Dealing with Neighbor complaints of Loud Noises

Homeowners have the privilege of being a bit louder than normal because their house is 10 to 20 feet away from other houses.

Apartments and townhouses are wall-to-wall. So, it's fair for some apartments to allow people to pick where they want to live. Of course, there will be times when there's an occasional noise or outburst... but when it becomes more than it should, it can be bothersome.

In your case, it seems like it's the new roommate that's being a prick by whining constantly. Is that roommate on your neighbor's lease? Most apartment don't allow unsigned boarders living in apartments.

lol....well, its supposed to be for families...but, there are about 10-12 out of the 45 that are single persons or couples who don't have kids...my neighbor is the one that calls the police or management on everyone. Until now, we have either discussed things with management or eachother...but, apparently she and her male roommate want to make it an issue...the thing is we have been really quiet until the last 2 days, and my kids have been inside with strep...I thought last weekend that it was a cold, so for about 5 days they have done pretty good being quiet...but, you can't keep kids in and quiet all the time. I just don't understand why people who don't want children, move into areas filled with kids...not that they shouldn't but why put yourself where you are going to have issues? (I am not attacking you.).

I think... the area with children tends to have attractive surrounding... and bigger places, perhaps?

Thanks for the great info...my daughter is 3 yrs old, and quite honestly she doesn't care how loud she is. We have tried time out, rewards, and all kinds of other ways to try and get her to be quieter, and sometimes she complies, but, not always. The problem here is that its the neighbors roommate, who called, and I have issues with their noise during the night, but, I am not the type to just up and call the police. This roommate has only been here 6 months, and has borderlined on harrassment as far as I am concerned since he got here...he was a bit tainted when he got here, because the owner next door said that he should pound on our wall if it was ever loud, which is directly opposite of what the HOA rules are. I may have no recourse, but we are talking about a 3 year old, and its during the day...and on the opposite side of the house....
Could you possibly go to your local Deaf/HOH service bureau and see if there is some kind of auditory counseling they can help you with? Seems like you need some help helping your 3 year old with their hearing and communication.

Homeowners have the privilege of being a bit louder than normal because their house is 10 to 20 feet away from other houses.

Apartments and townhouses are wall-to-wall. So, it's fair for some apartments to allow people to pick where they want to live. Of course, there will be times when there's an occasional noise or outburst... but when it becomes more than it should, it can be bothersome.

In your case, it seems like it's the new roommate that's being a prick by whining constantly. Is that roommate on your neighbor's lease? Most apartment don't allow unsigned boarders living in apartments.

He is not on the lease...so, it may be an issue, I just hate having to deal with it...I am one of those who leaves others alone until they invade my privacy...or really piss me off. I figure....live and let live...until you stick your nose in other peoples business...then you get what you get. I typically leave others alone until I really feel like we need to talk...then I talk...I don't like having problems with others....

they are bigger....and nicer, and most of the neighborhood is really nice. But, we do have a few who are just plain nosey and like to make others personal lives public or miserable.

He is not on the lease...so, it may be an issue, I just hate having to deal with it...I am one of those who leaves others alone until they invade my privacy...or really piss me off. I figure....live and let live...until you stick your nose in other peoples business...then you get what you get. I typically leave others alone until I really feel like we need to talk...then I talk...I don't like having problems with others....
Well, he's been sticking his nose in your business. Therefore, you should stick your nose in his... "Say, are you not on the lease? Let me check with the landlord." ;)

Could you possibly go to your local Deaf/HOH service bureau and see if there is some kind of auditory counseling they can help you with? Seems like you need some help helping your 3 year old with their hearing and communication.

We do have her seeing someone, and actually, she is much better than she used to be...I guess that is one of the things that makes me really upset about this...our house is much quieter than it used to be....

Part of this is the communication barrier that we have...we do sign, and speak...but, because we are not perfect parents, and we are hearing parents and have not been in this type of situation, we are learning and trying to adapt to her needs as well as the needs of the whole family. Its a learning process. Thanks for the info!

Well, he's been sticking his nose in your business. Therefore, you should stick your nose in his... "Say, are you not on the lease? Let me check with the landlord." ;)
lol...believe me, I have had all afternoon to think about what I would like to do...I just can't do most of them....I want to get him, just not stoop to his level....lol...but, yes, now that it has been mentioned...I will be thinking :)

We do have her seeing someone, and actually, she is much better than she used to be...I guess that is one of the things that makes me really upset about this...our house is much quieter than it used to be....

Part of this is the communication barrier that we have...we do sign, and speak...but, because we are not perfect parents, and we are hearing parents and have not been in this type of situation, we are learning and trying to adapt to her needs as well as the needs of the whole family. Its a learning process. Thanks for the info!

3 years old can be very impatient and easily frustrated. I know because my parents told me a lot about when I was that age. My parents are hearing and they didn't know how to deal with this type of situation either. I was a very difficult child. My brother is HOH too so that doubles the trouble for them. :o

Just hang in there! every single day gets better and better. sometimes you'll have some horrible days but it still gets better. it doesn't hurt to teach her to play piano. It helped for me.

3 years old can be very impatient and easily frustrated. I know because my parents told me a lot about when I was that age. My parents are hearing and they didn't know how to deal with this type of situation either. I was a very difficult child. My brother is HOH too so that doubles the trouble for them. :o

Just hang in there! every single day gets better and better. sometimes you'll have some horrible days but it still gets better. it doesn't hurt to teach her to play piano. It helped for me.
Wow! Our son is HOH too...but, he is quiet (unless he is really mad, then he stomps his feet) so I do have an understanding there...Piano...I hadn't thought of that for her, but that is a good idea. The one thing about our daughter is that she really can be the sweetest and most adorable child...and then out comes the dark side...lol

Thanks for the piano idea!

When I was younger my family was living in a town house. My brother and I are both HOH and don't realize we are too loud sometimes. Our neighbor reported any little loud noise to management and eventually to the police. We tried everything to keep quiet, eventually we felt like we were always on our toes trying not to get a complaint. The worse part was that they were louder than us. There was nothing we could do to get them to stop complaining. The only way was to move away and get a house, which was the best thing we have ever done.

I am sorry you have a whiny neighbor. I am pretty much sure it's going to be one of those "either he or you move" situations.

I ran into the same problem whe I was renting. Some people are too sensitive to noise and they have to realize that living in an apartment there will be noise-they should not be renting an apartment. My landlord understood my situation and quashed any complaints about me an noise. I decided to buy a house in a quiet neighborehood and never looked back, now I can make all the noise I want :)

I feel for you. I have a 4 yo and 2 yo - - both can hear, though. I live in a condo which has the same set up as a townhouse. My next door neighbor has moved thank god. He called the cops on me. I am loud, I am hoh but I talk loud. I can't be quiet. I am irked by the earlier posts on this thread that say otherwise. I feel I can't help 'yelling' because I can not hear myself when I am quiet, it depresses me. Anyway, I know how a 3 yo can be. They are loud, hearing or not. When they don't get what they want, Japan can hear them scream......I think I heard your dd scream all the way here in Michigan. lol

Don't say you are not perfect parents! You are doing fine. I feel bad for your dd because time outs and other methods of discipline may confuse her. And I know you don't want to pop her spirit. IDK.

I say if she's loud, let her be loud. If you feel safe enough in that you will not be evicted due to the noise, then don't change. The neighbor can call the police till they are blue in the face, I can't imagine a state/county taking tax dollars to sue over the noise of a deaf 3 year old! Why let that man control your every move/sound. Don't.

It's always easier said than done. Good luck.

Piano??? Won't that add onto the noise?

I also heard that wall to wall bookshelf will cut down the sounds. I think it is a good idea for her to catch the love of reading when there are all those books. I won't be surprised if she is quiet while reading a book. I know she is 3 now but I am thinking of few years later.

You can get used books cheap. I know of a place where used books are free. Keep your eyes peeled for used books... that is if you do go for this.

I also heard that wall to wall bookshelf will cut down the sounds. I think it is a good idea for her to catch the love of reading when there are all those books. I won't be surprised if she is quiet while reading a book. I know she is 3 now but I am thinking of few years later.

You can get used books cheap. I know of a place where used books are free. Keep your eyes peeled for used books... that is if you do go for this.

Somebody better take up speed reading! :lol:

piano or any instruments helps stimulate your mind and intelligence (perhaps). same for painting, book reading, etc. so i'm sure music noise is better than sound of screaming, stomping, etc.

Most apartment don't allow unsigned boarders living in apartments.

What is that mean? Boarders-- I think that means: for example: my sister
bringing with two dogs for visit, but we have one dog for living in my apartment, but our apartment has limit up to 2 pets.

If my neighbor who have someone with them, I don't care about them, because it's not our business. I would totally respect their privacy.

Back