The Audists are coming for you...

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
I found this in deafread.

Remember this poem by Pastor Martin Niemller. Adolf HItler had him spent 7 years in concentraton camps after speaking out.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for the sick,
the so-called incurables, I didn't speak up,
because I wasn’t mentally ill.

When they came for the Catholics, I didn't
speak up because I was a Protestant.

When they came for me,
there was no-one left to speak out.

This can be you as the audists are coming for you!

Audism spreads while good Deaf people do nothing!

Valid comparison: "audists" to nazis?
As a DEAF person never have "heard" hearing persons compared to Nazis. Does that comparison seem to apply to "persons one's knows"?

Different worlds?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Miss D, I recall these words - I had this on a postcard on the outside of my dorm room door.

I think if we consider the eugenic ideas and policies of person AGB, then we can certainly make the comparison.

The idea of "eugenics" predate Alexander Graham Bell's group by many years.

I love it MissD! Everyone needs to speak out. I have no patience with those who simply tolerate it because they don't see it as having a direct impact on their little life.

The "Audism spreads while good Deaf people do nothing!" quote is now one of my favorite quotes! :D

Valid comparison: "audists" to nazis?
As a DEAF person never have "heard" hearing persons compared to Nazis. Does that comparison seem to apply to "persons one's knows"?

Different worlds?

Are you saying that you don't see how audists are like nazis??

What do you think-an exercise in Sociology: culture? Opinions: "dogmatic truths"?

Wirelessly posted

you think it is a valiad comparison? A parent who chooses a cochlear implant and spoken language for their child because they believe it will provide more opportunities than ASL would...is a NAZI?

an audiologist who programs CIs and hearing aides because he thinks he is improving people's lives....a NAZI?

a teacher of the deaf who works with little children, teaching them spoken language because she wants them to be able to live their life without "being tied to an interpreter". Who spends her time and energy and personal money on learning games and toys and keeping up to date with all the research and pours her whole heart into working with those kids....a NAZI?

really? There is a difference between disagreeing and being a NAZI...come on. It is incredibly disrespectful to the horror of the holocaust and the people who lost their lives to throw that word around.

Last edited:
I found this in deafread.

Remember this poem by Pastor Martin Niemller. Adolf HItler had him spent 7 years in concentraton camps after speaking out.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for the sick,
the so-called incurables, I didn't speak up,
because I wasn’t mentally ill.

When they came for the Catholics, I didn't
speak up because I was a Protestant.

When they came for me,
there was no-one left to speak out.

This can be you as the audists are coming for you!

Audism spreads while good Deaf people do nothing!

Wirelessly posted

you think it is a valiad comparison? A parent who chooses a cochlear implant and spoken language for their child because they believe it will provide more opportunities than ASL would...is a NAZI?

an audiologist who programs CIs and hearing aides because he thinks he is improving people's lives....a NAZI?

a teacher of the deaf who works with little children, teaching them spoken language because she wants them to be able to live their life without "being tied to an interpreter". Who spends her time and energy and personal money on learning games and toys and keeping up to date with all the research and pours her whole heart into working with those kids....a NAZI?

really? There is a difference between disagreeing and being a NAZI...come on. It is incredibly disrespectful to the horror of the holocaust and the people who lost their lives to throw that word around.

What would you have us do? Remain silent? The first post was written by a Holocaust survivor.

THIS: "I think if we consider the eugenic ideas and policies of person AGB, then we can certainly make the comparison"

from my earlier post-

not about parents, audi.'s, as a group and no personal sentiment in it.

THIS: "I think if we consider the eugenic ideas and policies of person AGB, then we can certainly make the comparison"

from my earlier post-

Exactly.

Wirelessly posted

Yeah. Just like the audi that pushes a CI so someone won't "fall into" Deaf culture. You live in a make believe world.

from my earlier post-

Of course the comparison can be made. Only those without the ability to think fluidly, or those that are far too defensive regarding the decisions they have made, fail to see the connections.

AGBell most certainly promoted eugenics by recommending that the deaf not be permitted to propogate. And it was all based on a very faulty theory of genetic transmissions. His organization continues to strive for the eradication of the signing deaf with policies based on just as faulty of theories regarding the deaf.

"Fluid thinking" is that effected by swimming? Helps to organize one's thinking while multitasking swimming. Recommend it to everyone.

Off to another bout - intensive fluid thinking-" what is for supper?" while swimming. Important!

What would you have us do? Remain silent? The first post was written by a Holocaust survivor.

I am pretty sure he didn't write the last two lines. ;)

I do think it is in poor taste if deaf people DID tell others that they identify with those who are jailed, tortured, killed, and so on. Example: saying that audism/hearing people who are for CIs are practically the same as the Nazis/Nazi propaganda.

However, that is NOT what the OP is saying. This first post has a good underlying message, which is simply: Speak out.

"Fluid thinking" is that effected by swimming? Helps to organize one's thinking while multitasking swimming. Recommend it to everyone.

Off to another bout - intensive fluid thinking-" what is for supper?" while swimming. Important!

If it was affected by swimming, you should have developed the ability by now, given all the time you devote to deaf swimming. Since you show no evidence of the ability, however, I think it is safe to say that swimming does not affect it at all.

I am pretty sure he didn't write the last two lines. ;)

I do think it is in poor taste if deaf people DID tell others that they identify with those who are jailed, tortured, killed, and so on. Example: saying that audism/hearing people who are for CIs are practically the same as the Nazis/Nazi propaganda.

However, that is NOT what the OP is saying. This first post has a good underlying message, which is simply: Speak out.

Audism really has nothing to do with CIs.

Audism really has nothing to do with CIs.

Gawd... fine!

Let me rephrase: I do think it is in poor taste if deaf people DID tell others that they identify with those who are jailed, tortured, killed, and so on. Example: saying that audism/audists are practically the same as the Nazis/Nazi propaganda.

Gawd... fine!

Let me rephrase: I do think it is in poor taste if deaf people DID tell others that they identify with those who are jailed, tortured, killed, and so on. Example: saying that audism/audists are practically the same as the Nazis/Nazi propaganda.

It is a comparison to the same mind set, not a comparison to the actual activities. I actually had relatives die in the ovens, and I don't find the comparison offensive at all. In fact, I use it. A Jewish boss I had made the comparison on his own in a discussion of audism many years ago. Viktor Frankl, a survivor of several concentration camps, has used his experience with such to make connections to many different experiences in life.

Back