Too many VRS Providers

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
More New VRS Providers? Convo Relay? You Got Be Kidding?!3
Aug/09
5Honestly, I don’t think we need more new VRS providers and we had enough, let’s focus on real VRS providers like Sorenson, HOVRS, SnapVRS and others who are the true providers. I do not need affiliate providers that is under a VRS company.

Look how many VRS we have today? Almost to 55!! FCC is very mad and they are cutting rates this September or October then it will force VRS to make cutbacks, we have tooo MANY. VRS are dirty business and stealing OUR taxpayers money and abuse it. Go read about Viable story if you know about it. Also, The Z needs to get rid all of affiliates providers and instead use ONE VRS, it’s enough. We don’t need VRSFLA, what for? That’s stupid. If FCC makes new proposed cuts, they got my vote. We need to fix VRS system very bad.

I hope that FCC will make changes and force all VRS providers to make some changes and make it more effective for deaf customers to use the VRS system. I will not use any new VRS providers, I rather use my current provider, it’s good enough for me and I am happy with it and why waste use other providers, too confusing.

YOU deaf people need to speak up your voices by telling the story to FCC and that is the only way they can fix it up and DONT tell to VRS, they won’t do anything because they are slow and tend to avoid it so FCC is the best start to speak up to.

More New VRS Providers? Convo Relay? You Got Be Kidding?! Crazy Deaf Joe Blog

I dislike too many VRS. Should be up to five VRS providers limit! FCC s stupid to waste money for too many vrs providers.

I agree. I have worked for several providers and each one is very drasic from the other. each VRS provider have their own reason why they are successful. At the second last VRS provider I worked for, I suggested that they should start buying other VRS'es and merge with their own like Microsoft did to own the technology and success. Look at Microsoft and yahoo. If you looked at the history of Microsoft when they first had windows 3.0 and 3.11 widely used, the been buying little companies or rights to the little itty bitty software they developed and integrated into windows making it their own and they are still number one. Microsoft owns now owns dos, making it ms-dos. They did defrag, other norton stuff and put it in windows. do i need to do on?

Imagine Sorenson and purple merged with viable? look at vp200 technology and purple MVP and text relay, purple mail, multiple vps on same public ip and viable ways of bypassing firewall issues? Can you imagine the great future when they integrate each other technologies and ideas ? I would love to combine all this for ONE person and have all these great services available for us ? I could go on and on and on- but I am going to leave this up to you guys to voice your opinions here!

55 VRS companies?! :shock: Where can I find the list of 55 VRS companies?

I remember there were around 12 companies only a few years ago.

Yes I could not agree with you more.

Thanks Chevy for the link.

Yeah, we don't need 55 vrs companies....that's like having having too many software you don't need on a computer. They really need to cut down and use the ones that are the most popular, to save taxpayer's money and confusion.

I know there are more than 50 VRS providers, the only thing I know is that there are about 19 VRS providers that actually gets paid directly from FCC; while the rest are just subsidies to one of these 19 VRS providers and get paid commssion from one of theseVRS providers that routed calls to them.

For example SmallVRS corp works under ACMEVRS, the ACMEVRS gets money from FCC, and pays to SmallVRS the percentage of what ACMEVRS gets money from FCC. Subsidies usually kicks in whenever ACMEVRS gets overloaded with calls.

It is one way for them to keep calls under control. They treated their subsidies as back up for their call loads. Waste of government money? More likely no, because if they don't get calls, they don't get paid.

Convo Relay and ConvoIM

100% deaf owned Convo Relay has launched ConvoIM, a iChat based service for Deaf Mac Owners who enjoy using VRS on their Mac Computers or Laptops. Also, iChat is a fantastic video tool for deaf people to communicate with each other as well.

We’re the only second provider to do this in the history of VRS.

Also one of our founders, Ed Bosson, is the inventor of Video Relay Service.

We, in Australia have only 1 VRS service --- if you didnt know about it, yes, we do have 1 one now. :)

I don't see a problem having too many VRS in the business. How many deaf and Hard of Hearing people are in the United States? I would say a plenty of them.

If an employee get fired from the job, he/she could apply for another VRS company. Why not? Maybe, some of them hate their boss or uncomfortable environment for a reason. Who knows.

I think that FCC is not the real issue. FCC does have plenty of money because it collects all of money from invention fees, cable fees (see your monthly bills), telephone fees (see your monthly bills), medical research equipment fees, and many more.

I believe that there are 11 VRS companies. Here is the list: http://www.vrsreview.com/index.php?option=com_jreviews&Itemid=30

Actually, there is about 18 or 19 VRS providers existing and many more affiliates hooking up just like what deafhardbiker explained.

I agree with some that it doesn't make any difference regarding FCC paying for more call minutes although I agree that it might be little too many VRS providers. Like radioman saying that it might be good for some VRS providers to merge which Purple and Z did to strengthen themselves in the competition.

There is a brand-new VRS provider coming up that is called PAHRelay at PAHRelay - Personal. Accessible. Honest. by the way. I think PAHRelay is based in Indy and is just started.

I would like to add my comment. Many people are still having more babies, and they will be looking for a 2nd job. That would take away your future job. There is no law to control the population. This result is that we will need more VRS than you imagine it in the future.

We don't know what would happen in the future. There might be a very few VRS services for deaf people's needs because many foreigners always come in our country. They will need more video interpreter services that would rob our needs. Maybe, they will take away from your job. Is that scary for you to see the four walls around you again with no access like the old days?

I don't see a problem having too many VRS in the business. How many deaf and Hard of Hearing people are in the United States? I would say a plenty of them.

If an employee get fired from the job, he/she could apply for another VRS company. Why not? Maybe, some of them hate their boss or uncomfortable environment for a reason. Who knows.

I think that FCC is not the real issue. FCC does have plenty of money because it collects all of money from invention fees, cable fees (see your monthly bills), telephone fees (see your monthly bills), medical research equipment fees, and many more.

I believe that there are 11 VRS companies. Here is the list: Video Relay Review - Relay Providers - VRS Providers

vrsreview.com is not up to date as you can see that CSDVRS is still there. Should be ZVRS. HAWKS out of business?

Lets put this way, I believe the purpose of this is to be functionally equilvent.

If we have less VRS providers or less subsidies the result may be just like few years ago where we have to wait long time for next available operator. Would this be functionally equilvent if we have to wait for an hour for next VRS operator to answer the call? I am sure you get the idea.

We are pretty much closer to really functionally equilvent with hearing people who enjoy their freedom of calling anytime without any barriers.

DHB

Back