Is it ok to get an used item for Christmas gift??

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
I'm not advocating any of you to go buy an used PS3 or Nintendo Wii for someone.

What I'm saying is I'm interested in getting my girlfriend some old Beatles albums(see pictures). I'm sure you may have gotten something antique or vintage for someone for Christmas. Maybe an old soldier uniform or weathervane....

3 years ago, I had an ex girlfriend that got her brother a tie from Goodwill for her brother. I thought that was kind of rude to get an used tie for her brother. Then again, I recently found a very, very nice used train cookie jar for my girlfriend's Mom. My girlfriend likes it very much and told me that her Mom will like it very much.

What are your thoughts??

I'd say go right ahead with it. My family gives each other gifts like this all the time.

Agreed with above.

It's okay to get antiques as long as they like antiques. I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE antiques for Christmas.

My mom gets me used clothes from thrift shops all the time and I truly don't mind. They're just like brand new clothes, no one would ever know.

There is nothing wrong with giving used items like the one you mentioned. Antiques and vintage items are considered thoughtful gifts. For instance, old LP records. I don't see anything wrong with the idea of buying someone a vintage item if it fits someone's personality.

It's also okay to buy someone an used DVD if it's an out-of-print collector's edition, like Criterion. They just have to be in good shape.

I shop Goodwill and some Thrift Stores all the time....you'd be surprised at the good finds there...even brand-new items....

There are people who are on a very tight budget...and the way I see it...it's not the "gift" you give....it's the "thought" of/for the person....

My boys always need gym shorts and I get good buys there....So, no, I'm not embarrased to buy them if they are clean and in good condition...and I re-wash them twice before they wear them....as all the boys do is roll around in the dirt with them..(football or any other sport)....Even some T-shirts with their favorite band logo on them!...My son was elated when I found one with "The Rolling Stones" on it...I bought it on the spot...$6.

And also, at a very big Thrift Store where I live...white T-shirts (brand new!) are 99 cents!....and with 3 boys, yes I do "scoop them up!"....

I shop Goodwill and some Thrift Stores all the time....you'd be surprised at the good finds there...even brand-new items....

There are people who are on a very tight budget...and the way I see it...it's not the "gift" you give....it's the "thought" of/for the person....

My boys always need gym shorts and I get good buys there....So, no, I'm not embarrased to buy them if they are clean and in good condition...and I re-wash them twice before they wear them....as all the boys do is roll around in the dirt with them..(football or any other sport)....Even some T-shirts with their favorite band logo on them!...My son was elated when I found one with "The Rolling Stones" on it...I bought it on the spot...$6.

And also, at a very big Thrift Store where I live...white T-shirts (brand new!) are 99 cents!....and with 3 boys, yes I do "scoop them up!"....

Right, it's the thought that counts.

Yeah, I saw a Brett Favre Packers jersey at Goodwill few months ago. Go figure.........

buhaha I gave my sister and her husband a set of Southpark DVD sets (like 5 seasons?) that I had. They were wanting to get the sets, so I just gave them mine to give them a good start and they can add the later seasons to the collection. Only watched the DVDs once so, why not? They were appreciative of the DVDs.

My husband gave me a refurbished Garman Nuvi GPS for my car. No problem at all; the warranty is the same as new, and sometimes refurbished ones are even better than new, since they fixed a minor bug in the system or whatever. It was something like $100 cheaper, pretty significant difference in cost.

My husband gave me a refurbished Garman Nuvi GPS for my car. No problem at all; the warranty is the same as new, and sometimes refurbished ones are even better than new, since they fixed a minor bug in the system or whatever. It was something like $100 cheaper, pretty significant difference in cost.

That's how I got my Nook Color on my birthday.

I think if someone thinks about an item that you cherished in the past and remembers than a gift is beautiful. Much nicer than something you'll never use and way more thoughtful!!!

New or used gifts? The direct answer is that it's ambiguous.

It depends on the person you're buying it for. Vintage is fine if you already know they'll like the gift. Personally, I don't really care if it's a used item depending on what it is, some people in our world prefer things new and you generally are expected to follow their preference if they're on your Christmas list.

On the flip side, if I got a used toy for a kid, their parents might not like it if they knew it was used.

I think it depends on what it is and who you're giving it to. I tend to buy new if it's cheap enough, or if the gift is clothes (we don't have any good thrift stores around here, anyways). Antiques or out-of-print stuff? I'd absolutely buy used if the person would be able to appreciate it. Books and DVDs I'd give used if they were in good condition.

It is depend on the items...

Must be in a great/good condition.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. :)

For kids, they cannot tell! :) (my oldest, maybe yes) Kids grow up way too fast! OH LORD! LOL!

I agreed with few others above me! :)

Of course it ok.....

There are only 2 Christmas rules

1) It has to be Holly Jolly

2) Be good for goodness sake
...a)Don't pout
...b)Don't cry
...c)Don't Shout

I'd rather people give well-thought out used gifts to save money, instead of going into debt to buy new gifts.

I'm actually trying to get rid of stuff. I don't want a bunch of stuff cluttering up my space. So something like cookies would be a good gift. It doesn't clutter up my space, but I can store it some place. lol

Back