Other people perspective AGAINST C.I. for the Deaf children

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen this a couple of times, and the vlogger makes some very good points.

I'm sorry but I disagree with this video, first I would like to add it wouldnt matter whether its a hearing aid or a cochlear implants you still have to take it off when you're in the water so this doesn't make any difference and second, the only reason why many deaf people choose to have cochlear implants is because they're no longer benefit these hearing aids, wants to hear more and I don't have anything against that.

The video keep stopping and playing, so I didn't get a chance to view the whole video.

sorry to say I am not against C.I. because Hearing aid don't help much anymore like it used to for me. But I still take it off when I go swimming, shower and go sleep. It just only a part of the C.I. can be removed just like wearing hearing aid. If it was to do harm, it would have been in the news or the newspaper nation wide about the danger of hearing aids or C.I. But I Don't see the proof. Unless the children get mengtisintis shots they are safe with C.I. so without the shot then that when the risks happens. Need to read the health informations before you blame on C.I. :)

I can't see that this video goes against of your viewpoint in this thread, Angel and GarnetTigerMom? My impression is that they say it's nothing wrong with CI itself, but the oral philosophy often used with it, and how it is used to deprive children of language and identity?

I can't see that this video goes against of your viewpoint in this thread, Angel and GarnetTigerMom? My impression is that they say it's nothing wrong with CI itself, but the oral philosophy often used with it, and how it is used to deprive children of language and identity?

Nods. You raise a good point there, Flip.

Very well put!

For some reason the video isn't working for me, Anyone has this problem?

sorry to say I am not against C.I. because Hearing aid don't help much anymore like it used to for me. But I still take it off when I go swimming, shower and go sleep. It just only a part of the C.I. can be removed just like wearing hearing aid. If it was to do harm, it would have been in the news or the newspaper nation wide about the danger of hearing aids or C.I. But I Don't see the proof. Unless the children get mengtisintis shots they are safe with C.I. so without the shot then that when the risks happens. Need to read the health informations before you blame on C.I. :)

good posting

Um Flip? did you read the bottom of my post? I said I did not watch the entire video because it kept stopping and playing. second, I watch the first part of the video where the guy was signing about CI, he was saying he heard his friend telling him that he has to wear a hat when hes goes out in the rain, or can not go swimming.

That's the way I saw it, too, flip. That's why7 I said that he had some good points. Maybe when Angel and GarnetTigerMom have been able to watch the whole video, they will see that, too. They were only to see part of his message.

I'm confused about something - it said edited 2007? They talked about Carter who was the first implantee - so I was thinking the 80's.

I finally got to see the whole thing. I lost out and had to fix it. I noticed a few points.
1. The term hearing impaired was used.
2. Showed a body processor when they were explaining the CIs. Technology has changed
3. At first it talks about natural sound - yes when you first get activated the sound is robotic, but changes. Sounds does not stay like that
4. M.J. Bienvenu - several points upset me
a. compared implants to the Holocaust's
b. robbed of self-esteem
c. failure in hearing world
5. The two parents who were interviewed, the one bill Campbell who has a son in an ASL program did not sign during interview.
6. The other parent brought up that each program said they are the best and in the end the parents have to choose. He also talked about you have to know which way your child is gearing too.

I see it came from the now defunct cable program called 'Deaf Mosaic' - 1985 to 1999. This guy taped it back then and converted it so he can post it. I will get back here later on once my dial-up load it up. It is going to take hours as it is almost 30 minutes long.

Um Flip? did you read the bottom of my post? I said I did not watch the entire video because it kept stopping and playing. second, I watch the first part of the video where the guy was signing about CI, he was saying he heard his friend telling him that he has to wear a hat when hes goes out in the rain, or can not go swimming.

Sure, I noticed you said you did not watch the whole video! Don't take my post as an accusation, I was just curious if perhaps I interpreted the message wrong in this video as I got another impression.

There was different perspectives presented through the clip, with a conclusion in the end. Great clip and almost felt like I was on AD when seeing the arguments :)

I'm sorry but I disagree with this video, first I would like to add it wouldnt matter whether its a hearing aid or a cochlear implants you still have to take it off when you're in the water so this doesn't make any difference and second, the only reason why many deaf people choose to have cochlear implants is because they're no longer benefit these hearing aids, wants to hear more and I don't have anything against that.

The video keep stopping and playing, so I didn't get a chance to view the whole video.

Think about the hearing aid device outside of your body. Imagine cochlear implants inside the body with those innocence Deaf children. They did not ask for it.

I do respect adults who make their own decision. Otherwise, I am very against parents who make their decision for their children. If my parent did this to me when I was 18 months old because they don’t accept me for who I am. I would be piss off at my parents because they did not appreciate what God gave them a beautiful baby healthy and happy baby. I am glad that my parents sent me to Deaf school whole of my life. I started school at my 3 years old, commute home and school everyday.

Medical society is horrible pressure on the parents, they have not any chance second option to meet reality Deaf Community explore first place before they make the right final decision.

Vallee- M.J. Bienvenu - several points upset me

I love M.J. Bienvenu's perspective !!! :D I always enjoyed to seeing her at several at the Deaf conference.

Sure, I noticed you said you did not watch the whole video! Don't take my post as an accusation, I was just curious if perhaps I interpreted the message wrong in this video as I got another impression.

There was different perspectives presented through the clip, with a conclusion in the end. Great clip and almost felt like I was on AD when seeing the arguments :)

Ah, I understand what you mean now, sorry.

Kalista,

I already know where you stand on deaf children with CI, but unfortunately I believe in both parents and individual choice, I'm still uncomfortable seeing babies being implanted, I think they should wait until the child is 2 or 3.

Think about the hearing aid device outside of your body. Imagine cochlear implants inside the body with those innocence Deaf children. They did not ask for it.

I do respect adults who make their own decision. Otherwise, I am very against parents who make their decision for their children. If my parent did this to me when I was 18 months old because they don’t accept me for who I am. I would be piss off at my parents because they did not appreciate what God gave them a beautiful baby healthy and happy baby. I am glad that my parents sent me to Deaf school whole of my life. I started school at my 3 years old, commute home and school everyday.

Medical society is horrible pressure on the parents, they have not any chance second option to meet reality Deaf Community explore first place before they make the right final decision.

Sorry, I mistyped... It should be "exposure language".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back