Torn - subtitled and a bit of faux pas signing

I agree. I am "deaf" deaf and I did not care for the "performance" at all.

That's fine. Different strokes for different folks. One comedian cannot possibly please 100% of his/her audience.

That's fine. Different strokes for different folks. One comedian cannot possibly please 100% of his/her audience.

Man, you are quite good at this spin thing. I should really be taking notes here.

that's why the comedian uses the right joke for right audience. The comedian does not perform the same joke to all audiences across America.

Man, you are quite good at this spin thing. I should really be taking notes here.

It's not spin. It's how I see it versus how you see it. I see it as a funny video. I see the phrase "deaf karoke" as an oxymoron which is humorous in its own right. I'm saying what I see in that skit and it's a funny skit and got a laugh out of it.

It's not spin. It's how I see versus how you see. I see it as a funny video. I see the phrase "deaf karoke" as an oxymoron which is humorous in its own right. I'm saying what I see in that skit and it's a funny skit and got a laugh out of it.

hmm..... let's see... let's try posting that Russell Peters's jew skit in deaf Jewish forum and tell them "c'mon chill out! I see humor differently as you do." :hmm:

It's not spin. It's how I see it versus how you see it. I see it as a funny video. I see the phrase "deaf karoke" as an oxymoron which is humorous in its own right. I'm saying what I see in that skit and it's a funny skit and got a laugh out of it.

Yes, and we see your view, yet you continue to sweep aside and not acknowledge the valid viewpoints that everyone else is expressing here. You really have a problem with sympathy, man.

Sure was funny, tho. Guess what he used for "female," too? At least he used a manual alphabet "C" but it was for "see" instead. Or "I" by pointing to his eye. And so on. All in all, a funny mime skit.

Yes, and we see your view, yet you continue to sweep aside and not acknowledge the valid viewpoints that everyone else is expressing here. You really have a problem with sympathy, man.

And I see your (and others) point of view. But I see it differently, and disagree on some points as well.

And note that I am using the personal pronoun "I" to express my point of view and not use the word "you" to such a degree against other people here.

And I see your (and others) point of view. But I see it differently, and disagree on some points as well.

And note that I am using the personal pronoun "I" to express my point of view and not use the word "you" to such a degree against other people here.

that's not what you did there. You dismissed it. trivialized it. justified it.

Then explain your rationale; don't just say, "That's not how I see it," because the world isn't about just what YOU see. You have not offered up a single valid counterpoint to several of the issues brought up other than to dismiss and trivialize. And you wonder why you rub so many people the wrong way around here? :roll:

Then explain your rationale; don't just say, "That's not how I see it," because the world isn't about just what YOU see. You have not offered up a single valid counterpoint to several of the issues brought up other than to dismiss and trivialize. And you wonder why you rub so many people the wrong way around here? :roll:

I believe I already explained my rationale in this thread. Which ones are you referring to?

Alex, I was merely trying to educate on the context.

What Russell Peters did was took real signs, and built a joke on them. Thus I didn't complain about them.

However the titles of the mime act and Heather McDonald's comment were way out of line since they didn't have an appropriate context.

The three signs for Jews were stereo-types. And?

Firstly, the movements are all over-exaggerated. Obviously he does not have a good grasp of sign language. (No surprise that he would not take the the time to learn proper "pronunciation" since he's just exploiting it for his own personal gain.) For example, the beard sign doe not extend very long like the way he does it. Secondly, the other two signs he uses are uncommon and out of date and would only used in a derogatory way, the same way someone might still refer to African Americans today as "colored" or "negro."

Lastly, did he (or you) even stop and think for a second that there are plenty of Deaf people who also happen to be Jewish? What he is doing is othering the Deaf community here, making them seem like a different, removed group of people from society, and an ignorant, bigoted group of people at that.

What Russell Peters did was took real signs, and built a joke on them. Thus I didn't complain about them.

However the titles of the mime act and Heather McDonald's comment were way out of line since they didn't have an appropriate context.

Uh, you don't have a problem with that video?

That's your opinion, not mine. Personally, myself I dont' see the words "deaf karoke" as out line. Just a cleaver use of the words.

I look past that and see it as another cleaver way of doing mime to go with the song. Though the phrase "Deaf Karoke" is kind of funny in how it's phrased. Kind of like an oxymoron. Something along the line like "deafening silence" or "cruel kindness." I see no "thin line" with the skit itself.

That's your opinion, not mine. Personally, myself I dont' see the words "deaf karoke" as out line. Just a cleaver use of the words.

clever. not cleaver :)

unless you're talking about cleaving this issue into non-issue matter :)

Back