Renaissance Faires

deafdrummer

Reaction score
Who here likes to go to renaissance faires?

I do! I would love to dress up, but all I wore for this weekend at Sherwood Forest Festival Just outside of Austin were my custom-made rennie boots, the four-button ones. I was camped out with my clan in my Jeep Sleeper at the campground next to it, where the faire is accessed through the rear entrance. I bought two Cameleon dresses so that I can wear them together as top/bottom sets. I also bought a pair of Nativearth go-go slide shoes to be my new house shoes for the next, what, 20-25 years. It was an awesome weekend because I reconnected with friends on a deeper level, met many new friends (through playing my didgeridoo for them), AND I landed an apprenticeship in making chainmaille! Depending on how things work out, I may also have a wood-working apprenticeship later this year. I was at faire from Friday to Monday morning. We had over 1,000 campers at the campground! On Saturday, we had over 7,000 people! Best day ever!

Anyway, when I left for faire, I went with the goal of finding how I could get into the rennie circuit, as I have wanted to leave behind the modern world as much as I can. A friend in my clan had cautioned me about jumping in unprepared and suggested instead becoming an apprentice in something so that I could do this at home and go to faire when I want, not when I have to. Chainmaille is becoming very popular outside the Realm, especially in BDSM and fetish circles. I had been looking for skills and crafts that I could use at a basic level with minimal capital investment. I'm supposed to start mid-next month. I'm very excited about this! This goes towards my goal of leaving apartment living in Houston by end-of-September and someday leaving behind my part-time job.

Huzzah!

Who here likes to go to renaissance faires?

I do! I would love to dress up, but all I wore for this weekend at Sherwood Forest Festival Just outside of Austin were my custom-made rennie boots, the four-button ones. I was camped out with my clan in my Jeep Sleeper at the campground next to it, where the faire is accessed through the rear entrance. I bought two Cameleon dresses so that I can wear them together as top/bottom sets. I also bought a pair of Nativearth go-go slide shoes to be my new house shoes for the next, what, 20-25 years. It was an awesome weekend because I reconnected with friends on a deeper level, met many new friends (through playing my didgeridoo for them), AND I landed an apprenticeship in making chainmaille! Depending on how things work out, I may also have a wood-working apprenticeship later this year. I was at faire from Friday to Monday morning. We had over 1,000 campers at the campground! On Saturday, we had over 7,000 people! Best day ever!

Anyway, when I left for faire, I went with the goal of finding how I could get into the rennie circuit, as I have wanted to leave behind the modern world as much as I can. A friend in my clan had cautioned me about jumping in unprepared and suggested instead becoming an apprentice in something so that I could do this at home and go to faire when I want, not when I have to. Chainmaille is becoming very popular outside the Realm, especially in BDSM and fetish circles. I had been looking for skills and crafts that I could use at a basic level with minimal capital investment. I'm supposed to start mid-next month. I'm very excited about this! This goes towards my goal of leaving apartment living in Houston by end-of-September and someday leaving behind my part-time job.

Huzzah!

Great news. I can't imagine making chainmail myself...it's long hours of boring repetitive work :P eight to ten hours of constant hammering :P anyway good luck, hope to see some of your designs online somewhere :)

I haven't been to any Renaissance Faires but every year we attend the Scottish Games and Gathering of the Clans in Charleston. Several of the vendors for both venues show up there. (Clothing, knives and swords, musical instruments, etc.) Hubby wears his kilt and I wear a long "peasant' skirt. I have a more traditional outfit with the laced bodice and long sleeves but Charleston in September is way too hot for me to wear it. Hubby wears his Utilikilt, not his formal outfit, so he wears a t-shirt with that.

I think one of our ADers was a blacksmith or iron forger who travelled to the fairs and such to demonstrate his skills and wares. My mind's gone blank at the moment to remember exactly.

I have been to Renaissance Faires in the hills about 45 minutes drive from my home several times....

We have a very large Renaissance Fair here in MN every late summer. Runs about 6 weeks, I think. Pretty cool. Monster turkey drumsticks, giant jugs of beer, etc. I haven't gone in about 10 years, though.

Back