Medical interpreting

honeybunny526

Reaction score
I am interested in a Deaf persons views and experience with medical interpreting. Here are some questions I am and please add anything else. Thank you

1) what was the setting. Heat problem, dental, physical check up, emergency room
2) what was the nurses/ doctors reaction to the interpreter?
3) who made the introduction in this appointment
4) how did you the patient feel about the interpreter
5) have you ever went to a doctors appointment without an interpreter? How was it?
6) do you prefer to have an interpreter if yes why?
7) how long do you have to wait for an interpreter to arrive to an appointment?
8) where instructions about you medications clear from the interpreter?

Thank you

If you're going to be a professional interpreter you might want to work on your English skills a bit. :whistle:

Thats strange.. that is quite a loots of questions while you have less than a year to go.

No need for insults. The questions are for a lab for my class. The questions are from my teacher.

Whats disappointing is the fact that people would rather be nasty and mean and insult someone instead of helping them. There is an old saying if you dont have anything nice to say than dont say anything. I feel bad for people that need to insult others to make themselves feel better

I was trying to help. I'm sorry that you can't take constructive criticism. In that case, you might find a career in interpreting (especially with adults) a little rough to handle. In case you haven't been taught, when a client says/signs anything crossways to you, you can't respond--you have to suck it up.

It's a good idea to start developing that tough shell, humility, and a sense of humor now. It's part of interpreter survival. :D

That wasn't constructive criticism. And im doing a school project. Your comments where unnecessary and had nothing to do with anything that I asked. God forbid you ever miss spell a word or make a grammatical mistake. Seriously I asked questions for a school report.

That wasn't constructive criticism. And im doing a school project. Your comments where unnecessary and had nothing to do with anything that I asked. God forbid you ever miss spell a word or make a grammatical mistake. Seriously I asked questions for a school report.

You misspelled a great many words in your first post here.

It really is important to do it correctly when you are interpreting as meanings can be completely changed.

Reba was really rather gentle in what she said.

Im just doing a project for school im not interpreting im on a public forum my misspelled words didnt hurt anyone. What os the problem. The whistle comment wasn't constructive criticism. There was no need for any of it. And still people would rather comment on spelling. Truley sad...

Im just doing a project for school im not interpreting im on a public forum my misspelled words didnt hurt anyone. What os the problem. The whistle comment wasn't constructive criticism. There was no need for any of it. And still people would rather comment on spelling. Truley sad...

I think you can't see what a bad impression this makes.

If I knew the extent of English language knowledge seemed to by truly lacking, I would specifically request not to have that interpreter.

Just trying to help you make that leap from defensive self-focused student to successful professional. If you don't want to make that leap, it's up to you.

Isn't it for a college course?

BTW, you'll find out what happens when you misspell a Deaf client's name, or an important address or date, or a medicine. Also, you'll find out what happens if your grammatical mistake results in incorrect prescription directions or a missed follow-up appointment.

I'm sure your interpreting instructor has also taught you that the way you present yourself does reflect upon your Deaf client. It's not right or fair but it does. Some hearing people (especially those with infrequent contact with deaf people) will judge the Deaf client based partly on their opinion of the interpreter's presentation.

If you can't set aside your personal sensitivities, I don't know how you'll survive the slings and arrows of the interpreting world.

Lol. Pathetic
OK, you can slam me all you want but you're really going to be in trouble if you don't respect future clients.

You came here asking for opinions (via a canned survey) but when you get the real thing you dismiss it.

You do realize this has nothing to do with interpreting like I said before. I simply asked a few questions for a Deaf person to answer. I am not in a interpreting setting. Im writing through a phone im not speaking or miss spelling anyone's name. I didnt ask anyone to nitpick at my typos I asked for help with a school project and you completely took it to another level and now say you are trying to guide me we both know the dig you threw at me in the beginning was no such thing.

Back