Definition of "book learning"

Book Discussion.... hmmm..... definitely not what OP's intention was for this thread. Ya'all should take it to here! :lol:

But at least it is a productive diversion!:lol:

My nephew is a science fiction reader. He even gave up his free period (he's a teacher) to teach a high school course in Science Fiction Literature. Jack McDermott visited his class.

Nice. I don't think I've read any of his books; I've heard the name though. I'm a Robert Jordan fan and I used play on a MUD (Multi User Dungeon; games are like Dungeons and Dragons) that was themed after his Wheel of the Times series. He died last year and before he could finish his series.

I could play a Hand of the Light and try to torture the truth out of Koko. :giggle:

for the record, Hand of Light was a zealous subsection of the Children of the Light that was a quasi-military and religous group based in Amadicia. Hand of the Light followers were very zealous and very rigid in their thinking and they tended to torture the truth out of people. They were like the inquisitors during the Spanish inquisition/

Both! hehe. :laugh2:

Hey Bott, have you read _The Golden Compass_? I haven't, but a friend of mine, who is quite a literati, says Philip Pullman is an amazing writer, regardless of genre or intended audience age.

I'll have to read it..

Yeah, me, too. I would even be satisfied with a whole new series along similar lines.

Lol! People on WOTMUD (wheel of time) were saying the same thing about Robert Jordan's WOT series. There were supposed to be like 13 books in that series and most of them ran about 500 pages long. He died a couple of years ago when writing his 12th book in that series.

I expect people to have graduated from high school to have a basic understanding of English, math, history and science. We learn this information from books. Literature and art are ways that our culture is handed down from generation from generation.

It's ironic that you accused me of using "book learning" as an insult. Both of my parents had their GEDs. Neither one of my parents ever got a college diploma although they were smart. These parents reared an intellectually curious child who went on to earn a doctorate. My mother was a huge influence since she took me to the library regularly. My father was not intellectually-oriented but he was mechanically gifted (a gift that I failed to inherit unfortuntately). I learned a lot of things from my father from home improvement skills to how to fire a gun.

The most important thing that I've learned over the years is to have compassion for other people. People, regardless of their education or class, have the same basic needs. We need to be accepted and to belong to a community. I don't like mean-spiritedness, like making fun of obese people, laughing at someone else's misfortune, or poor people being denied basic human needs. If you look at my posts, you'll see that I always speak up about those things. When a person puts others down to build themselves up it's a sign of insecurity. I feel that being silent when someone cuts another person down is being complicit. That's why I speak out. If it makes me a target as times, so be it.
Koko, this is a forum and staying exactly on topic is unfortunately impossible, particularly for the deaf, who have limited means of communication. I think that Sally's reply was right on target. She said alot more than most folks here at AD and she said it with class. Thankyou Sally!

COMMON SENSE is king. If you do not have that, you have nothing, education be damned.

Often it is necessary for people to get off of their high horse and do some listening and take stock of themselves. This is very much a part of "education", whether it be book learning or benefiting from having multiple degrees.

My father quit school, never even entered high school and he was the smartest man I know. And he left a huge estate.

Both! hehe. :laugh2:

Hey Bott, have you read _The Golden Compass_? I haven't, but a friend of mine, who is quite a literati, says Philip Pullman is an amazing writer, regardless of genre or intended audience age.

Yes I have read them all. They made a movie of one with Nicole Kidman as the villian who was cutting the children apart from their souls, which are animals that are separate and outside the body.

Yes I have read them all. They made a movie of one with Nicole Kidman as the villian who was cutting the children apart from their souls, which are animals that are separate and outside the body.

I really will have to check out those books.

Koko, this is a forum and staying exactly on topic is unfortunately impossible, particularly for the deaf, who have limited means of communication.

Um, excuse me? Did you really just say that? You should know better than that. Quite condescending and pretty much 100% bullshit.

Um, excuse me? Did you really just say that? You should know better than that. Quite condescending and pretty much 100% bullshit.

But they belonged since 2003. And it has been said of me that I am not capable of determining what the topic is. So not necessarily an uncommon view.

Many of us just get stressed and like to go off topic to stop fights.

So, now do we all have to submit documentation to prove our educational backgrounds, certifications, job histories, degree of deafness, country of origin, etc.? Should I submit my DD-214 to prove my military experience? This is ridiculous!

Unless everyone else is willing to prove documentation about themselves, then there is no reason for any one member to do so.

So, now do we all have to submit documentation to prove our educational backgrounds, certifications, job histories, degree of deafness, country of origin, etc.? Should I submit my DD-214 to prove my military experience? This is ridiculous!

Unless everyone else is willing to prove documentation about themselves, then there is no reason for any one member to do so.

It's pretty much the fact of life everywhere else...

But they belonged since 2003. And it has been said of me that I am not capable of determining what the topic is. So not necessarily an uncommon view.

Many of us just get stressed and like to go off topic to stop fights.

Oh I've got no problem with the comment about going off topic. It's the "limited communication" schtick that I got the beef with. And if this poster has been here since 03, she should really know better than to say something like that. Anyway, I'm too tired to really go to bat here, so maybe her comment will just pass unnoticed. But it was F'd up if you ask me.

Oh I've got no problem with the comment about going off topic. It's the "limited communication" schtick that I got the beef with. And if this poster has been here since 03, she should really know better than to say something like that. Anyway, I'm too tired to really go to bat here, so maybe her comment will just pass unnoticed. But it was F'd up if you ask me.

it was.

only when one is making such claim. naturally - that claim would be questioned and verified.

I wouldn't mind.
Since no one could really verify all that documentation, it would be a worthless attempt. If they could verify the documentation, then it would be a tremendous breach of privacy and make everyone vulnerable to identity theft and worse.

kinda like Obama's birth certificate, eh? :lol:

Back