Should your aged parent quit driving??

Buffalo

Reaction score
This link: Senior Citizen Driving: Warning Signs and Helping an Unsafe Driver to Stop Driving is a good one to read. I had to get my mother to quit driving few years ago. I knew my mother loves to save money on anything. She is that thrifty. I got her to quit when I told her that she could save on money on insurance, registeration and repairs/maintaince and get some cash when she sold her car to my brother. Of course, she got rides from me for shopping, etc.

You might not be aware if your aged parent need to quit driving so check out your parent's driving. My mother was driving rather recklessly but never gotten any tickets so I had to talk her into quiting.

My hubby had to surrender his elderly mother's driving licence as she mistakenly hit the accelerator hard instead of the brakes .... hit a power pole with a very large transformer on top of it! Luckily, no injuries! .... she was very shaken up and was told by the police not to drive again or they would have thrown the book at her.

She caught cabs instead so it worked out well in the end.

How old was she when she quit driving?

I have to agree that old senior citizen shouldn't be driving over 70's because their eyes sights is not that good, tend to drive real slow and impede traffic or even hit someone. They are not young anymore as they used to be and their reflexes can be slow.

it depends on thier health etc my great uncle who passed away in 1997 of age of 98 he drove his 1965 ford fairlane and 1967 ford f-250 till he was 94

This link: Senior Citizen Driving: Warning Signs and Helping an Unsafe Driver to Stop Driving is a good one to read. I had to get my mother to quit driving few years ago. I knew my mother loves to save money on anything. She is that thrifty. I got her to quit when I told her that she could save on money on insurance, registeration and repairs/maintaince and get some cash when she sold her car to my brother. Of course, she got rides from me for shopping, etc.

You might not be aware if your aged parent need to quit driving so check out your parent's driving. My mother was driving rather recklessly but never gotten any tickets so I had to talk her into quiting.

I went through the same thing with my mother several years ago, Buffalo. I convinced her to quit driving after I was riding with her and she ran a stop sign in a place that she was very familiar with and knew the stop sign was there. She hated to give up her independence, though.

it depends on thier health etc my great uncle who passed away in 1997 of age of 98 he drove his 1965 ford fairlane and 1967 ford f-250 till he was 94

Wow! A '65 Ford Fairlane! That brings back memories...my brother had one (3 speed on the column) that I learned to drive in. Wish I had that car now!

I have to agree that old senior citizen shouldn't be driving over 70's because their eyes sights is not that good, tend to drive real slow and impede traffic or even hit someone. They are not young anymore as they used to be and their reflexes can be slow.

I beg to differ. There are a lot of people who are 80 and are still sharp as a tack.

Paul Newman was over 70 when he was racing cars.

Depends on the individuals. but they should be required to take a drivers test again to make sure they are capable of driving safely. I have seen some the still drives and shouldn't be. Some are not only endangering themselves but others as well.

Last year a elderly lady rear ended me while my kids where in the car. She didn't even try to stop. She said she didn't see me stopped on the road to make a left hand turn. She hit me at 45 mph Totaled my Jeep. My kids and I all went to the hospital, got checked out and was OK... but all of us was SORE for days. We all had seat belts on.

i should drive!

i begged my mom many times for drives and my mom dont listen to me what im talking about! but im learn drive from my dad when i was 16 years old.

and i cant drive for years because im seziure that my doctors says NO! i hates that!

mostly old people always drive no matter how long till old about 70-90 years old IF cant drive dues sick,whatevers for more reasons.

i should drive!

i begged my mom many times for drives and my mom dont listen to me what im talking about! but im learn drive from my dad when i was 16 years old.

and i cant drive for years because im seziure that my doctors says NO! i hates that!

mostly old people always drive no matter how long till old about 70-90 years old IF cant drive dues sick,whatevers for more reasons.

If you have seizures then you Should NOT drive. It is not only Dangerous to yourself but it is a danger to others!

I am not allowed to drive at night. I respect that and will never risk mine or anyone else life. I drive in daylight only! which is why I love the daylight savings :) gives me more time after work to do my errands. Other than that Hubby drives me if I have to go somewhere after dark.

It would depend on their well-being.

If they start having problems with their eyesight, have slower responses, easy panic attacks, etc... then I would encourage them to not drive any more.

If they drive like everyone else, then that's fine with me. :)

I know some people who still drive... and they drive 10 to 20 mph below the speed limit. They shouldn't be driving... period!

If you have seizures then you Should NOT drive. It is not only Dangerous to yourself but it is a danger to others!

I am not allowed to drive at night. I respect that and will never risk mine or anyone else life. I drive in daylight only! which is why I love the daylight savings :) gives me more time after work to do my errands. Other than that Hubby drives me if I have to go somewhere after dark.

my parents knew i cant drive because i have sezuire at 12 years old and i told my mom about i wanted drive and my doctor decide cant drive anywhere! i respect doctors.

It would depend on their well-being.

If they start having problems with their eyesight, have slower responses, easy panic attacks, etc... then I would encourage them to not drive any more.

If they drive like everyone else, then that's fine with me. :)

I know some people who still drive... and they drive 10 to 20 mph below the speed limit. They shouldn't be driving... period!

I agree.

That is why I feel elderlies should be tested more. and pass a physical or such to be able to drive.

Buffalo, good article.

I'm currently going through all this with my elderly father who has just had his second crash in 12 months, both of which he cannot see that he was at fault despite being charged for failing to give way and still paid the fine.
He has had his licence suspended for the second time and is adamant that the world is out to get him and that he's gonna prove everyone wrong and get his licence back even though he has just about every problem listed on the checklist of Buffalo's except dementia! It is soooo frustrating! So far the doctors will not give him a medical clearance to even sit the test.

Kangaroo

Buffalo, good article.

I'm currently going through all this with my elderly father who has just had his second crash in 12 months, both of which he cannot see that he was at fault despite being charged for failing to give way and still paid the fine.
He has had his licence suspended for the second time and is adamant that the world is out to get him and that he's gonna prove everyone wrong and get his licence back even though he has just about every problem listed on the checklist of Buffalo's except dementia! It is soooo frustrating! So far the doctors will not give him a medical clearance to even sit the test.

Kangaroo

CRIKEY!! can't believe the doctor won't even give him a medical clearance ... thought the doc would be happy to help you to get your father off the roads permanently. The mind boggles!

Depends on the individuals. but they should be required to take a drivers test again to make sure they are capable of driving safely. I have seen some the still drives and shouldn't be. Some are not only endangering themselves but others as well.

Last year a elderly lady rear ended me while my kids where in the car. She didn't even try to stop. She said she didn't see me stopped on the road to make a left hand turn. She hit me at 45 mph Totaled my Jeep. My kids and I all went to the hospital, got checked out and was OK... but all of us was SORE for days. We all had seat belts on.

OUCH,, I remember an old lady at home depot rear end bumped into my leg while I was walking pass her car and we did not see anyone sitting in the car,, it obviosly she was short person. Geez.

Yep, I agree with you all the way. I also can't drive at night without my glasses on.

I think it's both, teenagers and elderly shouldn't be driving lol. They are a dangerous bunch.

I think person should give it up only when they become dangerous to themselves and to others.

But it's important that we provide them with alternative way if we strip them of licenses, especially for those that don't live in city and don't have family or friends that can help.

I admit I do go below speed limit a little, only during wet weather since I really haven't got over accident that I had a couple months ago.

Since that time, I rarely get mad at other person for driving slow, since I guess those people may have reason for doing so, like I do. I can't believe that I would make a big deal out of it.

Buffalo, good article.

Kangaroo

Tough situation, Kangaroo. But at least the doctor refusing to provide medical clearance takes the responsibility out of everyone else's hands for the time being, including your father's.

Back