15 years implant user...

Oh I know that. I am just wondering about the processor itself. There is something that is somewhat hindering me from wanting the N5.

You may not be able to PM yet, happy to answer here on the forum if that's the case.

From what I've gathered, the N5 has the remote whereas you'd be able to adjust the settings without having to take off your CI. I could see it coming in handy in places whereas there's a noisy background, such as in Restaurants, etc.

Hi I am hard of hearing i am surprise to read this guess that up to for every one but i glad my parent would not do this to me i rather not want CI at all i have a friend have one and i saw that break my heart cause i don't feel normal with that there was man try to push me to get one i gave him an answer No i told him don't feel like a robot chip that not for me .... i do have hearing aid i only wear it around with my parent now they are gone other wise i happy who i am without it ...... so be what you want to do it will make god happy do the right thing. :)

I was hoping you can help me with the mics on the N5.
Since I had BTE and harmony with my right (strongest hearing), I had a "t-bic" which is a mic that is near the ear canal. Obviously, AB patented this so Cochlear can't create a mic similar to the "t-bic"
This is the harmony with the t-bic (labeled)

Now the N5 has 2 mics ON the processor on top. This made me somewhat in disgust with the design of where they placed the mics because I really do depend on the t-bic since I wear headphones a lot at home and always have my cell hold like natural.
The headphones I have arent just headphones, theyre around the ear headphones: (picture of what I actually use at home)

My question is, would the headphones make it much harder to hear since the cushion would be pressed on the N5?

A lot of CI users just use the earbuds that come with many devices, and tuck them behind the ear, using the t-coil setting to pick up the sound, which I've heard is excellent. The N5s have an auto t-coil detect feature (we don't use it ourselves: with a 4yo, it's too easy for her processors to switch over without us realizing it, leaving her on t-coil when she shouldn't be)

My daughter has recently been using TecEar's induction microphones when listening to music on iphone and ipad (she's bilateral, so we use the dual set for stereo sound). These have been great, because she doesn't typically wear her processors on her ears: they don't have a cushion, just a hook and can be placed next to her processors atop her ponytail holders near the top of the head.

She's used noise canceling headphones with the around-the-ear style (vs the compact cushion on-the-ear styles) when we're in crazy noisy places, like on an airplane or a train -- either attached to a DVD player or just to block external sounds when we're using the lapel mic (which we've done very infrequently, and only on a couple of long car rides). When she uses the cushion headphones, she wears her processors tucked into the headphones, placing the headphones on her ears or hanging just behind them, with processors inside. I haven't noticed that she was experiencing any dampening of the sound because of where the 2 mics are located on the processor.

You may want to check with the folks over on cochlearimplantonline.com where there are quite a few HS and early college CI users sharing tips and tricks.

GrendelQ

I'm wondering - is there a reason you don't use the Personal Audio Cable (which seems to be the same as the DAI cable on HAs - which is what I use to listen to music etc since it directly connects, thus eliminating all background noise when listening)

GrendelQ

I'm wondering - is there a reason you don't use the Personal Audio Cable (which seems to be the same as the DAI cable on HAs - which is what I use to listen to music etc since it directly connects, thus eliminating all background noise when listening)

We have used the PAC at home, with the television -- sometimes. Not often though, bc my daughter is pretty active and tends to forget she's wired to the TV and wander into the bathroom or across the house, and she'd likely take the TV with her :) But it's also less necessary at home -- we can control the noise -- not a lot of jet engines and train whistles :).

It's got a really a long cord, so she would need to stash all that excess wire somewhere when listening to iphone, and it only delivers sound to one CI, rather than providing stereo sound to both CIs, as the Tec-ear does. The lapel mic I described does plug directly into the processor. Also, some of our accessories are for the Freedom, we just upgraded to the N5 this past year, so for the PAC, we'd have to use a very small connector to make it compatible -- no big deal, but just another piece. we might lose when out and about .

Welcome to AllDeaf. Bad luck to have AB broken twice. That is rare, once is more common than twice. 4 implants in total. Wow.

Hi i think you should get the N5. I have the external part on my right ear , and I really like it. Its so light on my ear, and it has a remote(you dont have to use the remote, 2 buttons, one for telecoil, and one that changes programs/turn on or off) Advanced bionics has had recalls lately. Imagine what it would feel like if there was something wrong with the implant inside your head!

Back