Would like an old rusty, ugly Jeep

Since you live in the Rust Belt, most of the Jeeps from the 70's that you find up there probably will have rusty bodies. So, it shouldn't be hard to find ugly ones. :giggle:

Yep :). A lot of rusty rigs out here!! Maybe someone on Alldeaf will have a rusty rig that they want to sell.

Yes, that is right. One that runs. Would like a 1974-1983 Cherokee or a 1975-1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I DO NOT want a XJ Cherokee/Wagoneer. Only a full size. The cheaper, the uglier, the better.

Here are some examples:

1979 Jeep Cherokee

1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

1979 JEEP CHIEF CHEROKEE

I LOVE the first example, only in the red body with white top and the Cherokee livery. A friend of mine's parents had one like this, and I LOVED IT. But... I have a 2005 Wrangler Unlimited (long wheelbase)...

My Grandpa had a brown 1979 CHerokee S 4 door. It had no indian stripes, but it did have the indian emblem. He also had 2 white Grand Wagoneers. Those old Jeeps are sooooo cool!!!

lol, I got so excited because I thought you wanted an old rusty jeep (more like the CJ or YJ style) with roll bars and no top for mud slinging or something and I have one of those. It's actually got a small hole rusted in the passenger floorboard but as there are no doors on it either.. doesn't make much of a difference. haha
I'm curious though, are you wanting a parts car or are you planning on fixing one up? Somethin in between?

How about checking out on craigslist.org for finding an old rusty Jeep? Check under Auto and check under free. You can barter on there. You can also check cars.com for that old rusty one. You never know. Keep looking on those sites. Check your local pennysaver newspaper. They are classified newspapers usually delievered free to your home weekly. Check there. Not bad idea to look beyond the internet we all forget to look into old fashioned way. They earn it!

Before days of craigslist, I got Autotrader, checked Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun time Classifields. Even Daily Heralds classifields. I wonder I can do that online. If I was to google, say "1979 Cherokee for sale", I hardly see any local newspapers. So maybe have to pick up local newspapers and hope it's there.

Before they downsized, I had a 1978 Jeep Cherokee Chief, metallic gray. I really liked it. I had it for 10 years and last I heard, it was on a local horse ranch......

We got one, and yeah it is XJ Cherokee, 1998, had it for over ten years and it is one of best vehicle we ever owned. Right now it has cancer, oh sorry I mean rusty but drives just fine. Of these 10 years, I have not spent more than $2k on non-maintenace related repairs. If Chrysler still makes XJ I would buy another one and keep it indefinitely. If you can find one with 4.0L it is one of the best straight 6 engine.
AMC Jeep seems to be better than Chrysler version of Jeep.

Before they downsized, I had a 1978 Jeep Cherokee Chief, metallic gray. I really liked it. I had it for 10 years and last I heard, it was on a local horse ranch......

Why not ask and find what it is up to?

Gawd! Whats wrong with Chrysler! Even though Jeep Cherokee is making comeback but uglier MOFO (Excuse me) than ever and really turns me off. I rather Cherokee style up to 2001! Sorry, not interested in Grand Cherokee, just good ol'e Cherokee.

Iconic Jeep Cherokee's controversial return - Mar. 27, 2013

That's terrible. Crossovers are great for people that really don't need an SUV but want one anyway. What about people that really do need a small suv like the Cherokee was.

My '96 is great. reasonable gas mileage and enough power to haul a trailer of firewood and I can fit the snow blower in the back with the seat down. I can go shopping with it or drive down the old logging roads to my hunting spots. It's not huge and it's not small.

This new Cherokee is just a little bigger size of Compass! If one wants crossover, get Jeep Compass instead.

The original Cherokee has its distinctive design which resemble AMC originals. 2014 was no match.

Yeah 96 and 98 Cherokee is very similar, only difference I can recognize was the back door handle which redesign for 97 Cherokee. They are very rugged no matter where you drive, it can handle moderate off road driving without issue as long as its 4.0L with 4x4. I would have to give my Cherokee reliability rating as 1 being worst and 10 as being best, I select 10!

And yeah it can haul up to almost full cord of firewood with trailer. I don't have hitch on my Cherokee, just my truck. Even though I know it was designed to haul, and I don't think my Cherokee is having good hauling capabilities anymore. I have no idea how bad the uni-frame is at this time, few have rot though already. Few years left :(

That's terrible. Crossovers are great for people that really don't need an SUV but want one anyway. What about people that really do need a small suv like the Cherokee was.

My '96 is great. reasonable gas mileage and enough power to haul a trailer of firewood and I can fit the snow blower in the back with the seat down. I can go shopping with it or drive down the old logging roads to my hunting spots. It's not huge and it's not small.

Back