CapTel-capable Cell Phones

GraysonPeddie

Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can we expect CapTel-capable cell phones on the future? The reason I ask is for bypassing relay (great for privacy) abd be able to read and speak. I can't be sure since I may not know if it's possible to do CapTel if I'm in vocation such as Walt Disney World. I like to make quick calls, despite having to call through relay.

Just to mention anyone who wanted to know: CapTel is kind of like VCO (Voice Carry Over) but it bypasses relay on which the speech-to-text synthesis converts voice to text to be read by CapTel phone and you use your voice to speak and your caller will hear your voice.

I know it costs more money to implement CapTel into cell phones but if possible, I could use it to talk to my family members.

You can get one for that through Krown Manufacturing, Inc.

Search for Pocket series (PVCO and PVCO-C) at KrownTTY.com.

It would be cool if they had those using bluetooth so you could link them to your cellphone wireless.

Also I always thought CapTel still use or depend on relay service but you don't call relay instead CapTel will connect to a relay service automically for you when you call someone or someone calls you.

I didnt know there was a CapTel that could convert voice to text by using some type of synthesis or processor.

Bill

I read up some more on TelCap and it is a voice regcognition system but relay service agents are doing listening and talking back to voice recognition system so no need to type out what hearing folks saying.

That a neat system setup and relay should be faster now since no keyboards is used.

Tech is getting better and better that I hope one day that there will be an excellent voice recogntion system that doesn't need to be learned by someone voice and will be able to covert them into text near perfect but probably a long way to go still 8-)

Bill

you're both right, CapTel does use voice recognition, and CapTel is a form of relay.

When you make a capTel call a captel operator listens to what the hearing person says and repeats it word for word into their computer. The computer
(that has been trained for voice recognition) converts it to text and sends it to the captel phone. So it's still a form of relay but a lot of the effort has been taken out of initiating the call, and it's (probably) a lot faster because people can speak faster than they can type, and repeating something word for word in a headset causes very little delay compared to typing some ones speech.
----
captel for cell phones should be possible. no idea if a carrier would be willing to do it though... perhaps some one could write software for a windows mobile device...

FCC just aprove relay funding for Captel over IP stay tune there will be more options in the near furture.

CapTel Speech-to-Voice Synthesis

Can we expect CapTel-capable cell phones on the future? The reason I ask is for bypassing relay (great for privacy) abd be able to read and speak. I can't be sure since I may not know if it's possible to do CapTel if I'm in vocation such as Walt Disney World. I like to make quick calls, despite having to call through relay.
Well, hello from Florida. I live in Daytona Beach.

Anyway, I was just talking to Sprint Relay Account Manager Emma Danielson on the videophone, 2 days ago. She said Ultratech is developing Wireless CapTel.
CapTel is kind of like VCO (Voice Carry Over) but it bypasses relay on which the speech-to-text synthesis converts voice to text to be read by CapTel phone and you use your voice to speak and your caller will hear your voice.
CapTel is not really voice synthesis. CapTel still uses a specially trained captioner to revoice everything the Hearing person says into a computer using FastTran voice recognition software. This is similiar to VCO with privacy, because you only need one phone line, and the captioner does not hear what you say. The captioner only hears what the Hearing person says. The difference is, like 2-Line VCO, you can hear what the Hearing person says, and if you cannot hear, you can read the captions.
It would be cool if they had those using bluetooth so you could link them to your cellphone wireless.
Oh, Bill, I would love to see CapTel with bluetooth. It would be gread for people who use hearing aids, because bluetooth does not interfere. We should write Ultratech to let them know!
Also I always thought CapTel still use or depend on relay service but you don't call relay instead CapTel will connect to a relay service automically for you when you call someone or someone calls you.
For outgoing calls, just pres the "Caption" button on the CapTel. If you have 1-Line CapTel, the Hearing person must dial the captioning service first, then enter your number. For 2-Line CapTel, captions appear automatically, without the need for a Hearing person do dial an alternate number.
FCC just aprove relay funding for Captel over IP stay tune there will be more options in the near furture.
Really? :jaw: How did you find out about this? Do you have any more information?

Back