You use that for WHAT?

LoveBlue

Reaction score
I use a rotating desk organizer on my night stand to hold my reading glasses, pens, my cellphone, my HAs at night, post-it pads and other things.

I've used backscratchers to reach things in small spaces.

I use a decorative toothpaste/toothbrush holder in my bathroom to hold another pair of reading glasses and cuticle sticks. I use another decorative toothbrush holder to hold my tweezers, tiny scissors and nail file.

How do you use things for totally different purposes?

I'm a guy; I have used most everything in my toolbox, and kitchen utensil drawer, for something other than the intended purpose.

I use the matching cup in the bathroom for my comb & the matching soap dish for my nail clippers & when my hair was long, my barrettes & bobby pins.

I saved those pretty plastic q-tip containers for bobby pins, hair pins, etc....I also saved my Cocktiels plastic jars of seed, the boys use them for their piggy banks...I also have a Folger's Coffee Can on my desk, it's plastic, that I use for my pens, pencils, etc. :giggle:...feel sure there's a lot more around the house. I also saved the Lemonade plastic containers (the lids) for cocktiel treats....

I use glass jars or medicnce vials to hold my beads when I run out of tomato sauce or pills. I also use tin cans to hold my pens and pencils on my desk and it give a modern look to my desk.

I'm using my 42" TV for my computer instead of a 18" monitor. Then I ripped off the shelves off my desk and nailed it to the wall behind the TV. Now I have my own lovely man cave!

We use the jars from spaghetti sauce for iced tea stock in the fridge and lemonade stock also. I use metal coffee cans, (4 of the same size) to raise my table up to cut fabric for sewing. I have taken the box from a Whitman's sampler of chocolates and covered with craft paper and made a charging station for son and one for daughter for their cell phones, MP3 players and digital camera. Purple for her, dark green for him. I use the plastic tubs from the hospital for bathroom supplies (we have no cabinet). I use a metal file rack for file folders and stack the lids for my pots and pans in them. Mother and I use empty, clean parm cheese shakers for our knitting supplies (snips, tapestry needle, crochet hook, needle sizer and row/stitch gauge and measuring tape as well as cable hooks).

Have to think of the other things.

We use the jars from spaghetti sauce for iced tea stock in the fridge and lemonade stock also. I use metal coffee cans, (4 of the same size) to raise my table up to cut fabric for sewing. I have taken the box from a Whitman's sampler of chocolates and covered with craft paper and made a charging station for son and one for daughter for their cell phones, MP3 players and digital camera. Purple for her, dark green for him. I use the plastic tubs from the hospital for bathroom supplies (we have no cabinet). I use a metal file rack for file folders and stack the lids for my pots and pans in them. Mother and I use empty, clean parm cheese shakers for our knitting supplies (snips, tapestry needle, crochet hook, needle sizer and row/stitch gauge and measuring tape as well as cable hooks).

Have to think of the other things.

The common thing around here to raise a table to a custom height is PVC pipe cut to length needed to raise table to height needed.

The common thing around here to raise a table to a custom height is PVC pipe cut to length needed to raise table to height needed.

Ah - but I would have to buy that. We have the coffee cans left over from having coffee. I also cover them with fabric. The lid protects the floor from scratching and I put some gripper stuff to keep them from sliding.

One of the gals in my "Blankets of Love" (started as a Project Linus group but we dropped association with them as we had requests for different sizes etc.) came with small supplies in plastic containers that some Gerber's baby food comes in. She got them from her daughter who had them from buying the food for her daughter. The gal that first brought them has since shared with several of us. I at one point wanted more and bought pudding, eat the pudding and saved the containers!

I have purchased Lunchables I believe that they are called for the sections of the tray. I did eat the food that comes in them but when the sections are cut apart they are a good size for the icing of powered sugar, water and food color that I mix up to paint cookies and they have no ridges. Then I store them in the Gerber containers that have snap on lids to keep the icing from drying out.

I use a 12 can cooler bag (intended for soda or beer cans) for a DSLR and accessories. Got the idea from the office manager at our church camp who used a smaller one for a point & shoot camera. I figured that if it was intended to keep the water from ice used to cool the drinks in it would keep rain out. I have since gotten caught in some downpours and it kept my equipment completely dry!

That is all I can think of at the moment but may be back with other ideas.

Ah - but I would have to buy that. We have the coffee cans left over from having coffee. I also cover them with fabric. The lid protects the floor from scratching and I put some gripper stuff to keep them from sliding.

The common use for small coffee cans (originally 1lb. not sure what the current weight is as I don't drink coffee) by a women's group that I am a member of at my church is to decorate them at Christmas and use them to put cookies in for shut-ins or those not up to baking. I enjoy doing decorating but always have to bum a can from someone else. Have been known decorate for others using computer printer.

Ah, here's another. I use the oatmeal canister from a large canister of oatmeal and cut a slot in the plastic lid and put a large roll (25 yards) or waistband elastic in it. I make PJ pants for 4 in the house and need a lot of it. Now, I will be working on a bunch of skirts.

I'm using my 42" TV for my computer instead of a 18" monitor. Then I ripped off the shelves off my desk and nailed it to the wall behind the TV. Now I have my own lovely man cave!

I did the opposite. I use a 27" LCD computer monitor for a TV, which works because we only use Netflix and the free version of Hulu anyway.

More computer fun: I use a 0.8-sone (read: quieter than most computers) ventillation fan to cool a server in my laundry closet. I took out the blowers from the server and rigged it with the ventillation fan using a dryer hose.

Ah, here's another. I use the oatmeal canister from a large canister of oatmeal and cut a slot in the plastic lid and put a large roll (25 yards) or waistband elastic in it. I make PJ pants for 4 in the house and need a lot of it. Now, I will be working on a bunch of skirts.

I don't like the way elastic stretches out over time. Happen to get some purchased pants that had a cord in the waist as well and found I like the cord. So . . . replaced some stretched out elastic in others with a cord and like it fine. Then could not find cord by the yard and tried athletic shoelace cutting the plastic end off after threading in through casing. It is working fine.

I don't like the way elastic stretches out over time. Happen to get some purchased pants that had a cord in the waist as well and found I like the cord. So . . . replaced some stretched out elastic in others with a cord and like it fine. Then could not find cord by the yard and tried athletic shoelace cutting the plastic end off after threading in through casing. It is working fine.

Well - for the PJ's I use lightweight fabric and with the wear of them, the fabric wears out faster than the elastic. Each kid (hubby included) has 7 pair. Guys are all long and daughter has 3 different lengths and I have all short.

We have an issue with the cord in pants around here. It's called, they never use them and then they get lost in the washer.

Okay, before this becomes a sewing thread, let me get back on track.

I have taken a spool from adding machine tape and attached it to a spare piece of wood cut from a 4X4 post (not treated lumber). I put the gripper stuff on the bottom and covered it with craft paper and felt. The tube is the perfect size for glue stick for my home school projects and card making.

I unbend paperclips and use them to get the ear wax out of my earmolds/tubes.

I unbend paperclips and use them to get the ear wax out of my earmolds/tubes.

same but prefer to use baby pin since it's thinner. disinfect it first though.

I do repurpose things. I have used coffee cans (lead free!) to bake brown bread, made cookie and biscuit cutters from sauce cans, put a ball of yarn in a large coffee can so it doesn't roll about while I knit. I make shirts and jammies and aprons from my husband's old dress style shirts and the cutest "britches" from his cast off printed tees. I make rice socks for aches and pains from the solitary sock pile and don't forget that one sock makes lovely dusting mits and wash cloths. Simply drop a bar of soap into the inside-out sock and it makes a useful wash mitt. Hmm, think maybe I am a tightwad? You should. I used to subscribe to The Tightwad Gazette back in the day. It was great. Lol - I have an autographed copy of the book.

I use a baking rack (meant for setting cookies out to cool) under my laptop to keep it from overheating.

Back