Do you support a cure for deafness?

Do you support a cure for deafness?

• Total voters
My schools covered them. All campus events as well.

But I had hearing friends that liked going to off-campus plays at the time, and no one wanted to split the costs.

Oh ok gotcha.

I agree with you 100%. I have stated over and over I think it would be wrong to force people to accept a cure. I wear a hearing aid now. I hate it but I find it necessary for golf. My brain has to hear the different types of contact I am making in order to make adjustments and play my best. I am against CIs for me as I stated somewhere else. I have had enough surgeries and don't want another. I would go postal if someone tried to force me into a CI.

That being said, I am very happy there are CIs for people who want them. If something comes along that restores peoples hearing I will be happy for the people that want that too.

I didn't vote in this poll because it didn't say "cure those who want to be cured - not the babies or little children".

If one want CI and is very willing to accept the risks, then go ahead. I don't want CI because I see it as a very expensive form of hearing aid. I don't like the risks that go with CI. Babies and children had no choice if their parents had them implanted and that is so wrong.

One thing I am afraid of saying that only deaf adults can go for CI because the hearing people would try to lower the age limits. You know, give them an inch and they will take all.

I didn't vote in this poll because it didn't say "cure those who want to be cured - not the babies or little children".

If one want CI and is very willing to accept the risks, then go ahead. I don't want CI because I see it as a very expensive form of hearing aid. I don't like the risks that go with CI. Babies and children had no choice if their parents had them implanted and that is so wrong.

One thing I am afraid of saying that only deaf adults can go for CI because the hearing people would try to lower the age limits. You know, give them an inch and they will take all.

I agree again. I have no problem with parents giving kids HAs really, that's their choice but CIs are much more invasive.

Let me know if you need material. My life is a comedy.:lol:

I actually borrowed your joke about bathing baby in kitchen sink and turning on garbage disposal unit for jacuzzi purpose :lol:

they loved it :ty:

Not sure where you get the impression that I am late deafened because I was born totally deaf.

oh my apology. I think I missed your name and I'm supposed to color your name as red because I didn't know your hearing background.

I actually borrowed your joke about bathing baby in kitchen sink and turning on garbage disposal unit for jacuzzi purpose :lol:

Lol thats great. Glad to help.

Right now I wish I didn't have such a vivid imagination. :P

I am currently involved ina project which is trying to do just that (or at least, give people a significantly better option than an CI), so of course I do.

I am also severe hoh myself, which will advance to profound and than totallly deaf in about 15 years.

To answer the question, no there is no magic cure. We can do ci's to help the bones recieve sound if the folicle hairs are damaged, there's... whats it called, when you hear with bone vibrations. It can be very helpful, but

The cure I need is beyond grasp
The cure I need is beyond grasp
Remembering songs and melodies and laughs
Got to keep the good times from the past

Also to answer if I think hearing so go tell Deaf people how to live, I don't agree with that. I'd give a child a ci or whatever, because they're gonna have to work and this is a hearing world.

Also to answer if I think hearing so go tell Deaf people how to live, I don't agree with that. I'd give a child a ci or whatever, because they're gonna have to work and this is a hearing world.

There are plenty of deaf people without CIs who have jobs.

^ true and I wasn't talking about ci's I was talking about trying to help a child if I could. speech, sign, both, It's all good.

Yes I do. Now to be clear I don't support government funded research. But if private companies want to use their dollars or donated dollars to research this have at it.

Whether or not I personally would choose to use the cure is irrelevant. It would be great to have a cure for those who wished to use it. I feel it would be tremendously selfish of me to deny someone the abilityto hear just because I don't want a cure for myself.

Great Answer!!!!!!

I have joined this forum as a unfortunate unlaterially Late deafened person who was a Laboratory scientist not so long ago.
The main reason for joining this forum is to state my complete and utter disappointment and frustration with those who move against a cure for hearing.
Has anyone here heard of Tinnitus.For some people including the late deafened me ,this is the most disturbing and unforseen circumstance of hearing loss.
Maybe people against a cure should have a look at a few tinnitus forums before considering thier verdict on a cure.I have known the absolute amazment of sound to emotion and feelings and if I had a choice id rather be hearing than have my legs.
Have your culture but do not assume that hearing loss is all good and preservation is in everyones minds.For some it leads them to eternal suffering through the tinnitus it creates and the sounds they wish to hear again.I am so hoping for a cure for the loss ive had due to two weeks of antibiotic medication that has turned my life upside down !!!

I have joined this forum as a unfortunate unlaterially Late deafened person who was a Laboratory scientist not so long ago.
The main reason for joining this forum is to state my complete and utter disappointment and frustration with those who move against a cure for hearing.
Has anyone here heard of Tinnitus.For some people including the late deafened me ,this is the most disturbing and unforseen circumstance of hearing loss.
Maybe people against a cure should have a look at a few tinnitus forums before considering thier verdict on a cure.I have known the absolute amazment of sound to emotion and feelings and if I had a choice id rather be hearing than have my legs.
Have your culture but do not assume that hearing loss is all good and preservation is in everyones minds.For some it leads them to eternal suffering through the tinnitus it creates and the sounds they wish to hear again.I am so hoping for a cure for the loss ive had due to two weeks of antibiotic medication that has turned my life upside down !!!

I got tinnitus, and I don't want a cure since deafness is all I have known. :)

Problem is that some countries like Sweden mandate that every deaf baby must have a CI... and people are worried if the cure for deafness is found that the government would enforce that same policy here... in America.

We should bomb Sweden.......actually, we should take their women.......then bomb them.

Back