If you're deciding on a CI or decided not to get one

Lot of assumptions going on there. Improvement is subjective. You are assuming that your idea of improvement is everyone's idea of improvement.

And since you have no knowledge of pre and post ci circumstances in this person's life; particularly those that are not directly related, as in holistic, you are simply making a guess based on your experience.

In sort, you are making an assessment without having sufficient knowledge of the individual to do so. Sound familiar?

I could make a guess and say it is kind of culture shock when he arrived here with us.

He is a very old man and he may acclimate to us yet?

Ron, sorry for off topic.

Lot of assumptions going on there. Improvement is subjective. You are assuming that your idea of improvement is everyone's idea of improvement.

And since you have no knowledge of pre and post ci circumstances in this person's life; particularly those that are not directly related, as in holistic, you are simply making a guess based on your experience.

In sort, you are making an assessment without having sufficient knowledge of the individual to do so. Sound familiar?

I guess you would have to take your own avice then! Because clearly you do not know his or mine or anyone else's position pre-CI post -CI and totally disregard our input on that. You tend to twist what we say to your own perspective when you are neither here nor there in any aspect of what the device does. That jillio is a plain fact. You are a book people do not need to look into it very far to find out the ending of that book. You make it quite clear that you are unwilling to view our standpoint on anything, because you feel a deaf person is not broken.. I am not broken but I did fix my hearing to the point that make me happy. CI is not for everyone but those who choose to get one usually would go about reading up on what it does. Anyone that doesn't make a informed decision then has no one to blame but themselves.

I guess you would have to take your own avice then! Because clearly you do not know his or mine or anyone else's position pre-CI post -CI and totally disregard our input on that. You tend to twist what we say to your own perspective when you are neither here nor there in any aspect of what the device does. That jillio is a plain fact. You are a book people do not need to look into it very far to find out the ending of that book. You make it quite clear that you are unwilling to view our standpoint on anything, because you feel a deaf person is not broken.. I am not broken but I did fix my hearing to the point that make me happy. CI is not for everyone but those who choose to get one usually would go about reading up on what it does. Anyone that doesn't make a informed decision then has no one to blame but themselves.

No need for a thesis. I made a thread for Drphil to answer.

More Alice in Deafland> I am BILATERALLY DEAF SINCE December 20, 2006. This will not change. My doctor then was comparing an Implant to my using the Phonak LL6 with a 85 db loss plus no hearing in my right ear. The situation obviously changed December 20, 2006. He knew the then criteria of the Ontario government paying for the entire Implant operation required one be DEAF IN both ears. This has been changed recently to Profound level which is 85 db.I know can't go back and get an Implant-correct?
Gee don't lets facts get in way!
I am not longer involved with St Michaels ENT-though still in their Family practice section but Sunnybrook/ cochlear Implant section. All Implant decisions are made by Sunnybrook upon through review of one's entire ENT file which in my case including Cdn Hearing Society/Toronto extensive file from my taking Hearing Help courses. In actual fact I knew I easily fit the criteria subject to Xray/scan results. Tumours/cancer etc. In the end the operation happened.
How important is hearing in ones' life?
Jillio your above post-34- surely applies ispo facto to you-pontification on persons you NEVER met-correct?
As for the drivel of pFH hardly worth the effort to point out the number of errors of HIS gross misreading.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Why do you feel the need to scream about your deafness?

Dude, like I have recommended to you several times: buy a dictionary and use it. You are trying so hard to use "big words" and intellectual phrasing that you end up saying nothing.

There was no pontification involved. It was a one sentence observation on the doctor, and a one sentence observation regarding your adjustment issues.

Ipso facto doesn't apply anywhere to my post...nor to yours, for that matter.

So....the government paid for your implant, huh? Looks like you need to be grateful you are deaf in both ears...it got you that cherished CI.:cool2:

Truly, deafness is the least of your problems.

I could make a guess and say it is kind of culture shock when he arrived here with us.

He is a very old man and he may acclimate to us yet?

Ron, sorry for off topic.

If he ever attempts to open his mind, it is a possibility. But I think his expectation that we should be acclimating to him is far too ingrained.

Can't see your own hypocricy, can you? Really bothers you that you are doing exactly what you accuse others of doing, doesn't it.:cool2:

I am not referring to the devise, nor to the surgical procedure. However, what I am referring to I have ample experience in to comment. It is not my comments that are the problem. It is the biased way that you misinterpret.

Sorry I had no idea DR phil was a patient of your's and that a public forum was a place to give your Analysis on his mental/emotional state of mind. My dearest apologies!

Death and taxes and an idiot to ruin a fine thread. What a shame.

Sorry I had no idea DR phil was a patient of your's and that a public forum was a place to give your Analysis on his mental/emotional state of mind. My dearest apologies!

Again with the ad hominems and a ramble about something that has virtually nothing to do with anything I posted. Get a grip on yourself.

Obviously, you have a personal issue with me. Take it to PM. Then I can say exactly what I want to the way I want to.

Again with the ad hominems and a ramble about something that has virtually nothing to do with anything I posted. Get a grip on yourself.

Obviously, you have a personal issue with me. Take it to PM. Then I can say exactly what I want to the way I want to.

I appreciate you for wanting to take it to pm to hide your snide remarks. But I am completely fine with the transparency the forum allows.

But not all of us are fine with getting every thread derailed. Can we stay on topic of Ron's original post, please?

Great Post Ron...I was implanted last Tuesday. I did alot of searching on the web before I made my decision for the implant that is how I came across this website. it will be a few weeks before i'm turned on, I don't think i will be disappointed with the outcome...

I appreciate you for wanting to take it to pm to hide your snide remarks. But I am completely fine with the transparency the forum allows.

I suggested you take it to PM because you have done nothing for the last several days but try to play out some stupid childish grudge you have. Your behavior is getting very tiresome, and not just to me. You are continually blaming someone else for your inability to understand a discussion. Get over yourself. You are not important enough for me to concern myself with you. I suggest you take the same attitude where I am concerned. I don't want the power over you that you keep giving me. Stand on your own two feet and be a man.

Re: why this system "double posts" no idea.
Deaffy: notice the number of Jillio posts-above- say 41160 since Jun/06. Given the number seems she must access a great deal every day Does she have a real life outside a computer? As for her supposed diagnosis of you-more babbling from a person "chained" to a computer! Hardly valid at all.

Great Post Ron...I was implanted last Tuesday. I did alot of searching on the web before I made my decision for the implant that is how I came across this website. it will be a few weeks before i'm turned on, I don't think i will be disappointed with the outcome...

Thats great. Please let us know how it goes.

Just a little advice. Keep your expectations realistic. The first week or so you'll hear "Sounds" but they won't sound like what they are. you probably won't be able to tell the difference between the sound of a car horn and a dog bark. Or a tap and a ring. They might all sound the same to you at first. Don't let that discourage you. It'll get clearer and clearer over time.

Celebrate the small mile stones. Don't worry about them not sounding right at first. Just think about the fact that you can hear them at all.

I spent my fist week making just about every object I could see or touch make a "Noise". I'd grab to objects and tap them together. Then I'd switch one of the objects and see if I could hear the difference. Some I could tell, some I couldn't, still some I couldn't hear at all. But now, a year later, I can tell.

I cried at my first phone call. So did the person I called. It wasn't a conversation for at that time I still couldn't hear all that well. But it was a huge step. I remember the fist word I could actually distinguish. My audi did a test where she covered her mouth and said words and I was to see if I could tell how many syllables the word had. A month before this I only got 4 right out of 10. This time I got them all right and was even able to identify one of the words. She said a word and I said "Two syllables... Did you just say airplane"!!!? :) That was a huge moment for me.

So many little sounds got to me. I had already experienced, and celebrated the moment I heard my own foot steps. But one day I was walking down a street and heard a sound I couldn't identify. A few steps later I realized the sound was little pebbles skipping away from my feet as I walk.

I got an app on my iphone with bird sounds to help me identify the sound of the birds I hear outside.

So celebrate those little moments. Work toward improving your ability to identify sounds. There are programs that help with this and they'll probably give you some. Mine came with a software for my computer. But there are many other ways to "practice" hearing and some of them are fun. Very fun when you realize you've made an advance such as not being able to identify a sound last week but then all of the sudden you can this week. You can always come here for help on this because I know I and many others in here would have some advice and suggestions for the practicing.

So good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Ron Jaxon

I suggested you take it to PM because you have done nothing for the last several days but try to play out some stupid childish grudge you have. Your behavior is getting very tiresome, and not just to me. You are continually blaming someone else for your inability to understand a discussion. Get over yourself. You are not important enough for me to concern myself with you. I suggest you take the same attitude where I am concerned. I don't want the power over you that you keep giving me. Stand on your own two feet and be a man.

Again I apologise you see it as a grudge. More so I call it how I see it from what I see comming from the other end. If you don't like people stating their mind about how you portray your-self indulgence then I would beckon you to not post on a online forum. Not everyone is going coddle you not everyone is going to agree with you. Sorry that's a fact of life. If these people dislike me for stating my mind. Then well so be-it, I am not here to please everyone. I am here to talk to people about my deafness and journey with my CI and will retaliate when my mental state of mind or selfworth or anything about me is being attacked by a member who has not had the chance to get to know me on a more personal level. Rather than just a few post's on a online forum.

More Alice in Deafland> I am BILATERALLY DEAF SINCE December 20, 2006. This will not change. My doctor then was comparing an Implant to my using the Phonak LL6 with a 85 db loss plus no hearing in my right ear. The situation obviously changed December 20, 2006. He knew the then criteria of the Ontario government paying for the entire Implant operation required one be DEAF IN both ears. This has been changed recently to Profound level which is 85 db.I know can't go back and get an Implant-correct?
Gee don't lets facts get in way!
I am not longer involved with St Michaels ENT-though still in their Family practice section but Sunnybrook/ cochlear Implant section. All Implant decisions are made by Sunnybrook upon through review of one's entire ENT file which in my case including Cdn Hearing Society/Toronto extensive file from my taking Hearing Help courses. In actual fact I knew I easily fit the criteria subject to Xray/scan results. Tumours/cancer etc. In the end the operation happened.
How important is hearing in ones' life?
Jillio your above post-34- surely applies ispo facto to you-pontification on persons you NEVER met-correct?
As for the drivel of pFH hardly worth the effort to point out the number of errors of HIS gross misreading.

drphil - You've mentioned in almost every single post you've ever written exactly the date you went "real deaf", the place you got your CI, every dr, the brand of CI (no serial number ?) ... I'm curious.

You've seem to love giving details - however you've never stated what your final audiogram was when you became "real deaf". I ask this because I've "off the meter" meaning I have +120db loss on my right side - however I also have "tactile response" etc long before +90db... I'm sure that you have the same and I'd be interested in knowing (honestly) what your audiogram looks like now aided (CI) AND unaided (ie "real deaf").

Also you repeatedly mention that you are going to "practice deaf swimming" - I'm interested, since you make a point of stating it, it MUST be different that "hearing swimming" or "Hoh swimming" ... can you please elaborate on how swimming is different and why .

BTW - to prevent "double posting" Please click the "Submit Reply" button ONE TIME and then wait for a few moments.

I know that you aren't computer savvy - so here are some tips to help prevent the double posts :)

Things that will cause you to "Double Post" are:

If you "double click" the "Submit Reply" button (like you might do to open a program, a file on your computer, your internet browser etc) then you will post twice.

If you Click "Submit Reply" once, and then don't wait until the page changes to the new page, so you click the "Submit Reply" button again it will post twice

If you click "Submit Reply" and then you press "refresh" or "reload" (sometimes looks like an open circle/triangle with an arrow on one end) then it will "Resend" or "resubmit" your post making two identical posts.

The easiest way to prevent accidentally having the Browser (program you use to visit AD on such as Internet Explorer or FireFox) resend/repost your message is to do this:

1) When you are ready to post your message click ONCE "Submit Reply"

2) THEN wait ... don't click any buttons on you mouse/trackpad, don't click any buttons on the browser program

3) Once the screen changes it means that you have posted.

4) Then scroll to the top of the AD page and click the "AllDeaf.com" text/folder at the top which will take you to the main message board section again.

This should prevent you from making double posts.

Hope that helps !

Back