What's the most deaf-friendly bank?

Isadora

Reaction score
Hello, I would like to open a checking account but it looks like all of the means to contact a bank in writing are then followed by a phone contact, which is pissing me off. I am looking for a deaf-friendly bank, one that maybe has even chat support.

I tried to open an account with Capital One, started filling my application, then once submit the site said they were unable to verify my identity and to call their toll-free number. I tried.... I even told the lady that I am HoH and I really need lip reading, and asked her if there was any way to have that conversation in writing, like by chat or video. Sadly, I wasn't able to understand her reply. 24 hrs passed, and they haven't yet written me with an alternative contact. Bo-oh!

I wanted to open a checking account with Schwab (which was my top choice, but very complicate to set up, so I tried Capital One first), I just have a simple question regarding the initial deposit through money order. I write the customer service an email asking 2 basic stuff (do you accept USPS money order? which is the minimum amount of the initial deposit?) and the answer was "Hey, call us at this number...."

This is SO FRUSTRATING!!!

If you show up at a local branch you'll get around the phone. I'm with Bank of America and when I opened my account I just went to a local branch and filled out forms yada yada.

^^^ That's what I was thinking too. Wells Fargo is a big name and branches nationwide. They give me excellent customer service every time I'm there.

Yeah, too bad that I am currently in Italy and it's 2013!
I won't be be back in the US for another 1-2 months.

Here in Italy I have two online banks - they don't even have physical branches, I never met them, one of the two has a live chat to answer your issues, as well as phone and e-mail. I can't believe the US are not at that point, yet.

Been with Vystar for many, many years...never had a problem!....BOA and Wells Fargo have gotten a lot of flack where I live tho'....

Trouble with opening a bank account is that they are strict with you showing ID and proof of an baddress. Last time I did it was maybe 8 years ago and I didn't have enough to satisfy the bank. Some places even the post office will requirs ID and proff of where you live.

I don't want ANYONE opening an American bank account while in Italy without providing hard copies of identification. I would suggest you head to the US Consulate and ask them for advice or assistance in making this happen for you if you cannot wait a month or two when you get back to the states.

I have no issues opening bank account with Bank of America online! I can't remember how I did it but it was done though my computer chair.

I love BOA! I now can cash paper check without leaving my living room! Saved me a gallon or two on fuel. And much faster deposit time.

I know it's annoying but they do have a reason for all the security. The problem with live chat is that anyone can pretend to be someone but with the phone, especially with a landline they can at least verify that the phone call is coming from the location.

It's why nowadays if you use the relay service you have to register with them and provide proof of location, etc... because spammers were taking advantage of them by making anonymous calls.

Apps does that, can be used with any smartphones that has built in camera, including Ipad, Ipod, Iphone, any android device with built in camera.

Sign that check in back, then log in online bank, click deposit, then take picture of front N back then select which account you want to deposit check into, and amount. Done, depending on your history, mine is pretty much available right away. Make sure to mark in back "Cancelled" and hold for at least two weeks. You won't want to double cash the same check cause privileges may be revoked or with excessive delay on fund availability.

For more info, check Bank Of America Website.

That's interesting. How's that done?

Thanks everybody for their input. I had my boyfriend call Capital One to complete the application. The lady was very wary about a male calling on behalf of a female. She kept us on hold for 10 mins to ask her supervisor if this was even allowed, etc etc.
She didn't believe a thing we said, I even told her that if I have to apply in person, I will do it at another bank. It was a no-no.

Ok, I will apply in person when I come back to the US. But again, at the first issue, what am I gonna do? Run to the next branch like in Middle Age?!
How do you deal with customer service?!
I see some banks have a DTT number for deaf people, but I also read on this forum that nobody uses DTT anymore. I have never used DTT in my whole life and I think it's outdated technology. But given my experience, it looks like I might need a DTT phone!

You can use the relay services here in the usa. Just have to register your phone number. Since you are italian why not ask the pope?

I tried to register to sprint relay but they said they need:

. A Copy of your Driver's License or State Issued Identification card
. and/or a recent utility bill showing your name and current address

I don't have a driver's license yet, and of course no utility bill. Pretty a catch 22

The online sprint relay? No. You don't need any of that. Even if you did, there are other relay services that don't require any of that.

What is DTT by the way?

Ever think of checking out an italian american asssociation where you plan to move? I think they could be a big help. Guy I work with has had different italian people live with him while they got used to usa life.
I never had to do more than give a phone number and other basic info. Guess you are hitting the wrong spots.
Do you have a smart phone? May find an app for different relay services

Yeah, too bad that I am currently in Italy and it's 2013!
I won't be be back in the US for another 1-2 months.

Here in Italy I have two online banks - they don't even have physical branches, I never met them, one of the two has a live chat to answer your issues, as well as phone and e-mail. I can't believe the US are not at that point, yet.

I checked back and sure enough this post, which is the third reply, makes me think that the OP is originally from the US and trying to get things setup before arriving back here.

Isadora, especially if the impression I got is right, do you have family or other contacts here that could go in at one of the branches of your choice of bank and explain the complete situation and forward the resulting information to you? I mention someone going in in person because so often one thing brings up another. I think it could go quicker that way than say an exchange of emails (although email could well be involved in completing the process).

Hi Jane,

I am Italian by birth and I have always been living in Italy. Last September I received a green card, and I entered in the USA on March 1st. From that date, I became a resident of the USA, I applied and received a SSN, I found a mail forwarding service to use as my address in the USA (in FL) while I am still doing back and fro (it takes a while to plan an intercontinental move).
I was in the US on the first week of March, now I am back in Italy and I plan to visit again the USA on next summer, hoping to stay longer and start browsing for a nice place where to settle.

Currently, I am working as a freelance translator and most of my customers are in the US, so it would be a great plus to open a bank account in the US (since being a resident, now I can open one and I have to pay taxes in the US), and I'd like to do it ASAP.
On my next trip I'd like to get a driving license in Florida (where my US address is) as my Italian license is valid only for 1 month (being a new immigrant/resident of FL) since I became a US resident. Among the documents they require to get a driving license, there is also proofs of residence such as utility bills, so I need a bank account to be able to pay them.

Hi Jane,

I am Italian by birth and I have always been living in Italy. Last September I received a green card, and I entered in the USA on March 1st. From that date, I became a resident of the USA, I applied and received a SSN, I found a mail forwarding service to use as my address in the USA (in FL) while I am still doing back and fro (it takes a while to plan an intercontinental move).
I was in the US on the first week of March, now I am back in Italy and I plan to visit again the USA on next summer, hoping to stay longer and start browsing for a nice place where to settle.

Currently, I am working as a freelance translator and most of my customers are in the US, so it would be a great plus to open a bank account in the US (since being a resident, now I can open one and I have to pay taxes in the US), and I'd like to do it ASAP.
On my next trip I'd like to get a driving license in Florida (where my US address is) as my Italian license is valid only for 1 month (being a new immigrant/resident of FL) since I became a US resident. Among the documents they require to get a driving license, there is also proofs of residence such as utility bills, so I need a bank account to be able to pay them.

I'd like to... once again... suggest you visit your US consulate. I have no doubt they will be able to help point you in the right direction.

I use Bank of America. They're very deaf-friendly - anything they need to read over the phone they will type up to have me approve in the bank in person. Customer service if you walk in is very fast and most of what they need to tell you is typed (or find a friendly bank worker!). As for Italy/travel - my parents both use Bank of America and it's somehow tied with another bank which they use living in China. My Aunt also uses Bank of America and she's a dual Italian/American citizen..... so I think there is definitely a way to use BoA overseas. Sorry I can't be more specific - if you want me to ask them about international Bank of America send me a private message and I'll ask them more details.

Back