ASL student and blogger

It's not the best approach to join the deaf by calling oneself "deafie." Perhaps the OP is not familiar enough with the deaf community to realize that. I hope that she hangs around here and learns more about deaf/hoh people.

thanks for the input...I have never offended anyone that way before and I wouldnt want to so thanks for the insight.

She love musics, she probably would not want to be deaf.

Are you implying that deaf people do not enjoy music?

BTW, to the OP: Calling yourself a "deafie" when you are clearly not d/Deaf or part of Deaf culture is fairly offensive IMO. It does bother me. "Deafie" is a term of endearment that deaf people use to identify with each other and gain a little bit of empowerment. You'll never hear a deaf person refer to himself as a "hearie" even if he is raised orally and does not use sign language.

I thought that she was kidding when she said that she makes her husband think she's going deaf. If not, I'm kinda creeped out. :hmm:

just take it with an ounce of quirky sense of humor

Are you implying that deaf people do not enjoy music?

BTW, to the OP: Calling yourself a "deafie" when you are clearly not d/Deaf or part of Deaf culture is fairly offensive IMO. It does bother me. "Deafie" is a term of endearment that deaf people use to identify with each other and gain a little bit of empowerment. You'll never hear a deaf person refer to himself as a "hearie" even if he is raised orally and does not use sign language.

good to know! that clears up alot. I want to say thanks again to everyone for the info! So does anyone have suggestions for a new name for my blog???????

sometime to do with ASL would be more appropriate ASL lover or something like that :)

Only if you are totally deaf.

Okay, but not necessarily the case, either. Even profoundly deaf people can still feel bass rhythms and enjoy music and dancing. That doesn't mean that they all do, and that's totally fine, but there is really a myth surrounding deafness and music.

Back