Anyone ever do a virtual baby shower?

LoveBlue

Reaction score
With my daughter across the country from me I was thinking of maybe having a virtual baby shower for her for family/friends here on the east coast. So far, from my brief search online it looks like most virtual showers are for out-of-town guests, not an out-of-town guest of honor.

Baby showers are hosted by friends of the mom-to-be, not the grandparents-to-be. (Otherwise, it looks like the grandparents are just trying to get gifts for the baby.) A shower is a get together party, so I don't see how that could be done online.

The best thing to do for out-of-town friends and family is to have a gift registry ready at a few stores that they can access online. (Don't mention the registry unless they ask; again, it looks greedy.) If they don't ask about a registry, you can mention baby room colors or themes, or sex of the baby, if they want suggestions.

If you want your daughter to be able to open gifts from the East Coast friends and family during her local shower, you can maybe have them delivered to the hostess of the shower. That way, they can be included during the party. Also, have someone at the party take still pictures and videos to send to you. Then, you and the East Coasters can gather together to watch the video and enjoy snacks and fellowship.

Is it for a virtual baby?

Well, I do have virtual pics of the baby. She's had a few ultrasounds done & my SIL sent me pics each time. He even sent me a video one time.

I know I'm not to give a shower, but thought I'd investigate in case some one expresses interest in doing something here. I just hope no one asks me to take presents to her when I go out to see them when the baby's born. I'll tell them I can't because you can't take wrapped presents on planes and I'm sure not going to wrap them when I get there.

... I just hope no one asks me to take presents to her when I go out to see them when the baby's born. I'll tell them I can't because you can't take wrapped presents on planes and I'm sure not going to wrap them when I get there.
That's the beauty of using registries. A person on the East Coast can order online and have it gift wrapped and included with a gift tag with message, and sent directly to the new mom's address or to the address of the shower hostess on the West Coast.

Yes, taking gifts on planes is ridiculous these days. Not only can you not wrap them but if you check them as luggage, you have to pay extra. It's outrageous.

She is registered at Amazon. One thought I had was, if someone here wants to "host" a party they would tell the guests to have the gifts delivered to someone where my daughter is by a certain date then we would set up some type of Skype party here & there with my daughter opening her gifts.
These are just thoughts that have crossed my mind. I suspect between her work, their church and maybe even his work, they'll have a shower or two (or three).
I'm trying not to buy anything more than what I have already. I will offer to take her shopping for things she didn't get but wants/needs if she & the baby are up to going out.

My ex-mother in law hosted a virtual wedding shower for me. She lives on the East coast whereas I live in the midwest. This was 20 years ago, so it wasn't quite "virtual" the way it is now, but I got big packages in the mail from all the gifts given at the actual shower, along with a complete photo album detailing the entire day. So it felt like I had been "right there" when opening all the gifts. :) It was a nice touch. (Of course we had a separate wedding shower for my local friends here.)

Back