Is it ever ok for kids NOT to use ASL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm, That is interesting because I have never met a single parent who made a choice because of what others would think of them.
They do it because they think it is best for their child.

Perhaps you haven't had the opportunity to look below the suface as many times as I have.

Perhaps you haven't had the opportunity to look below the suface as many times as I have.

I just think you start at the perspective that hearing parents don't understand the Deaf community, want to change their children, are shallow and uneducated. I, on the other hand, give them the benefit of the doubt. I believe the VAST majority of parents are doing the best they know how, and when they know better, they do better. But they are coming from a place of love.

Honestly, if someone starts making assumptions about how the child should be raised without even looking at the child/situation at all, they have an agenda. This applies from both ends. One can argue that hearing parents just want to "fix" their child or worry about what others would think just as well as one could argue that deaf people want to make the child learn ASL in order to keep the deaf community alive. To me, most of the time, it's neither, people are simply doing the best they can.

I just think you start at the perspective that hearing parents don't understand the Deaf community, want to change their children, are shallow and uneducated. I, on the other hand, give them the benefit of the doubt. I believe the VAST majority of parents are doing the best they know how, and when they know better, they do better. But they are coming from a place of love.

Perhaps that is what you think, but nothing could be farther from the truth.

Doing the best one knows how, and doing what is actually the most beneficial, are two very different things. Good intentions do not necessarily produce good results.

Honestly, if someone starts making assumptions about how the child should be raised without even looking at the child/situation at all, they have an agenda. This applies from both ends. One can argue that hearing parents just want to "fix" their child or worry about what others would think just as well as one could argue that deaf people want to make the child learn ASL in order to keep the deaf community alive. To me, most of the time, it's neither, people are simply doing the best they can.

And that is the difference. I have spoken to many of these parents, and their children, as well, from an in depth perspective.

And so have I. Maybe we just talked to different groups.

Did you do it as a professional on a therapeutic level, or as just another parent of a deaf child? There is a difference, you know.

My agenda is....that no child should ever be deprived of full access to language, communication, and education.

Did you do it as a professional on a therapeutic level, or as just another parent of a deaf child? There is a difference, you know.

I do it as a parent supporter and mentor to parents of deaf kids.

I do it as a parent supporter and mentor to parents of deaf kids.

In other words, as a volunteer layperson. I do it as a professional in a therapeutic environment. Our perspectives are quite different in dealing with these parents and their children.

What about as a supporter for deaf people themselves?

I believe by supporting and educating parents of deaf children I am changing the world for the next generation of deaf people.

I also support my local Deaf community through fundraising and activism.

I believe by supporting and educating parents of deaf children I am changing the world for the next generation of deaf people.

Oh u are changing the world for the next generation of deaf people?

In other words, as a volunteer layperson. I do it as a professional in a therapeutic environment. Our perspectives are quite different in dealing with these parents and their children.

What exactly is your job? I thought you worked as a educational advisor for handicapped students at college.

Good for you. That doesn't change your perspective from that of a layperson. It takes a bit more that sharing your personal experience to assist parents in probing deep into their reactions and actions, and to assist their children in dealing with issues that have been created for them.

If my child is, by nature, visual, I'd accomodate.

If My child is, by nature, audio, I'd accomodate.

Unfortunately, Hearing don't thing the same.

If my child is, by nature, visual, I'd accomodate.

If My child is, by nature, audio, I'd accomodate.

Unfortunately, Hearing don't thing the same.

No kidding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back