The myth of the American Dream

Middle class is a funny thing, most everybody think if themselves as middle class, lower income people think they're the middle, they don't want to think they're poor. Upper class think they're middle class because they don't consider themselves wealthy, so.......depends on where in the middle they are from. I'm not saying someone who was poor cannot be successful or that someone from the upperclass is guaranteed to be successful. I'm saying it's like the article says......people are more likely to stay in the class they were born in, chips are stacked for and against people, and no money isn't the only reason. Environment, upbringing and resources all play a roll. I'm not making absolute or blanket statements here the EVERYBODY is going to stay where they started.....I'm agreeing with the article. It was spot on.

So where did the money for all of those come from if Americans weren't taxed?

taxes on booze. Income tax was passed to recoup loss in alcohol tax revenues from prohibition.

Unfortunatly, they didn't repeal the income tax, after ending prohibition

Middle class is a funny thing, most everybody think if themselves as middle class, lower income people think they're the middle, they don't want to think they're poor. Upper class think they're middle class because they don't consider themselves wealthy, so.......depends on where in the middle they are from. I'm not saying someone who was poor cannot be successful or that someone from the upperclass is guaranteed to be successful. I'm saying it's like the article says......people are more likely to stay in the class they were born in, chips are stacked for and against people, and no money isn't the only reason. Environment, upbringing and resources all play a roll. I'm not making absolute or blanket statements here the EVERYBODY is going to stay where they started.....I'm agreeing with the article. It was spot on.

Yes, this is more to do with 'denial of the class system', that every one is equal but some are 'more equal than others'...

Oddly in ancient Rome, a slave could earn his or her freedom, become a citizen of Rome, and become as wealthy as their master. Often, masters would treat their slaves like family and it has been proven that the slaves and masters ate the same foods. It wasn't about money or power. It was about giving your fellow man/woman an opportunity.

Back