Cochlearwar.com

look who owns it - Matthew S. Moore

check out the company web site.Company Background

Taken from the page:
Let it be said right away that we have no objection whatever to deaf teenagers and adults who choose cochlear implants for themselves. They’re making their own decisions, understand the risks involved, and undergo the surgery and post-surgical process voluntarily. We do not summarily reject these people, nor do we consider them "hearing wannabees" or defectors trying to deny their deafness. We count some of them among our friends. Those who choose to reject the Deaf community, or who deny any affiliation with it, are doing so of their own free will. That’s fine with us.

I do take objection to a sit like this. Sorry not getting into it again. I will say this I support the children and parents. Things like this just drive parents away from good deaf resources like this site instead of unity, we get division. Fear is not the best way to promote anything.

OUR PERSONAL FEELINGS

We don’t believe that a cochlear implant should be installed in prelingually deaf babies and young children. If a child already has experience in hearing and speech before losing her hearing, and has become profoundly deaf as a result of sickness or trauma after learning how to speak, or was born hard-of-hearing but lost her hearing gradually, we have no objection to the implant, because the child is simply reconnecting with her previous mode of communication. That child already has a basis for spoken and aural language. An implant will enable the child to build on the existing foundation.

If, however, the deaf baby or child is congenitally, profoundly deaf—that is, he has no foundation in aural/spoken language—then we don’t feel that an implant is suitable. It causes sensory confusion. Deaf children are, and should be allowed to be, visual—not auditory—learners.

I don’t believe that you can make a born-deaf child comprehend sounds any more than you can make a born-blind child appreciate colors. A child who is born profoundly, bilaterally deaf has no real concept of sound—let alone speech. It’s alien. And the CI isn’t going to magically unscramble this. It is far better to give such a child immediate access to sign language, and use that as a foundation from which to proceed. The next step is to teach the child to read and write. The speech/speechreading training can follow. Speech and aural training should not be the primary focus of a deaf child’s education.

another part taken from the web site

OUR PERSONAL FEELINGS

We don’t believe that a cochlear implant should be installed in prelingually deaf babies and young children. If a child already has experience in hearing and speech before losing her hearing, and has become profoundly deaf as a result of sickness or trauma after learning how to speak, or was born hard-of-hearing but lost her hearing gradually, we have no objection to the implant, because the child is simply reconnecting with her previous mode of communication. That child already has a basis for spoken and aural language. An implant will enable the child to build on the existing foundation.

If, however, the deaf baby or child is congenitally, profoundly deaf—that is, he has no foundation in aural/spoken language—then we don’t feel that an implant is suitable. It causes sensory confusion. Deaf children are, and should be allowed to be, visual—not auditory—learners.

I don’t believe that you can make a born-deaf child comprehend sounds any more than you can make a born-blind child appreciate colors. A child who is born profoundly, bilaterally deaf has no real concept of sound—let alone speech. It’s alien. And the CI isn’t going to magically unscramble this. It is far better to give such a child immediate access to sign language, and use that as a foundation from which to proceed. The next step is to teach the child to read and write. The speech/speechreading training can follow. Speech and aural training should not be the primary focus of a deaf child’s education.

another part taken from the web site

That is what I base my teaching philosophy on. I believe strongly in this approach. However, as for babies being implanted, it is none of my business so I have no opinion on that..just only concerns that's all.

Just found thru internet. Thought to share here:

Welcome to the Cochlear War homepage

This has be posted many times...

Thanks, but no thanks. Have you see the forums? There's like 43 posts of the entire forum.

Lately, things has touched a nerve between people on HA/Cochlear Implant threads because we are dealing with controversy in education and implantation of children and they share their opinions/facts in detail. That's okay, but sometimes it's just too much.

If you read on the posts about adults being implanted, activated, having surgery...you'll see that everyone would pretty much say, Congrats! Good Luck! etc.

It will die out soon, and then later be brought back. It's always going to happen, but it's nice to see their opinions about certain things. I think it may have gotten to the point where people are having hissy fit over little errors, or picking apart their posts (I'm guilty as well), and it continunes. If it was very serious cat fights going on, then the mods has the ability to close the thread, and they haven't so, it's good to go. :)

Trying to mention Cochlear War is not going to help that. :ty:

This has be posted many times...

Thanks, but no thanks. Have you see the forums? There's like 43 posts of the entire forum.

Lately, things has touched a nerve between people on HA/Cochlear Implant threads because we are dealing with controversy in education and implantation of children and they share their opinions/facts in detail. That's okay, but sometimes it's just too much.

If you read on the posts about adults being implanted, activated, having surgery...you'll see that everyone would pretty much say, Congrats! Good Luck! etc.

It will die out soon, and then later be brought back. It's always going to happen, but it's nice to see their opinions about certain things. I think it may have gotten to the point where people are having hissy fit over little errors, or picking apart their posts (I'm guilty as well), and it continunes. If it was very serious cat fights going on, then the mods has the ability to close the thread, and they haven't so, it's good to go. :)

Trying to mention Cochlear War is not going to help that. :ty:

Well said.

Back