American sign language classes offered

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN

Registration is underway for a full array of community education classes including conversational American Sign Language through the League for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Nashville.

"Our most popular class is the conversational American Sign Language," said Laurie A. Cribb, league senior staff interpreter.

"People learn American Sign Language (ASL) for many reasons — a need to communicate with someone who is deaf, exploring something fun to do or simply trying something new."

ASL is the language of the deaf. It is not a manual code or translation of English words. Rather, it is considered a language unto itself.

Sign language classes will be offered this fall in Clarksville, and include:

* Level 1 — Introduction to ASL, deaf culture, deaf history, equipment and devices. 5:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays Aug. 14-Oct. 2 (registration through July 27) at Greenwood Complex, 430 Greenwood Ave.; and Mondays and Wednesdays Sept. 5-Oct. 24 (registration Aug. 1-Aug. 17) at United Way of Greater Clarksville, 1300 Madison St.

* Level 2 — Continuation of ASL grammar and vocabulary, deaf culture, and conversation practice. 5:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays Oct. 9-Nov. 29 (registration Aug. 24-Sept. 14) at Greenwood Complex, 430 Greenwood Ave.; 5:30-7:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays Oct. 29-Dec. 17 (registration Sept. 24-Oct. 10) at United Way of Greater Clarksville, 1300 Madison St.

Cost is $150 for Level 1 and includes instruction, book, DVD or video, and $85 for Level 2.

For more information about classes or to schedule a free deaf awareness presentation, contact the league at 615-248-8828 (V/TTY) or visit League for the Deaf & Hard of Hearing | Upgrade Flash Player.

Very interesting, but I'm in Tallahassee, FL and I plan to relocate to Orlando Florida (to Valencia Community College since Tallahassee Community College doesn't have ASL classes :().

The subject seems too broad for me, though. Not trying to police the forum but it seems the main idea of the subject is "ASL Classes Offered in Clarksville, TN by The Leaf Chronocle."

Back