in texting. My argument is where you draw the line when it come to state fining you for every thing we do! If you smoke in car with your baby in it you get can get a fine, please do not tell how bad smoking it for babies , I know all that. But what about when the parents are home they are going to smoke around the baby too. It seen like the state hired someone to think of ways to come up with fines to get our money.

Actually, we are extra careful when chatting while walking. But if you have already noticed, hearing people are just as bad, if not worse, when it comes to moving aside when someone wants to walk faster and pass them.

I use deaf people signing as the cops could say they where 'reading' while walking. I mean the state could make some crazy reason to fine people for signing . I am not saying deaf people are less careful than hearing people.
If my state could come up with a 'cow' tax anything give!

Back