What's the most deaf-friendly bank?

Do not use Wells Fargo. They will not accept any phone call thru relay or interpreters.

Sent from my iPad using AllDeaf

Do not use Wells Fargo. They will not accept any phone call thru relay or interpreters.

Can't blame them. They want to talk to YOU, not to 3rd party for security reasons. Some banks offer live chat. Mine does and it's great.

You know Ally Bank? They don't have branch at all, how do customers open their accounts with Ally Bank?

Check Online Banking | CDs | Money Market | Savings and Checking | Ally and see for yourself.

I think the reason some people having trouble opening account, first is spotty history with banks, second if they try to open account using friends home computer or anywhere outside of their own home; the IP address is tied with the physical address and they DO run match and if it does not match, it will trigger blockage.

I watched TV the other time, and it was about Ally Bank, somebody had an interview with Ally bank asking how they manage without branch and why no branch? The answer was rather interesting, without branch means less employees needed to hire, and most are done by automation, and to cut the cost in order to be able to provide free ATM service national-wide, completely free checking, savings accounts.

I opened BOA and Chase bank though online without any issue. Will I do that again? Sure, you can bet on it.

Love that Ally. I do not have issues with that bank so far. Plus, they have Interest Checking which similar to Saving which is awesome. Plus Money Marketing with higher Interest % without penalty fee.

I always go to the bank when opening a new account and deposit money in my account. I find it a lot easier and this way I can see that person is spelling my name and address right , I just show them my driving license . I am not deaf I am HOH but people still have a hard time understanding over the phone. If you open an account over the phone how do deposit money into it? Do you use your credit card ??

I corrected a word. I had to post something

Not Bank of America. They said call on their TTY line and refused to accept in person interpreter. Interpreter tried to explain that if a call is through VP will still be through interpreter.

I just got one of my credit cards cracked last week, and just today, someone cracked my credit union account. Since there are no deaf-friendly banks (in other words, I can be in 15 different states in the course of a year because of the rennie circuit), it looks like what I'm going to do is close out the bank accounts and credit card accounts, and move my cash to traveler's checks and ask my friends for help with big expenses, like engine problems, trailer problems, medical problems (though it looks like I have help through a rennie foundation that helps with medical bills). That way, all my money is with me.

I understand the thing about being broken into, house burning down, etc. I don't suppose there IS a deaf-friendly bank around, still (one who doesn't require the use of TTY landline and accepts internet relay calls).

It still gauls me that banks don't communicate very well with deaf people from a distance. I will not do business with a commercial bank because they are actively part of the Financial Mob that has led us to where we are today.

I forgot one thing - what can I get my SSDI direct deposited into? A check won't help because I move around a lot during the year.

Edit - Oh, never mind... Checks don't exist as of 2013. They have some card to deposit that into.

Last edited:
yes they use 'debit cards' now rather than checks. With that I think you only need to have the card mailed once- they top off the card every month with monthly deposits.

I've never had issues with Bank of America- never really had to directly call as I think I've used either email, the online message center attached to my account or their online chat if I ever had issues.

Don't know what else you can do if you are also trying to avoid issues where your account/cards get hacked or broken into... it's harder these days as so many places rarely do checks and a lot of online places you need some sort of an account or card even.

Wishing you the best of luck.

I have been to my local supermarket three times this busy week and on 2 of those occasions, the person ahead of me wrote a check for her groceries. Was kinda weird seeing that.

Yes, those people with the checks have the right idea. It's slow, yes, but what's the hurry once you have your groceries? I believe that with banks today, you have the ability to cash/deposit checks and have the funds available immediately because it's done electronically now.

Another thing I just did was temporarily block my debit card on my other account so that it's strictly an ATM card and can't be used as a credit card. (that way, it can't be used online, AND if the rat b* manages to make a new card with my number, he has to have my PIN number to complete the debit transaction).

I think I know what happened. Somewhere, while I was in the area shopping for food (25 miles out), someone RFIDed me, because both unrelated accounts got cracked within a week, hence the blocking of my debit card before anymore damage was done, and I'm watching the other credit card very closely.

So, if you do everything online/electronically, consider getting an RFID wallet, container or money holster to carry those cards, AND be careful about where that card gets taken on its way to the register. All these crooks need to do is be within 10 feet of the card to RFID it.

I tried several banks. Citibank was the best until they got out of the banking and went with loans only years ago. Right now I am finding better success with local small bank instead of Corp sized one.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AllDeaf App mobile app

I had planned on getting one of those wallets but haven't due to money issues. Yep checks are still around- My parents (really mom) still use checks and I do too when the need arises (like right now- canceled T-Mobile before I could pay my last bill online oops- so a check it is).

I really like the local bank we have here (in fact I still have an account there but years ago when I was moving around it wasn't viable for me to use in another state so that's why I went with Wells Fargo (since closed) then switched to BOA. A bigger bank seems better for me considering the good possibility of me moving out of state again (we'll see....)

New update on Chase Mobile-- people with Chase accounts can now see their information without ever signing into the mobile app. That's pretty neat, and I like it.

Back