Needing a break from life?

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
On Wednesday, I called in sick from work because I thought I was coming down with the flu.

Turned out I wasnt and I felt alll better by 3PM after sleeping all day (from 9 PM the previous day to 2Pm that day) and now I feel so good today.

However, I probably was burnt out. I got to thinking....I never really have taken a break from my life...my responsiblities.

I am thinking of reserving a gateaway for my husband and I. The last trip we took was to AZ and Las Vegas but we brought our son with us so we had to focus on him.

I cant remember the last time we really took a time-out from our responsibilities.

We have a bad habit of forgetting ourselves but I would liek to make a concentrated effort not to do that.

Is once-a-year getaway good enough or do we need more? We can only answer that ourselves as everyone's needs are different.

However, I am curious about allof you. Whenever you feel burnt out from your lives, what do you do?

Maybe we can help each other with our own experiences, feedbacks, or stories.

On Wednesday, I called in sick from work because I thought I was coming down with the flu.

Turned out I wasnt and I felt alll better by 3PM after sleeping all day (from 9 PM the previous day to 2Pm that day) and now I feel so good today.

However, I probably was burnt out. I got to thinking....I never really have taken a break from my life...my responsiblities.

I am thinking of reserving a gateaway for my husband and I. The last trip we took was to AZ and Las Vegas but we brought our son with us so we had to focus on him.

I cant remember the last time we really took a time-out from our responsibilities.

We have a bad habit of forgetting ourselves but I would like to make a concentrated effort not to do that.

Is once-a-year getaway good enough or do we need more? We can only answer that ourselves as everyone's needs are different.

However, I am curious about allof you. Whenever you feel burnt out from your lives, what do you do?

I've always wondered how you're doing this for so long... :eek3:

what you definitely need is once a week for timeout. a "me-me" time.

I know a handful of people living a busy life like you and they all have one similarity - they avoid having a time-out - a full day of nothingness even though they complain daily about how busy and tired they are.... and that they wished they have a day off but..... here's why they fear taking a time-out. They did not want to sit down with quietness and calmness around... and think about their ugly memory/issue :(

So they busy up their schedule just to not think about it. Everybody's reason for not having a time-out is different but underlying issue is still same. It's a very very deep and profound. I find it fascinating and I would love to know how to get people to cope with it rather than blankly say - "go talk to shrink". So far, I have yielded a small result. I got some of my friends involved in shooting, motorcycling, and hiking. They're more calmer now but underlying issue is still there and I can tell. It still bothers me but.... at least they're little better than before.

You know what's ironic? They are driven by avoiding confronting their issue. That weakness is also their strength. It's what motivates them and drives them. That's why many successful people have troubling personal issue. Ironic, huh?

So it's a big question I ask to myself sometimes - is it ok to "cure" them but by doing that... they will no longer be driven because they're at peace with themselves? :hmm:

Oh OH!!!!!! I know!!!!! Go Vegas December 12! Someone turn 21 that day! Lol

I think a once a year getaways can be enough and if not, go for twice a year :) It's hard for couples to be romantic when all they do is focus on kids, house, bills, etc. A getaway can be an opportunity to just be a couple again, and have fun again, without the worries.

Once a week? I would love to but how? Between my son, his soccer games, his homework, my jobs, and my hubby's jobs? If I do that, I would feel like a neglectful parent or a medicore teacher. It is hard.

dammit...I dont know what happened but I ended up doubling the thread. Mods...pls merge them. Thanks.

My girlfriend and I talk about wanting to get married and have kids. First, we talk about all things that we want to do before we get married and have kids. Then the rest take care of it self. Yeah, everyone needs a break one time now or later.

Oh OH!!!!!! I know!!!!! Go Vegas December 12! Someone turn 21 that day! Lol

No money..once you get a house and a kid or kids...money goes to them instead of you.

We have a bad habit of forgetting ourselves but I would liek to make a concentrated effort not to do that.

I say "All of this will still be here when I get back. I am taking the day to do what I want to do." And then I find something fun and I do it.

what about spending the weekend at a hotel in town? would that be feasible?

Thinking about somewhere in Harpers Ferrry near Frederick, MD during Christmas break. I got some money saved up (minus the $90 I will lose tmw because someone is stealing money from my daughter...lol) so I think I can make reservations now and surprise my hubby. Problem is that he has to make sure that he can get off from work. Weekend are no good because of our 2nd jobs.

Everyone needs a break from life.

Ricky (My Fincee') and I are going to Mexico in two weeks... we so need it as we are so busy with school/work and wedding planning!

I personally think we should take getaway Vacation once a year... or even twice if the money allows it as it will so refreshen our mind and our spirit.

Once a week? I would love to but how? Between my son, his soccer games, his homework, my jobs, and my hubby's jobs? If I do that, I would feel like a neglectful parent or a medicore teacher. It is hard.

exactly. That's how my friends felt. It is ironic that it's why they're so driven to be successful but it is unfortunate that it comes with price.

ironic...

lol @ double threads. I got confused why my post didn't show up in here... and ah! it's in other thread lol

exactly. That's how my friends felt. It is ironic that it's why they're so driven to be successful but it is unfortunate that it comes with price.

ironic...

Problem is that who will watch him every week, who will take over my classes( I dont get more than 3 personal days off a year) and my 2nd job doesnt allow more than 2 times off a year. I was sooo lucky to get 3 straight weekends off in August to go to AZ and then again in Sept to go to my cousin's wedding.

Problem is that who will watch him every week, who will take over my classes( I dont get more than 3 personal days off a year) and my 2nd job doesnt allow more than 2 times off a year. I was sooo lucky to get 3 straight weekends off in August to go to AZ and then again in Sept to go to my cousin's wedding.

your hubby. family member. drop off at friend's. etc.

but it doesn't have to be just you alone. it can be you bringing him to wherever you want to do it together with your son.

your hubby. family member. drop off at friend's. etc.

but it doesn't have to be just you alone. it can be you bringing him to wherever you want to do it together with your son.

I tried that in Las Vegas...it was fun with him but it wasnt the same as a real "gateaway"...we still had responsibiltiies to him.

I wanted to let loose and get wild in Vegas but I couldnt because of my son. His needs came first.

I went to Vegas at least 10 times without kids and this was the first time with a kid. It was a big big big difference. Nothing bad about it but let's say, I wont bring kids with me to Vegas again. Not because Vegas was a "bad" place for them...it was great. I wanted to go crazy and be wild. Next time.

I tried that in Las Vegas...it was fun with him but it wasnt the same as a real "gateaway"...we still had responsibiltiies to him.

I wanted to let loose and get wild in Vegas but I couldnt because of my son. His needs came first.

I went to Vegas at least 10 times without kids and this was the first time with a kid. It was a big big big difference. Nothing bad about it but let's say, I wont bring kids with me to Vegas again. Not because Vegas was a "bad" place for them...it was great. I wanted to go crazy and be wild. Next time.

:naughty:

Uncle Jiro can watch your kid for free but I fear that he will turn into this

Back