English GRAMMAR

zerodog

Reaction score
I just want bit venting about the STUPID GRAMMAR. I understand those are important to our life everyday. It is where we are standing on USA soil.

My question to you... I am taking college and did not like what professor do... I normal not feel comfortable have peer student read my essay. I do have trouble with grammar.

My question to you guy, what the way we can capiable of learning. Don't tell me it book. Remember that out there are all different and was told by my professor as today are different. I have to deal with that teacher.

Any suggest or tip that we all can learn something. Or we can do some grammar thread to do English grammar and so we can learn right.. if you are pro-english grammar that we need someone like that.

Many colleges have writing center. It's free.

or you should consider hiring a private tutor or taking basic English course.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Disability and student resource centre on campus will provide you with free tutoring - I'd set something up immediately.

College and University aren't like highschool where instructors will "pass you" even if you are struggling with the topic.

In college and university you have to prove you can keep up and everyone is held to the same 'academic standards" regardless of their personal circumstances such as ESL/EAL, being blind, deaf etc. so it's critical to make use of the DSS and SS resources to make sure you can keep up.

One effective method I've found is to participate on the internet more often. While you are on the internet you are always reading many different writing formats by people of all kinds of backgrounds. As you begin writing you are able to develop for your own style.
It's free, while you pay nothing, and you also can learn things out of it. The only real downsides are that you have to spend time to read and post, if it's not your thing then you would have to look into something else. Social networks like Facebook and MySpace don't really count, people generally try to keep posts brief there.

Read topics other people write, news articles, forums, discuss your thoughts in the comments or debate about it on some forums.
The more you post, the more likely you can improve your writing style; someone will end up asking you to clarify what you mean or go into detail. This will only continue to fortify your writing skills as you think of replies.

Reading is what taught me everything I know about the English language. If you find a book with a good story you really like, you won't even notice you are learning.

Hi Zero;
I don't know if it will help, but I'll practice with you on your 'Grammar Thread' if you want. Upfront, I should say that I am not an English writing professor or anything. I agree that it can be challenging to learn to write fluidly in another language. Good luck!

If you have an Android phone or tablet, I recommend these learning aids which are free from the android market:

Practice English Grammar 1
Pracitice English Grammer 2

They quiz and test you on different parts of grammar. I would ask your professor what parts of grammar you should concentrate on and practice those tests first.

Keep in mind, learning English is a huge undertaking. Language is a very complex issue. Still, just 15 minutes a day practicing will help you get better at it.

I'm still struggling... I understand what I am supposed to write, but without understanding the mechanics it is very hard to proof/correct what you have written.

At the college level, bad grammar can really hurt your grades. And, with online dating it can be brutal as well.

Our college provides free help with paper writing for all students. You might want to check on those resources. They are better than peer reviewers.

In order to attend college, one would have a good grammar skill. Am I wrong?

I know that deaf students (who have a poor grammar skill) are admitted by NTID but I don't know about other colleges.

In order to attend college, one would have a good grammar skill. Am I wrong?

I know that deaf students (who have a poor grammar skill) are admitted by NTID but I don't know about other colleges.

Community colleges should accept just about anyone as long as you have a high school/GED dimploma. Their english dept/writing lab should have free services like everyone's been saying in here.

If you're talking about mainstream state universities and mainstream public/private unversities, then yes you are right, many of those are based on academic performance and merit from previous schools.

I have heard similar rambles about people getting away with non-competitive english skills at some colleges.

Personally I don't know what to think about it. It's not like people with poor grammar could have foreseen the greater issues that would happen or if they were in control of the grammar they learned while growing up - their parents were responsible for that during the critical stages of childhood.

The thoughts I have about college writing departments are somewhat neutral; if they are just ran by one non-professional individual, the writer's material is subjected to bias by how that reader thinks that person should write.

This is how a few writing departments have operated, from my experience witnessing and projecting how it all works.

If it's just one person reviewing your writing, you only get an idea of what that person thought about your writing structure. That person might not agree with your word/definition choice, or a way you expressed an idea. They may personally suggest that a certain event should come before or after another. IE; someone may feel "you should write about how the time travel machine worked before John traveled to the year 2500" rather than let the originating writer express their pure sentiments in that material.

The method (I feel) more satisfactory, is when multiple individuals with good grammar/writing habits, read and comment back on what you wrote.

You get a better overall impression of the general readers than just one individual who may be operating in bias. You can't get this type of feedback everywhere you go in reality, but you can receive this from different places on the 'net without realizing it.

Community colleges should accept just about anyone as long as you have a high school/GED diploma.
I can't speak for all colleges but I know the ones in our state require a minimum competency grade for both math and English. That's proven by scores from SAT's (or equivalent), previous college transcripts, or placement exams. If the student has inadequate test scores, then he has to take developmental (non-credit) courses in math or English skills in order to qualify for credit courses.

I can't speak for all colleges but I know the ones in our state require a minimum competency grade for both math and English. That's proven by scores from SAT's (or equivalent), previous college transcripts, or placement exams. If the student has inadequate test scores, then he has to take developmental (non-credit) courses in math or English skills in order to qualify for credit courses.

Wait, are we still talking about community colleges?

I was under the impression that many CC's would grant acceptance to anyone without provisional conditions. If an applicant scored poorly (or very well) on the placement examinations, they would be moved to the equivalent course the admissions would decide on.

I agree with Reba - every community college that I've even known has had an entrance exam you have to take to prove you can read,write as well as do math etc. If you don't get a specific score you're required to take non credit classes, pass them then retake the entrance exam.

Also if you don't meet the pass mark for grades, you fail - there's no "pity grading" etc. You either know the material or you don't.

Welcome to the Real World.

Last edited:
Paul mentioned certain colleges inadvertently waiving those requirements. I have heard multiple testimonies as to what he said but I don't know the truth behind the claims because I hadn't attended those colleges.

Instructors at some US colleges may pass people in the course based on personal assessment rather than academic performance. Hopefully, this doesn't happen often.

Community colleges should accept just about anyone as long as you have a high school/GED dimploma. Their english dept/writing lab should have free services like everyone's been saying in here.

If you're talking about mainstream state universities and mainstream public/private unversities, then yes you are right, many of those are based on academic performance and merit from previous schools.

I have heard similar rambles about people getting away with non-competitive english skills at some colleges.

Personally I don't know what to think about it. It's not like people with poor grammar could have foreseen the greater issues that would happen or if they were in control of the grammar they learned while growing up - their parents were responsible for that during the critical stages of childhood.

How would you change the SAT for people with bad grammer? After all, grammar is a benchmark for whether you have enough competencies for college.

State schools will take everyone after a certain age without SAT tests.

EDIT: saw you second post.. The student in question would have to orally answer and I don't know if that would be feasible given the amount of illiterate students who would want to get in to college.

Wait, are we still talking about community colleges?
Yes. Community colleges, technical colleges, junior colleges, 2-year colleges, etc.

Hubby is currently going thru the process, so I know whereof I speak. :)

...State schools will take everyone after a certain age without SAT tests....
In my state, the prospective student has to have either passing SAT scores, a college transcript, or take the placement exam. There is no other way in.

From the college website:

"Submit the following in addition to your Application:
- Qualifying ACT, SAT, transcripts of previous college coursework or [college name] COMPASS Placement Test"

Hubby had to take the placement test, and he's 59 years old. What do you call a "certain" age?

Again, I've had the same experience in the USA and Canada. You either take the SAT (21and under) or take the placement test.

In fact even if you already have a degree, if it's been more than 10years, they make you retake a placement test.

I've never ever heard of any post secondary school just "letting in students" without academic testing.

People seem to think that post secondary education is a "right" just like K-12 education.

This isn't true - you have to meet certain academic standards to attend post secondary education and not everyone is able to meet those standards.

Back