The myth of the American Dream

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
America's economic mobility myth - Dec. 9, 2013

The American Dream is supposed to mean that through hard work and perseverance, even the poorest people can make it to middle class or above. But it's actually harder to move up in America than it is in most other advanced nations.

It's easier to rise above the class you're born into in countries like Japan, Germany, Australia, and the Scandinavian nations, according to research from University of Ottawa economist and current Russell Sage Foundation Fellow Miles Corak.

Among the major developed countries, only in Italy and the United Kingdom is there less economic mobility, according to Corak.

The research measures "intergenerational earnings elasticity" -- a type of economic mobility that measures the correlation between what your parents make and what you make one generation later -- in a number of different countries around the world.

Most Americans born into the lower class stay in the lower class.

Economists aren't certain exactly why some countries have a greater degree of mobility than others, but they do point to certain similarities.

Greater current inequality: The more unequal a society is currently, the greater the chance that the children will be stuck in the same sphere. This is because wealthy families are able to provide things like tutors and extracurricular activities -- and the time to pursue them -- that poorer families often cannot.

Also, education matters a lot more now than it did 100 years ago in terms of getting a good job.

"The rich can pump a lot more money into their kids' future," said Corak.

This helps explain why counties like China, India and many South American nations also exhibit relatively little economic mobility.

Families: Having a stable home life is also associated with the ability to climb the economic ladder, said Corak. The United States tends to have higher rates of divorce, single-parent homes, and teenage pregnancy than many other industrialized counties.

Social policies: Counties that redistribute wealth -- through, say, higher taxes on the rich and more spending on the poor -- tend to have greater social mobility, said Francisco Ferreira, an economist at the World Bank.

Obama on social mobility in America

Obama on social mobility in America

This is especially true when it comes to education spending. Critics have long contended that the U.S. system for funding education -- where school funding is largely based on property taxes -- perpetuates inequality far more so than a system that taxes the whole country for schools, then redistributes that money to the districts that are most needy.

Related: Why the highest paid people make so much money

If why Americans have a harder time making it into the middle class is a bit of a mystery to economists, why Americans cling to the belief that it's still easy to do is even more baffling.

It could be because, during the late 1800s and early 1900, the United States was a much more mobile country than Britain, said Jason Long, an economist at Wheaton College in Illinois.

"It's clear that Americans still believe that America has exceptional mobility, and that's not true," said Long. He calling it "vexing" that "lots of people could be systematically mistaken about verifiable, factual information."

But no society has total mobility. Class is always going to be somewhat correlated to one's upbringing, Corak noted. To top of page

It seems that it is harder and harder to achieve financial freedom in America these days. What do you think?

Sad and very true. This reminds me of this picture that I saw recently...

936778_611878728847503_1069443938_n.jpg

Oh they were taxed. That is the year the income tax was first passed if I remember correctly.

This depends on what one's view of the, "American Dream". If it means someone else no longer pays for your retirement and health care, yes, that dream has ended. You can no-longer trust people when they tell you, "work for me for 30 years and I'll give you 40 years off", not gonna happen.

But, look at it this way, no matter what changes for people now living in America, we still have it better than those who emigrated here with nothing before the 20th century.

No matter how you compare it, there are more opportunities today and there will be more opportunities tomorrow, for those that want to do the work.

The truth is, we need to be as cautious, if not more, than our ancestors. We need to get back to common sense instead of more credit cards.

IMO it has to do with WWII and the aftereffects. USA came out victorious and the losers ended up struggling just to survive. Just look at Japan, Italy, and Germany after the war. Taking that into consideration it's easy for USA to prosper with all its resources and barely any competition.

Just look at the car manufacturers such as Ford and GM. Back in the 50's there were barely any competing companies from other countries. Japanese cars were a joke back then. Because of this USA did pretty well until around the 80s when Japan and Germany recovered from the war and started producing some good products and services. If you think GM is a victim of circumstances well just look at the junk they were making compared to Hondas nowadays.

I even sort of see this in my software programming industry. "Way back" in the 90s-2000s there was barely any concept of outsourcing so programmers here in USA had it really nice with their 6 figure salaries and perks. But now India and China are producing some programmers and willing to work for the same salary as a McDonalds employee.

Because of this american programmers are seeing their salaries reduced and even their benefits disappearing. Even at my current job I have a pension but I will be amazed if that pension can STILL pay monthly by the time I retire. I would bet I'll just get a lump sum, which is better than nothing.

In summary I think the reason for the changing economy is just due to the other countries recovering and now we are getting some competition.

I think the reason for the incongruity of the belief and the actual reality if the American dream is because most Americans have an overinflated sense if ego and patriotism about America. Many many many still believe we are the best at everything just because it's 'Merica!!! Even though evidence that America doesn't really rank the best of much of anything.

I'm going to find the best video clip ever that's explains what I'm talking about.

Here it is, the CC works pretty well for this video....at least they did last time I watched it, hope that's still true :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML3qYHWRIZk]The Most Honest Three Minutes In Television History - YouTube[/ame]

There was income tax in the Civil War and in the 1890's.

When there wasn't income tax, there was poll tax and property tax, so if you owned anything you paid pretty well for taxes.

There were also tariffs on things coming into the country.

Isn't that a clip from a fictional TV series, "The Newsroom"? I know that's Jeff Daniels.

Yes, I didn't say it was from the news lol, I said it would explain very well what I'm talking about. AND just because something is from fiction doesn't mean they can't use actual facts. We rank very low in many categories but that doesn't stop people from thinking Merica is the best, and the American way is the best way.

My family never had a lot of money but we never felt or behaved low class. We were comfortable with people of all social classes.

On the other hand, money can't buy class.

My family never had a lot of money but we never felt or behaved low class. We were comfortable with people of all social classes.

On the other hand, money can't buy class.

That's a different kind of class and I think you know that. ;)

I don't care about the level of class. just about having financial freedom.. does it depends on one's perspective what financial freedom means? someone can be earning $5 million a year but of they have $10 million on debt, do th get have more financial freedom than someone earning $100K a year and have little or no debt?

That's a different kind of class and I think you know that. ;)

;)

I'm going back to a better class of loser
This up-town living's really got me down
I need friends who don't pay their bills on home computers
And who buy their coffee beans already ground
You think it's disgraceful that they drink three-dollar wine
But a better class of loser suits me fine

Here's an interesting video on income inequality that really opens your eyes to vast divide in classes

9 Out Of 10 Americans Are Completely Wrong About This Mind-Blowing Fact

It takes money to make money, you just can't get away from that. I think the huge cost if education plays a big part in this as well. That article you posted shel makes very very good points.

I think it take more than money to make money . There are people that had very little but they did have great ambition and that drove them to made money . I think some people do not have the same ambition as people once had. And I bet the government like this as it's easier to control people this way.

I think it take more than money to make money . There are people that had very little but they did have great ambition and that drove them to made money . I think some people do not have the same ambition as people once had. And I bet the government like this as it's easier to control people this way.

Those are very unique individuals, and they are few and far between, and that has always been true. I agree it does take more, but it helps. It helps those people that aren't all that unique, they just had a very lucky birth ;) All that children are born to parents that are well to do and can afford the best education and to meet all the right people and make all the connections.... would they do as well if they were born middle class families that struggle? Maybe but I doubt it.

For me the American dream was to own my home. Although I had to fight for that opportunity. 15 or so years ago after my company repeatedly denied me the ability to move up from part time loader to full time driver. I did what I consider an American freedom, that is suing the company and it becoming a class action for 1200 deaf employees. After years of winning and appealing and winning. Im proud to say im a driver and many other deaf employees benefited. This led me to have good health ins 401k pension etc. And being a good boy and paying my bills. No late. No crazy charges. That allowed me to qualify to own my home. First one was in city, got sick and tired of the traffic, crowd, theft etc. Moved and now own a home im happy with. Now I can say im living the American dream.
Im not sure if I would have been able to sue and win in a different country?
One thing I wish we had was a deaf billionaire who set up a company to invent everything a deaf can use. Like Microsoft or apple. And more deaf attorneys, more deaf judges and mayors. That would really stimulate the needs and opportunities for deaf,.hh, coda etc. Now that would be the last thing America is lacking.

Those are very unique individuals, and they are few and far between, and that has always been true. I agree it does take more, but it helps. It helps those people that aren't all that unique, they just had a very lucky birth ;) All that children are born to parents that are well to do and can afford the best education and to meet all the right people and make all the connections.... would they do as well if they were born middle class families that struggle? Maybe but I doubt it.

Kids from middle class families can become very successful and kids from rich families may never become successful . I will agree it's harder today to reach the American dream. More adults are doing the jobs that teenagers use to do during summer vacation. Jobs are getting moved to other counties
and the our schools are getting behinds other countries. We will not be # one much longer that the rate the country is moving.

Back