Survey Questions for my ASL 110 class

joelene198715

Reaction score
Hello, my name is joelene. can some people help me out, I need to ask a few survey question for my ASL 110 class. thank you so much.
Due to you being deaf, do you feel there are certain things you missed out on?

How did you become deaf? is it in your family?

What would you like hearing people to know about being deaf in order to better our society and everyone's needs?

Do you feel the innovation of technology has helped you in one way or another, such as the invention of TTY?

What is the most difficult thing about being deaf?

i understand,and im sorry but its my homework assignment

i know, if you look around you will find your answers are here already. so most posters on this site will ignore the posts completey. so you would not get any answer at all. just browse and read. :wave:

You guys are very rude. You want the hearing culture to accept you guys. But, you won’t accept the hearing people. How do you want the hearing culture to learn about the deaf culture, but you guy’s wont lets us. You guys are no better then any other culture.

Speaking only for myself; I don't like the feeling of being under a microscope. You have lots to learn, Grasshopper.

Joelene: This is a duplicate-also in Chat

You can peruse the Threads-Cochlear Implant/Hearing Aids,Sign Language for some further thoughts.

hi there some don't get it buti do understand what you mean. i am hard of hearing. so if i can help. i have deaf friends where i live. if that helps i can try help you. peace

You guys are very rude. You want the hearing culture to accept you guys. But, you won’t accept the hearing people. How do you want the hearing culture to learn about the deaf culture, but you guy’s wont lets us. You guys are no better then any other culture.

You've only been here 1 Day....and asking for answers for your homework!...Get off ur lazy arse and do the homework urself!....And as a matter of fact, I couldn't care less if the "Hearing culture" accepted me....AD has gotten thousands of requests the same as yours. So go read the Threads. Doubt we will ever see you around here again....:ty:

In bold; truer words were never spoken. We are also no worse. Acceptance? That is always nice, but under what conditions will the hearing world give it? Do we need to play nice and answer all of these "ASL 101" questions, ad nauseum, from fresh-faced freshmen from hearing families, living in suburban bliss, in order to offered a token bit of acceptance? Or is this simply your one lone foray into the scary world of the handicapped?

One of the hardest things about the fact that I became deaf at 2 years old is that I never experienced the joy of hearing a car with turbocharged engine make VROOM sound.

It would be nice for 2 cultures to come together. The Deaf person can teach the hearing person the sweet feeling of VROOM sounds!!! It would be nice for both Deaf and hearing people to be able to enjoy turbocharged engines together!!!

For the record, I've absolutely no idea what a VROOM sounds like. Are VROOM sounds the same for say a Dodge Stealth RT and Dakota RT??

One of the hardest things about the fact that I became deaf at 2 years old is that I never experienced the joy of hearing a car with turbocharged engine make VROOM sound.

It would be nice for 2 cultures to come together. The Deaf person can teach the hearing person the sweet feeling of VROOM sounds!!! It would be nice for both Deaf and hearing people to be able to enjoy turbocharged engines together!!!

For the record, I've absolutely no idea what a VROOM sounds like. Are VROOM sounds the same for say a Dodge Stealth RT and Dakota RT??

If they feel different it is very likely they sound different.

Lets see- VAROOM is like - well it depends on if its the annoying teen next to you at a light- offering a race- a speeding motorcycle who's going to kill someone or at a car show.

1)VAROOM- VA-VA-VA-VAROOM, this feels like the car catching the ignition before it rolls over, it is choppy and not to pleasant, the feel of rough wood being sanded.

2)VAAAAaaaaAAAAARoooooooooOOOOOOMeeeeeeeeeeeeeee- this gal is on a tiny motorcycle on the highway pushing it all the way open, it's sound would be the feel of someone suddenly walking up behind you and placing to large (hot or cold) hands on your shoulders where they meet your neck... this is because in daylight you hear these guys long before you see them but cant place where it is, when they show up going 110 MPH by you you are surprised because the sound and the appearance do not match each other. (the sound lies to us, and at night with the tiny lights on those things forget it) these engines are screaming for air and mercy. If someone suddenly passes you on a sidewalk on a bike or skateboard- the 'whoosh' feeling "hey! what was that!?!" feeling.

3) A Muscle car, race car, truck show or classic car show -these things more "Rum-bum-bum-bum-bum-rrrrrrr-" then 'VAROOM' like the feel of a steady beat in base drums- it's very powerful and deep. The feel of the sound is akin to it's physical sound. Those machines rock you as you stand next to them running or being revved. They are quieter overall but much more powerful. The engine is not whiny

4) Monster trucks- they growl and not 'Varoom' either, they are the sound of thunder constantly. Or the feel of an airport outside as the planed land less then a 1/4 mile away.

-
Sorry if this didn't help. But this is how the sounds feel to me in reality and in context of other experiences.

Joelene, I get that you want to find two people to answer the questions so you have a complete profile of two people, rather than a mash-up of several people, but you would not believe how many posts just like yours are on here. Every teacher has a slightly different assignment so it seems like nobody (if they even bother to read the posts that are already here) is able to use what is already here.

But put yourself in the shoes of everyone here. You come here to discuss your daily life, frustrations, joys, confusion, current events, and get bombarded with questions that make you feel like a zoo exhibit. It gets a bit old, I'm sure.

Plus, as a language teacher, I would not be happy if you did a project by posting questions on a message board you stumbled onto online. I would have assigned you the interview so that you would actually meet face-to-face with real, live deaf people. (or whatever language group we were studying). No doubt your teacher knows that there is a local deaf community and expects you to find THAT, if he/she didn't actually tell you where to go.

hi

I help you anything in deaf culture. Just ask or can give email. To you.:)

Back